The Greatest True Story, Ever

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 4EvrLearning, Apr 11, 2009.

1. 4EvrLearning

4EvrLearning New Member

In keeping with this time of celebration, I put together a "condensed version" of what I consider the most wonderful true story, ever. It is not meant to offend any who don't believe as I do, but rather to share with those who do. I know it's lengthy...but no apologies this time :)

John 14:1-6 Jesus Comforts His Disciples
    “Do not let your heart be troubled; believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father's house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you. If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also. And you know the way where I am going."

Thomas said to Him, "Lord, we do not know where You are going, how do we know the way?"

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.”

Matthew 20:17-19

As Jesus was about to go up to Jerusalem, He took the twelve disciples aside by themselves, and on the way He said to them, "Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem; and the Son of Man will be delivered to the chief priests and scribes, and they will condemn Him to death, and will hand Him over to the Gentiles to mock and scourge and crucify Him, and on the third day He will be raised up."

John 20:1-18

Now on the first day of the week Mary Magdalene came early to the tomb, while it was still dark, and saw the stone already taken away from the tomb. So she ran and came to Simon Peter and to the other disciple whom Jesus loved, and said to them, "They have taken away the Lord out of the tomb, and we do not know where they have laid Him."

So Peter and the other disciple went forth, and they were going to the tomb.

The two were running together; and the other disciple ran ahead faster than Peter and came to the tomb first; and stooping and looking in, he saw the linen wrappings lying there; but he did not go in.

And so Simon Peter also came, following him, and entered the tomb; and he saw the linen wrappings lying there, and the face-cloth which had been on His head, not lying with the linen wrappings, but rolled up in a place by itself.

So the other disciple who had first come to the tomb then also entered, and he saw and believed. For as yet they did not understand the Scripture, that He must rise again from the dead. So the disciples went away again to their own homes.

But Mary was standing outside the tomb weeping; and so, as she wept, she stooped and looked into the tomb; and she saw two angels in white sitting, one at the head and one at the feet, where the body of Jesus had been lying.

And they said to her, "Woman, why are you weeping?" She said to them, "Because they have taken away my Lord, and I do not know where they have laid Him."

When she had said this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing there, and did not know that it was Jesus.

Jesus said to her, "Woman, why are you weeping? Whom are you seeking?" Supposing Him to be the gardener, she said to Him, "Sir, if you have carried Him away, tell me where you have laid Him, and I will take Him away."

Jesus said to her, "Mary!" She turned and said to Him in Hebrew, "Rabboni!" (which means, Teacher).

Jesus said to her, "Stop clinging to Me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to My brethren and say to them, 'I ascend to My Father and your Father, and My God and your God.'"

Mary Magdalene came, announcing to the disciples, "I have seen the Lord," and that He had said these things to her.

Luke 24:33-53

And they got up that very hour and returned to Jerusalem, and found gathered together the eleven and those who were with them, saying, "The Lord has really risen and has appeared to Simon."

They began to relate their experiences on the road and how He was recognized by them in the breaking of the bread.

While they were telling these things, He Himself stood in their midst and said to them, "Peace be to you." But they were startled and frightened and thought that they were seeing a spirit.

And He said to them, "Why are you troubled, and why do doubts arise in your hearts? See My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself; touch Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have."
    And when He had said this, He showed them His hands and His feet.
    While they still could not believe it because of their joy and amazement, He said to them, "Have you anything here to eat?"

They gave Him a piece of a broiled fish; and He took it and ate it before them.

Now He said to them, "These are My words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things which are written about Me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled."

Then He opened their minds to understand the Scriptures, and He said to them, "Thus it is written, that the Christ would suffer and rise again from the dead the third day, and that repentance for forgiveness of sins would be proclaimed in His name to all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem.

"You are witnesses of these things.

"And behold, I am sending forth the promise of My Father upon you; but you are to stay in the city until you are clothed with power from on high."

And He led them out as far as Bethany, and He lifted up His hands and blessed them.

While He was blessing them, He parted from them and was carried up into heaven.

And they, after worshiping Him, returned to Jerusalem with great joy, and were continually in the temple praising God.

Taken from the New American Standard Bible (NASB) Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  2. EddieS1967

EddieS1967 Member

Isn't it wonderful, when you realize that he made this sacrifice for every individual, on a personal basis, because he loved you even before you were born. All you have to do is be willing to accept, free of charge, the greatest gift that has or ever will be given to you!!!!

3. Nighthawk

Nighthawk New Member

AMEN!

4. artabr

artabr New Member

Thanks for the thread 4Ever. ;) :)

Art

5. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

The Greatest Story Ever Told wrapped up in just a few words. Thank you so much for posting it, 4Evr !!!!

It is so simple; but also so terribly difficult for some.

I thank God every day for the Gift of Life. Come all ye and accept the freely given gift..... Freely given and, yet, PRICELESS.

6. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Amen!

Happy Resurrection Sunday to all! :D

7. johnfausch

johnfausch New Member

4Ever - Have you found it amazing that the Holy Scripture was not written to just one denomination or just one group of people? Thank you and God Bless you for your faith.
    "In the beginning was the WORD...the WORD was made flesh... HE LIVES!!"

8. 4EvrLearning

4EvrLearning New Member

Eddie...it is beyond comprehending, yet simple enough for a child to understand :)

Art...you're welcome; it was my pleasure to post. :)

Marlin...Priceless gift, indeed...a sinless life given in exchange for mine...mercy and grace beyond compare!

grae...and to you, as well :)

john...sadly, denominations have done more to fracture the Truth than anything else. No fault of the Word...but of its recipients. More cause to need mercy and grace! :eek:

9. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

You know that it is simple enough for a child to understand. I often wonder why it is that every person can't say these few words that can save them from eternal damnation:

Dear Lord Jesus, I believe that You died for my sins and God raised You from the dead. I admit that I am a sinner, and the best that I know how, I turn away from my sins to You. I ask You to come into my heart and be my Lord and Savior. Thank you for saving and forgiving me. With Your help, I will live for You for the rest of my life. All of this I ask in Jesus’ name.
    Amen

10. EddieS1967

EddieS1967 Member

Just thought it was kinda sad, that on Easter Sunday, this thread was sliding toward the bottom of the page.

11. 4EvrLearning

4EvrLearning New Member

Thanks for "raising it up," Eddie....the symbolism of that isn't lost on me! :) Hope you and yours, and everyone else here, are having a blessed day, remembering our Lord's sacrifice and victory!

12. johnfausch

johnfausch New Member

4Evr - you are refreshingly wise.

johnfausch

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009