The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After 35 years here in Sheffield, Alabama, the North Alabama Shooting Association is having to vacate our range. The city council voted us out last February and gave us a year to relocate. Still trying to acquire an appropriate site.

We have been shooting this local .22 rifle match on the first Saturday of each month since 2007. A shooter comes to the line with his rimfire sporter and 30 rounds of ammunition, and has 10 minutes to engage a rack of 25 silhouettes from 50 yards. The shooter's score is the number of silos left standing and the low score wins. There are three classes; aperture sighted, scope sighted, and open sighted. The rules call for the rifle to weigh no more 8.5 lbs and simply have a safe trigger. No thumb hole stocks are allowed.

Due to weather, the final 50/25 Match in Sheffield, Alabama was split between Saturday and Sunday. The Sunday shooters definitely had the better conditions with a sunny sky and temps in the low 50s. The Saturday crew had some sun, some clouds, some rain, a little sleet, and temps in the high 30s. Anyway, we pulled it off and everyone had fun.

Some of the Sunday bunch - (l to r) Bill, Randy, Jack, Danny, Darrell, James, Colby, and Dave

Protagonists

Antagonists (all the bottom row dwelling rams are already down at the time of these pics)

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
What does this mean, " The city council voted us out last February and gave us a year to re-locate."? Haven't they heard about "no ex post facto laws"? Or was the range located on the City's property?

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Perry, do you have another range over there to go to???

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What does this mean, " The city council voted us out last February and gave us a year to re-locate."? Haven't they heard about "no ex post facto laws"? Or was the range located on the City's property?
Yes, they own the 80 year old inactive landfill that our club built the range on. The club had an agreement with the city. We could build and maintain the range and the city PD could use it as needed for qualification and practice. We had no protection under the Alabama Range Protection Act because we did not own the land.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
I thought you were PerryW from another forum who also shoots there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry to hear y'all have to shut down the range... glad to hear you had a good last hurrah!!! hope you get into your new land real soon!!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
We have a police range here that was built with NRA grant money on the condition that the range be open to the public. The city gated it up and if our local gun club puts on a youth .22 shooting class, and beg enough, the city will let us have the key for the classes. But then sometimes they just decide that we need to be supervised and there is no one available so we can't have the key, other times they don't care.

The point is we get to use the range for about 15 hours a year and that is the city's idea of 'open to the public'.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
We'er baaacckk

97 $1000 life memberships and four months later.

The pic above was taken during construction and shows our 50, 100, and 200 yard ranges - they share a common 140 foot long concrete pad covered by a pavilion type roof.

Two 180 degree 35 yard pistol bays lie on the other side of the common pad. It's proving to be a great setup after a month and a half of shooting.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Something I learned a long time ago...NEVER operate a gun range within City Limits...too many libtards in cities...
besides, ya don't have to pay city taxes if you are in the County areas ;)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sounds like post #13 is not clear. We bought land out in the county, cut the side out of a mountain, and are operating our new range. 167 members so far. The real heroes are the 97 folks that have purchased $1000 life memberships. We are not looking back now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Re: We'er baaacckk

97 $1000 life memberships and four months later.

The centerfires pictured in the collage were fired in our Opening Shot Ceremony held before the rimfire match.

The most interesting firearm used in the Ceremony had to be the 19th century British .450 blackpowder lion gun.

http://rimfireshooting.com/index.php?showtopic=10498&hl=
Danny, the link doesn't work. I've been on the website for many years but now I get this attack thing when I want to read the new posts.
any chance of getting the website back again?
Ron

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Re: We'er baaacckk

Danny, the link doesn't work. I've been on the website for many years but now I get this attack thing when I want to read the new posts.
any chance of getting the website back again?
Ron
Yep, I don't know what is going on with Rimfire Shooting. Our friend, Dwight, is working hard on the problems. Wish him the best.

I edited the post above to be a little more helpful.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts