The Firearms Forum banner
41 - 60 of 84 Posts
Here's the description of pretty much the same model and blade design as yours. This one may be a bit lighter and the one I seem to keep coming back to.

" View attachment 293303
When you think of khukuris, the gurkhas immediately spring to mind and so it is only natural that the service issue khukuris are such popular and sought after pieces. With this in mind we’ve taken the current service issue blade (the mk5) and split it into two different categories- the Modern and the Historical Service Issue.
The Modern military version’s primary issue is that it is produced by whichever of the larger houses is the lowest bidder for the contract. The lowest bidder as a result is usually the house which can either afford to lose the most money or has the most efficient production line. This is inevitably a producer of tourist style khukuris, because the market is so large and the style of khukuri is a lot simpler. As a result of this the Modern Service No.1 has a lot of the same issues that tourist knives have. Unreasonably thick at the spine, a thick, inefficient grind, a shape based more off ease of forging than any functional criteria of performance or balance.

The Historical version of this blade produced from the early 50’s into the late 80’s is an entirely different beast. Longer, broader, sharper, meaner in just about every way. The rat tail tang and polished buffalo handle remains unchanged and is an absolute classic, but the blade is drastically different. Coming in at 11.5″ long it has much more tip speed for superior chopping, brushwork and combat performance but actually comes in at approximately the same weight due to the much higher level of craft involved. The knife features a slimmer spine, steeper primary grind, and a large gentle fuller which all help to decrease cutting resistance and lower the overall weight. While the blade profile looks beefier than the Modern version, the distal taper and hollow forging gives the blade a wonderful refined and agile balance while the broader belly and extra length allows the blade serious controlled power once you put some energy behind a swing.

The combination of high speed and moderate power in such a compact, low weight khukuri makes for a very versatile, light-all-rounder. It thrives doing finer work around camp like carving and food prep as well as being fast and whippy enough to clear brush well despite its lower length. While there are more powerful choppers out there, the low weight and snappy nature of the knife allows it to work for very long periods of time with low fatigue. This all combines to make an indispensable camp knife, a fun but practical one-tool bushcraft/survival solution and a fast and exciting martial blade with great pedigree and history behind it. All this makes our 11.5″ HSI one of our most versatile khukuris and a beloved tool in the hands of those familiar or a fantastic entry point for those new to these blades and looking to see what they have to offer.
As with many of our other blades we offer this knife in a few alternate lengths for those looking to dial it in a little more to their needs. Our 9.5″ version trades out some chopping power for lighter weight, manoeuvrability and even greater control for finer work around camp. A great option as a pack knife while hiking, for a weight conscious bushcrafter who prioritises controllability or even for a martial artist looking for something fast and flickable with a lot of belly.
Looking for something with a big more power and chopping performance? Our Pensioner might be right up your alley.

Lengths and weights are as follows:
9.5″:6mm spine at bolster, 380g
11.5″:6mm spine at bolster, 475g (Historical, Optimal Length)

On this blade we offer a military dap as an option. This features a laceup frog as well as twin adjustable vertical loops. These can be fully undone to remove the blade from the sheath without undoing your belt. This is a more complex, more accurate historical option for this blade but lacks the capacity for horizontal carry that all our other sheaths have. For general use we prefer our standard dap between the two.

This knife has been used by Ghurkas in the dense jungles of the malayan emergency (1948-1960), in close combat skirmishes during the Borneo Confrontation (1962-1966), and in harsh survival situations during the Falklands war in 1982. In all of these varied theatres of war, this knife excelled and remained virtually unchanged for three decades. It is because of this stellar pedigree and its unique balance of versatility, power and resilience that many consider the HSI to be the Perfect Khukuri.
That's a beauty!

Discussion starter · #43 ·
Well, I put in an order with Kailash Blades for their 11 1/2" Historical Service Issue Khukri. I spent quite a bit of time reviewing all the offerings from the different Khukri houses in Nepal and the modern versions available here from various companies and decided this was the best one for me. I must say, they are the easiest company to work with and allow you to make certain modifications to what they offer. I suppose you can even get with their designer, Andrew and come up with all kinds of shapes and weights if that is what you really want.

I went with their 11 1/2" instead of a shorter 9 1/2" they offer. I chose polished over a satin blade finish and the rose wood handle over stacked leather, beautiful buffalo horn or even different micarta wraps which were tempting. For the handle length, I went with medium, which is longer than the many short ones that Khukris came with years ago. My hand isn't large enough to go with the longest one at 5". What I really like was the offer of edge grinds. They have heavy duty, standard and performance grind. That was easy for me. I wanted the best cutter edge rather than a tougher one. So many of the other houses don't offer anywhere near all these choices. Then for your sheath, you can go traditional dap, they call it, or the military dap, western leather or even kydex. Since I just tuck my machete sheaths in my belt when I go out to work with them, I just ordered the standard Nepalese type dap.

As you look through all their offerings, I liked a handle style from one of the other models and they will switch them out for you. I also asked if they could round off the angle on the spine as it takes that curve down to the point and Andrew said they would even do that. I really don't see how any of the other Khukri houses would do all this. I even had a hard time trying to figure out some basic specs for some of them. What is nice about this model is that it is so much lighter and better balanced than many kukris that folks have bought over the years. From all reports, this one is fast and light in the hand and doesn't really seem to weigh any more than my 18" machete, yet it is made with a 6mm (close to 1/4") spine which tapers towards the point, just as the blade thins as it nears the edge - I believe they even hollow out some of the edge to keep it light and fast. This is the historical model issued from the 1950s through 1980s.

Now comes the wait. The one below looks like it has the black micarta wrap. The stacked leather handle option at $45 really tempted me, since it is said to absorb some of the shock from chopping. If I were buying a longer, heavier model which I might do alot of heavy chopping with, that would be a great option to have. This one, set up how I wanted it, was $115 plus $37 shipping from Nepal. All in all, I think I'll be happier with this than one from Amazon. Years ago, I made a knife myself from some 1/4" spring steel stock and I think this one will be head and shoulders above what I did. Did I really need one? Probably not, but for those of us who really like knives and different blade styles and appreciate how versatile a Khukri can be,

This one has their black micarta wrap
Sleeve Automotive tire Tire Denim Synthetic rubber

Fish Wood Knife Hunting knife Fin

That is a military dap and the blade looks like it has the acid dip finish they offer.
Wood Tool Natural material Blade Knife

Their dessert camo micarta wrap was pretty tempting. They also have a forest camo wrap. I just hope they can pick out a nice piece of rosewood. I asked for either browns with highlights, or sometimes they get some that looks alot like cocobolo.

Now comes the wait.
Make sure you update us when you get. Wish I had know about this blade when I bought mine. I would have ordered one with the stacked leather. Always love how that looks.

Reactions: Grizzly2
I have a Woodsman’s Pal. But honestly, I prefer a hatchet/camp axe around camp because I always have a folding pocket knife on me, and a “machete-type” tool just isn’t a replacement for a hatchet/axe. I live in New England and we don’t have the type of foliage to warrant a machete to get through. If it’s a chore that requires clearing brush, I’m using a chainsaw or a tractor.

Discussion starter · #46 ·
Make sure you update us when you get. Wish I had know about this blade when I bought mine. I would have ordered one with the stacked leather. Always love how that looks.
Wood Tool Geologist's hammer Metal Blade

Oh I will. I had a hard time resisting the stacked leather handle. There "Mutiny" model with a 15.5" blade, lightened with that gorgeous fuller would make a great chopper and brush cutter, especially with the stacked leather handle. I came close to ordering one in 14". I must have hit Andrew, the designer with at least 5 emails full of questions about what would work best for me and my needs. He would go over whether a short one or a longer one in any model would be the most efficient and productive for the use you had in mind. They are very helpful there. I believe Andrew is based in Australia and keeps in constant contact with Nepal and makes trips there when he can. They have begun a new and fresh way of building and selling Khukris. They are both performance oriented and customer oriented in how they do business.

