The final word on MOI on practice ammo vs completion on break in

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by Corvette95, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Corvette95

Corvette95 Active Member

plan to do 100 yard zero on RPR 6.5 Monday. I have ballistics app ( no wind Bluetooth device ) shooting inside . Want 100 yard zero . Tips and suggestions appreciated!!!!!
    Thanks!

2. Jester560

Jester560 Well-Known Member

Tip#1- be safe in all things firearms

Tip #2- it should only take 2 shots to zero your rifle.

3. vassago

vassago Well-Known Member

If you would like to get any useful answers it helps to formulate a clear question.
    As it is now I have no clue what you want and what you have, also the title has no relation to the subject. Read the question and assume we don't know anything, if you can come up with an answer so should we.

How is your rifle zero'd now? What scope are you using would help to start with.

I am assume you have your rifle zero'd for xxx yards and want an adjustment to 100 yards?
    Or are you using practice ammo and you want a zero for the competition ammo?

4. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

Your poi will change when you shoot outside if there is a breeze. The only tip I can give you is remember your sight picture for all shots. Do not rush and slowly squeeze, when the rifle finally fires it should almost be a surprise/

BlackEagle likes this.
  5. BlackEagle

BlackEagle TFF Chaplain Supporting Member

Use a bench rest.

Aim at the same spot every time.

I usually fire five rounds to see the point of impact (POI), then make adjustments to the scope. I have been advised to only adjust horizontal and see where the POI is, and then vertical; or vertical then horizontal, but not both at the same time.

Your scope should tell you how much one "click" on the adjustment is--1/4, 1/2 of a minute of angle (MOA) per click. One inch at 100 yards is 1 MOA. If you need to change the POI by 1 inch at 100 yards, you adjust the scope 4 clicks if each click is 1/4 MOA. The scope should tell you which way to twist the adjustment for up, down, right or left. If it needs to come up, twist the adjustment knob in the "up" direction.

Let us know how you get on, and if you have more questions, just ask. We're more than glad to help. Others will probably have better info.

ms6852 likes this.
  6. Screener

Screener Well-Known Member

My RPR has been flawless with a Nikon F1000 scope (mil). I've found my reloads reduced five shot groups by about 1/3. As stated, slow squeeze and try to find a comfortable position and stay with it. For practice ammo, before reloading , Hornaday ELD match 140 gn has worked well for me

7. Corvette95

Corvette95 Active Member

597CECF2-679C-48FA-9D56-5B09EAE673E1.jpeg Well Hornady 6.5 ELD match is worth the money , tried a less expensive break in ammo, it was one inch lower MOA at 100. Here is today’s sight in with the Hornady.

BlackEagle likes this.