The Flag Raisers of Iwo Jima

Discussion in 'VMBB General Discussion' started by inplanotx, Mar 8, 2003.

1. inplanotx

inplanotx Active Member

berto64
    *VMBB Staff*
    (2/23/02 10:16:05 pm)

The Flag Raisers of Iwo Jima
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A 2 hour program on the History Channel about the Battle for Iwo and the men involved in Both flag raisings.
    Damned fine program! A lot of period film in color and excellent narration.

You Misguided Children out there might want to check it out.

U ncle
    S am's
    M isguided
    C hildren

spanky

Endeaver to Persevere

TallTLynn
    *VMBB Staff*
    (2/24/02 12:44:17 am)

Re: The Flag Raisers of Iwo Jima
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It was good the first time round berto. So good I'm watching it again.

high2fly
    *Senior Chief Of Staff*
    (2/24/02 7:10:44 am)
    Reply Re: The Flag Raisers of Iwo Jima
    It was one of those narrations that stir your emotions as few other things can. I always pay close attention to that specific program because of my friend, Frank Densmore having been there. Over the years there has been much bruh-ha-ha about the events being staged---I often felt those remarks by some who weren't even there, took away some of the pride and glory of the day. If you watched the same program about it as I have seen, even Joe Rosenthal, the AP photographer, said he wasn't even prepared for the shot that he took--that it was quite by a reflex action. Frank has often related the sounds from the ships out in the ocean that day the flag was seen there on the Mount---he said the ships horns blasted until they overrode the sounds of the guns. He was only 19 that day and moments after watching the raising, a Jap grenade just about tore his head off. In his relatings of what he was told of his evacuation out to the hospital ship, those facilities were so overwhelmed with casualties, that he had to be placed aboard on old cargo ship and treated in that sickbay by navy corpsman, as they didn't have a medical doctor on board. If you wish to read about Frank, I have a story, LEST WE FORGET over in my story section. Wilborn