Their Pensioner model would have been the one I'd gone with if I though I'd be doing more chopping.
Wood Knife Blade Hunting knife Tree

The 11.5" Historical Service Issue model I went with makes a great all arounder and keeps the weight down to where I can probably handle it easier at my age. Not for sure what the bottom one is, but I think it is the heavier modern service issue that is thicker and has a tapered full tang from the looks of the rivets in the handle.

Reactions: ms6852
The 11.5" Historical Service Issue model I went with makes a great all arounder and keeps the weight down to where I can probably handle it easier at my age.
That stacked leather handle is beautiful. I have to agree with you the 12" or 11.5" makes for a much better balance wielding blade. I think the 15" one would be to forward heavy. I have the Ontario Sp8 machete and it is a wonderful tool that is very forward heavy. It is a great tool and the sheer weight of it makes it where you can use it to your advantage of cutting brush and such but it does put a strain on your wrist and forearm after a while. I don't have that issue with my 12" blade on the Kukhri.

• Helpful
Discussion starter · #49 ·
Boy, that was quick, they must have had that one in stock? Kailash Blades haven't even begun work on mine yet, but I knew that when I ordered it. They sure give the Prestige models a classy look. I also like how the blade continues the curve of the handle. Very nice looking Khukuri. I'd probably not want to beat that one up, but simply enjoy its good looks and use another for hard work. Tora does good work.

Boy, that was quick, they must have had that one in stock? Kailash Blades haven't even begun work on mine yet, but I knew that when I ordered it. They sure give the Prestige models a classy look. I also like how the blade continues the curve of the handle. Very nice looking Khukuri. I'd probably not want to beat that one up, but simply enjoy its good looks and use another for hard work. Tora does good work.
Simon had someone back out of an order so I snatched it up without a second thought.
6 more inbound, 3 more on order when I sell a geetar.

Reactions: ms6852 and Grizzly2
Discussion starter · #51 · (Edited)
With all this knife talk, I picked up an inexpensive Kershaw Camp 10 to play with. Its overall weight is a little more than the 11.5" historical issue model kukri I have coming. The Chinese steel Kershaw uses is softer than many, easy to sharpen, but you have to do it more often. I went outside and chopped up some of the 3" and 4" limbs there. It really made short work of them and was not too heavy and felt pretty good. At about $55 it's not a bad camp knife. Comes pretty sharp. The sheath is plastic with no tension at all. The blade will fall out easily and the strap they use works, but goes behind the blade and then over the hilt to snap on the front. A bit awkward and flimsy, but it works. I'll probably give it to one of the grandsons.
Gesture Tool Knife Font Bowie knife

I also changed my Khukuri order with Kailash Blades. I had them add the stacked leather handle. They use washers to add contrast and some zip to the look, but I asked them to hold the washers. They would have been brass, like the bolster and handle end cap, but would add weight as well as possibly sticking above the leather as it aged. Wood would look good, but not being stabilized, I didn't want to gamble on it shrinking or deforming years later. The military issue Khukuri is often rehandled while in service. The micarta was tempting for long life, but the leather should soften and lessen any shock transmitted to my old hands.

I'd been thinking about adding a guard at the front of the handle, but really haven't read where people were getting cut from hands slipping forward onto the blade. Instead, most folks cut themselves by pushing the blade through the leather traditional sheath. They told me that they have changed the design to make it more cut proof, so I went with that also. I like how compact the trad sheaths (daps) are since you can just slip then under your belt or slide your belt through the sheath.

I also had them round off that angle on the top of the spine and change the blade area in front of the bolster to be only an arched finger choil. I did away with any symbolism or religious significance that might be represented there. Besides, a choil might come in handy.

If everything goes right, I'll probably see it about the same time the tomatoes ripen in July up here. I think I'll plant mine this week after the temp warms the ground some more.

Tool Wood Knife Hunting knife Helmet

Discussion starter · #52 · (Edited)
Road surface Grey Asphalt Wood Composite material

Grey Road surface Twig Asphalt Tints and shades

I decided to order two knives. The HSI 11.5" with stacked leather handle in satin finish, and then I added a 9" Mini in full polish with select horn handle with nice color contrast and a small guard at the front of the handle. These shapes will probably change after they heat and hammer them again and possibly change some of the angles and widths. The next photos they send will probably show them finished, just before they ship from Nepal.

The smaller 9" was what I was first interested in because I wanted to replace a Cold Steel 5/16" (8mm) thick 7.5" Recon Scout, which is a shorter version of their 9" Trail Master. Andrew repeatedly suggested the 11.5 HSI (Historical Service Issue) for me since I was older and arthritic. He said I should get the best utility from the lighter, faster HSI design. Me, I wanted a hd, longer chopper, but listened to reason instead. I'm sure he is probably right.

When I asked for the brass guard, the designer, Andrew, suggest they change the blade thickness from 6mm (about 1/4") to 7mm and then taper it down so that it retains a good balance in the hand. It's small for a Kukri but handy. As handy as a 9" knife can be. I tried to change my mind and switch to stacked leather, but I was too late. I went for looks on this one, since my days out in the woods are much more limited now. Hopefully I'll see them in a few weeks.

Tool Eyewear Font Material property Cosmetics

Discussion starter · #53 ·
Was just informed by email that my knives are ready for shipping. They now go from Nepal to an international shipping center in Dubai and then head this way. I guess Nepal doesn't have that capability. 7 to 10 days is the estimated time. Then a good cleaning since they are probably coated in oil and who knows what else. After that, a little chopping and cutting to see how they perform and then I'll start a new thread.

Reactions: ms6852 and MPistone
When we camped a hatchet or camp axe was a lot handier, useful tool for us. I've carried stockman pocket knife since I was in grade school and one is always with me so it took care of my cutting needs or, the kitchen knive(s) we took along filled the need. I have two machetes and I expect they're the cheapest thing either Orschlen's or wally world sold 40 years ago. They work just fine for what I need a machete for and I think they have a 20" or 22" blade and a plastic handle. As BWXT mentioned, if it's serious brush clearing that needs done, it's a tractor or chain saw. And I'm still looking for a bush hog that's in one piece. On the farm I'd back over the rose bushes with the bush hog, jump off and dab the stumps with Tordon and they were done for.

For a big knife I've always been very "American" and have one of these I've owned for.....ever? I had a guy with one of those buffing kind of wheels sharpen it...and it's SHARP...and never been used. Cool looking but about worthless.

Natural material Knife Fashion accessory Blade Everyday carry

With all this knife talk, I picked up an inexpensive Kershaw Camp 10 to play with. Its overall weight is a little more than the 11.5" historical issue model kukri I have coming. The Chinese steel Kershaw uses is softer than many, easy to sharpen, but you have to do it more often. I went outside and chopped up some of the 3" and 4" limbs there. It really made short work of them and was not too heavy and felt pretty good. At about $55 it's not a bad camp knife. Comes pretty sharp. The sheath is plastic with no tension at all. The blade will fall out easily and the strap they use works, but goes behind the blade and then over the hilt to snap on the front. A bit awkward and flimsy, but it works. I'll probably give it to one of the grandsons.
View attachment 295064
As much as I like the shape and weight of the Kershaw Camp 10, I was bit disappointed with the blade material holding an edge. Still a cool blade, but tough to keep sharp.

Discussion starter · #57 ·
As much as I like the shape and weight of the Kershaw Camp 10, I was bit disappointed with the blade material holding an edge. Still a cool blade, but tough to keep sharp.
I think it is a Chinese steel similar to a spring steel like 5160, but not hardened enough to hold an edge long. I returned the one I ordered from Amazon. I just wanted to get the feel of its weight.

Boy I’m late to this party. How about a WWII USMC Hospital Corpsman Bolo and a SOG Bowie 2.0? View attachment 296986 View attachment 296987
I'm sure that bolo is a handy tool. I like having both a short and long machete. Actually, I also have a std 18" machete made in Belgium by Martin which probably has the best steel of the three. They are just handy to have. My short 12" is nice for trimming, the 18" is great for heavier brush and my longer 22" is perfect for anything with stickers or thorns.

That's a good looking SOG. Love stacked leather handles.

Reactions: MPistone
Discussion starter · #58 · (Edited)
When we camped a hatchet or camp axe was a lot handier, useful tool for us. I've carried stockman pocket knife since I was in grade school and one is always with me so it took care of my cutting needs or, the kitchen knive(s) we took along filled the need. I have two machetes and I expect they're the cheapest thing either Orschlen's or wally world sold 40 years ago. They work just fine for what I need a machete for and I think they have a 20" or 22" blade and a plastic handle. As BWXT mentioned, if it's serious brush clearing that needs done, it's a tractor or chain saw. And I'm still looking for a bush hog that's in one piece. On the farm I'd back over the rose bushes with the bush hog, jump off and dab the stumps with Tordon and they were done for.

For a big knife I've always been very "American" and have one of these I've owned for.....ever? I had a guy with one of those buffing kind of wheels sharpen it...and it's SHARP...and never been used. Cool looking but about worthless.

View attachment 296985
Yup, I've got them also. A few hatchets and a boys axe with a 2# head by Council Tools. I've been fond of machetes ever since the blacksmith at the Ogdensburg, NJ zinc mine put an edge on an 18" machete with a large water cooled foot operated sharpening wheel back in 1966. It was amazing what it would do to a sapling. Then in VN, I went and grabbed one when I thought we might be over run one night. So, the things have gotten inside me. The Khukuri is just something that caught my eye and imagination. I'm too old and arthritic now to put it to much use, but I've got a few large branches down that I'm saving to chop up when they get here. Just for gigles and grins and the enjoyment of something new and different. Some folks though seriously use them in place of a hatchet and big knife. Over there in Nepal, they are as common as pocket knives are here. They use them for everything, but I agree, if I have something that needs some serious cutting, out comes the chain saw or the Sawzall.

One of the fields on a family farm I used to hunt all around would be trimmed up with a bush hog. I think I destroyed the sidewalls on a few tires that year. Luckily though, that was back when Firestone was doing a recall on some of their pickup truck tires on Ford and Mazda trucks around the year 2000 or so. We probably changed hundreds of them and some of us would save the unused spare tire for ourselves and destroy the others. Never did have one fail and they came in real handy that year.

Reactions: sharps4590
Had a big old bowie knife long ago that I used alot but it got gone (like the one sharps has a photo of). Never carried it though just packed it in a bucket with other camping and fishing tools.

A sharp hatchet is pretty handy around a campsite. Been using a battery chainsaw for a few years for anything wood to cut and just a small skinning knife for hunting and skinning task. Always have a regular pocket knife though for utility.

There is so many cool, interesting, historical and non-historical blades out there it boggles the mind. Some are even useful...lol! I have a little 3 shelf book case about 4 ft. tall and about that wide where I display my "collection" of a few blades. If there's a theme I guess it's daggers, one or two that are real, from the past and the rest fantasy. The rest are just blades that caught my eye. Some have skinned their share of deer and other game while most haven't seen a drop of blood and one Dad made from a saw blade. He copied the Schrade "Sharpfinger", I think. I even have what is SUPPOSED to be a copy of a German rapier and, until I gave it to my oldest son, a genuine Japanese Naval Officers sword Dad bought in a pawn shop in Yokohama sometime between the fall of 1947 and summer 1950. Blades are just cool!!!!

Reactions: Firpo and Grizzly2
41 - 60 of 84 Posts