1 - 1 of 1 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
106RR196LIB
V.I.P. Member
(6/3/01 10:59:25 pm)
| Del All The Cook
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The AT (heavy weapons) platoon had a standing offer to any infantryman. We will pull you out of your present assignment if you will work in heavy weapons. No questions asked. We got no voluntary takers at all.
Then one day a cook showed up and wanted to transfer. We explained that he would be a snowball in hell without infantry skills. He wanted to be trained. One of our gunners agreed to train the guy if the medics approved. The medics said he was not a mental case. He was trained in about 5 weeks. He worked hard and was a good soldier. We all thought he would try to transfer back out when it got hot. He stayed. He was perhaps the most courageous cook in the army. I never saw him again after the NVA took hill 445, but his name is not on the Wall. If you run into an African American cook named Bisbee (nickname "Bee") tell him he has my respect.
Mike H
BTW -- Bee was ineligible for the CIB because his MOS was not infantry. He fought along side us but can't get the medal.

homer4
(6/4/01 8:03:42 am)
| Del Re: The Cook
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's correct Mike!...neither can I alltho right in the mix with the MATS. While not seeing the amount of action(Thank God) as many had...especially certain units in AO's...I did see some more than others as a smoke and mud GI.

Wasn't awarded the CIB,just some Meritorius ribbon for assisting the Mat's and Puff's at Can Tho...got a Certificate verifying,a hand shake and a picture...it's upstairs...maybe I'll post it...but would feel a bit bragadocio when nothing to boast of. But to be honest...I would have proudly(call it boasting) worn and declared a CIB if having been allowed to wear one.

There are many many cases such as the fellow called Bee or me. Military Regs say otherwise...those that have other MOS's than 11B and the like will still feel a kinship with the Line Dogs.

Good post.
...and two hard boiled eggs.

gorourke
V.I.P. Member
(6/4/01 9:51:47 pm)
Homer,

This is for you Brother. I know my fellow grunts would approve.

P. Gary

Edited by: gorourke at: 6/4/01 10:55:45 pm

gorourke
V.I.P. Member
(6/4/01 10:19:47 pm)
Homer,

www.22ndinfantry.org/cib.htm

Take a look at this page. Think back about your assignment. There is a section there for other then 11B MOS. You know your tour, you may meet the requirements for a retroactive C.I.B.

P. Gary

homer4
(6/5/01 4:24:08 pm)
Man P! Thanks! I won't forget this bud! Symbolic...I know but sure do appreciate the intent!

At that site under Special Provisions Vietnam 4C..."personaly serving in an assigned primary duty" fits my definition but the fact is is that we rotated or were supposed to...I tried to trade off Sa Dec Provence HQ for the bush in the District Unit's.

I'm not sure if they would consider a rotating Sig Bn RTO as "primary duty"...we were there to assist the MAT's...the War was winding down and ground combat units were being pulled on a regular schedule.

Looks like I'll have to investigate further.

Thanks P! Won't forget it.

gorourke
V.I.P. Member
(6/5/01 10:01:05 pm)
Homer,

A symbolic C.I.B, bestowed with gratitude.

P. Gary

106RR196LIB
V.I.P. Member
(6/7/01 4:30:14 pm)
You get my vote for a CIB Homer!
Mike H

hope6970
(6/7/01 5:44:01 pm)
Homer,

If I were you I would check into the matter and not let it go. There are quite a few guys who received their medals a lot later, that were not at the time eligible to receive them. You never know, look into it. - Good Luck!

Misterstan
(6/7/01 7:47:27 pm)
Homer,

Please keep us posted on your progress.

We are all behind you 110%.

Stan Lambert
St. Clair Shores, Michigan

Indybear57
(6/7/01 8:50:59 pm)
| Del
ezSupporter
Re: The Cook
Homer,

If they give you a rough time we'll sic Donna, Hope, and Patty on 'em!

We're backing you all the way! Let us know if there's anything we can do to help.

Mike L

oneknight
(6/7/01 9:59:19 pm)
Homer,

Cheering you on all the way! Wishing you the best.

Donna

homer4
(6/8/01 8:16:42 pm)
Thank you guys!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts