The LIES of the Media

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1952Sniper, Mar 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Shizamus
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/8/03 11:09:58 pm)
    Reply The LIES of the Media
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Back in 1953, John Swinton, the former Chief of Staff for the New York Times, was asked to give a toast to the Independent press before the New York Press Club. What follows is a portion from his toast :

There is no such thing, at this date of the world's history,
    in America, as an independent press. You know it and i know it. There is not one of you who dares to write your honest opi-
    nions, and if you did, you know beforehand that it would never appear in print. I am paid weekly for keeping my honest
    opinion out of the paper. Others of you are paid similar salaries for similar things, and any of you who would be so foolish as to write honest opinions would be out on the streets
    looking for another job. If i allowed my honest opinions to appear in one issue of the paper, before twenty-four hours
    my occupation would be gone. Or quite possibly, I'd be dead.
    The business of journalists is to destroy the truth; to lie
    outright; to pervert; to villify; to fawn at the feet of mammon, and to sell his country and his race for his daily
    bread. You know it and i know it. What folly is this, toasting to an independent press ? We are the tools and vessels of
    rich men behind the scenes. We are the jumping jacks; they pull the strings and we dance. Our talents, our possibilities
    and our lives are all property of other men. We are intellectual
    prostitutes, whores. Nothing more.

www.infowars.com

308bolt
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/8/03 11:17:55 pm)
    Reply Re: The LIES of the Media
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey Shiz,
    How much do you get for everytime you sucker someone into clickin' on
    that "infowars" site?

Usafirst
    (1/8/03 11:31:41 pm)
    Re: The LIES of the Media
    Does it make a difference where Truth comes from ? Or does the truth hurt....?

Shizamus
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/9/03 2:14:00 am)
    Hey 308
    I don't get anything for it, besides
    it's not about money but it is about spreading the resistance
    thru information against the Occupational forces and it's
    heavy handedness and it's Treasonous tactics against
    "WE The People "
    It is our job, each and every one of us to take our Country
    back, each according to our own ability. Many hands make
    for light work.

FOR EVIL TO FLOURISH ALL WE NEED TO DO IS NOTHING !

Have you checked the website out?

www.infowars.com
    www.prisonplanet.com

308bolt
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/9/03 10:05:59 am)
    Is it "The Truth" or just another prostitute.
    Back in 1953 did John Swinton lose his job, was he killed?
    If this statement which is attributed to him is true was he martyred for expressing
    his opinion in public? I suppose it only counts if it's in print.
    Was this his swan song? Did he go find an honest job?
    I suppose he must have felt safe speaking in front of all those journalists because
    he new that none of them would put his statements in print.
    Of course the media are whores. They write whatever will get them a paycheck.
    I think that you would be far better off worrying about the erosion of your personal
    freedom of speech than that of a paid for politically and fiscaly motivated press.
    Through PC speech the children of this country and you are being trained like Pavlovs dogs.
    Words are being vilified just as guns are but I sure don't hear you jumpin' up and down about that.
    I have a friend who is a conspiracy theorist. He reads books and papers designed to reinforce his
    opinions. I've seen a lot of stuff that he told me, which I thought was B.S. happen. Unfortunately
    most of what he has propounded over the years turned out to be just B.S.
    If you only use one source of information on which to base your opinion, it's not your opinion.
    What makes you think that Alex Jones hasn't had his cherry popped.
    I guess that I don't see unverifiable alarmist journalism as "The Truth".
    He's selling words just like every other journalist you just seem to like his better.
    DO I believe that there is a conspiracy which if allowed to will abridge our freedoms for personal gain?
    Yes. It's called "Big Government". Not only do we vote 'em in we pay 'em to sell us out.

Shizamus
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/9/03 10:49:35 am)
    Hey 308, tell me more.
    I don't get what you are shooting at .

www.infowars.com

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/9/03 11:29:07 am)
    Reply | Edit Re: The LIES of the Media
    If I'm getting his point, it is that the media may be lying to us and selling us one side of the story, but sites like "infowars" are doing the same thing (just on the opposite side).

Only by reading both sides and doing some independent thinking, can you get anywhere near the truth.
    Macht kaputt, was euch kaputt macht!

whiteclouder
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/9/03 12:03:56 pm)
    Reply LIES
    1952:

Clanggggg, and the turkey flopped over.

Right on the money with one proviso. The truth you arrive at will be your truth, please remember that.

Clouder..

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/9/03 1:19:36 pm)
    Reply | Edit Re: LIES
    Egads!

Are you saying that "The Truth" is not absolute? That "The Truth" is nothing but interpretation? That "The Truth" is merely a collection of each individual's own biases and opinions, and varies from person to person?

Agents Mulder and Scully would be shocked.

ImMrBill
    (1/9/03 3:21:08 pm)
    Keep up the good work Shizmus. Before finding your posts I didn't know where to find editorial pages that spoke of the other side of the coin.
    I have given up watching news on TV and radio, to sterilized and to many advertisement plugged as news. Same for radio. I get the news from the internet sources. I don't find it quite so sterilized but still one sided.
    I still think all those VN censors and propagandists filter and create our news.
    The issue with the shot dog in TN just made the news today on CompuServe. What a delay in reporting. After reading that it just re-enforced my disgust further for the Enforcers. I wonder why the "insider information" didn't follow up with verifying who's wallet the money was coming from first then compare it with one of the other family members ID before treating them like trash. It's obvious those Enforcers didn't know squat about dogs and public relations. And they're suppose to be the good guys?
    I will admit, there are a few good enforcers, but very few.
    Bill

308bolt
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/9/03 5:31:07 pm)
    '52 sniper: you are right on the money.
    Not only are both sides doing the same thing it's for the same reasons.
    Money and power.

Clouder: While acknowledging your caveat allow me to add an observation.
    When many people come to the same conclusion for different reasons you
    will find an observation that comes closer to truth.

Shiz: People Like A.J. become popular because they say in public what we
    think in private. They are smart enough to know that there is a large portion
    of the populace that is tired of dishonest politics. They make their livings by
    feeding our paranoia. In my opinion they often do more damage than good
    by making our legitimate concerns seem laughable to others.

Chas
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/9/03 5:41:40 pm)
    Reply truth

quote:

"Are you saying that "The Truth" is not absolute? That "The Truth" is nothing but interpretation? That "The Truth" is merely a collection of each individual's own biases and opinions, and varies from person to person?"

Your rhetorical questions give us a great (and accurate) definition of relativistic political (not to mention epistomological) correctness Sniper...because everyone has interpretations, biases and opinions that they can (evidently) justifiably call "their truth" (which by definition is the absence of error) then everybody is right and no one can be wrong...kum ba ya my lord, kum ba ya...let's all sing together...

It's reasurring to know that people who don't think truth is absolute and people who do think truth is absolute have both been right all along...silly people.

I think this could catch on...I think this is the recipe for world peace. The "I'm right, you're wrong" approach to life has definitely outlived its usefulness..."I'm ok, you're ok" has such a nice warm ring to it.

sahc

eht hturt si tuo ereht

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/9/03 5:53:02 pm)
    Reply | Edit Re: truth
    Is that anything like the "I love you, you love me" approach that Barney the Dinosaur has been preaching all these years?

Chas
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/9/03 9:07:36 pm)
    Reply barney
    Now there's a threat to national security

Logic 101

Proposition: "There is no absolute truth."

This proposition is either true or false. If it is false it is false. If it is true it is false...because the proposition "there is no absolute truth" would itself be an absolute truth making the proposition false. We therefore know that at least one absolute truth exists. We can be absolutely sure that the statement that "there is no absolute truth" is absolutely false.

Extra Credit: (1) there is absolutely no truth; (2) it is impossible to know any truth.

Time for recess...has anyone seen my Barney backpack and lunch pail?

Sniper...I've not posted on the other strings...and this might be a scary thought for you...but I agree with you about Iraq. I would even like to compliment you on your rational and constitutional defense of your position but Gunguy might take it the wrong way.

Chuck

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/9/03 9:21:29 pm)
    Re: absolute truth?
    no absolute truths? when did the sun start rising in the west? or did I miss the cubs winning the series?

Chas
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/9/03 9:46:12 pm)
    Reply sun and cubs
    An even more important question might be: when did the sun start "rising"?

The sun "rises" in the west everyday for dyslexic folks

I can't comment on them beloved cubbies.

Chuck

308bolt
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/10/03 12:02:41 am)
    Reply Re: sun and cubs
    The Sun doesn't rise.
    It's stationary.
    The Earth spins on its axis around the stationary Sun.
    We perceive the Sun as rising because of our point of view.

As I'm not an astronomer I can't even prove that the Sun is stationary.
    It is said that the entire Universe is in motion.

The main point being that just because it's common knowledge
    or because it's something that fits into your belief/disbelief system
    or even because it is a habit that you've fallen into,
    that don't make it so.

Now that that's out of the way, Has anyone seen a purple dinosaur around here?
    I wanted to ask him something serious.

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/10/03 8:47:03 am)
    Reply | Edit Re: sun and cubs
    Yep, that's a basic engineering principle: everything is relative. If I measure the velocity of anything, it is a relative velocity, compared to the "stationary" Earth. But as we know, the Earth moves relative to the sun. And the sun moves relative to the Galaxy. The Galaxy moves relative to the Universe. And for all we know, the Universe is in motion.

There ain't no such thing as an absolute velocity, just as there ain't no such thing as an absolute truth.

Unless, of course, it comes from our government. Then it MUST be true.

Chas
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/10/03 10:44:13 am)
    Reply relative
    Sniper...I guess when you talk about relative velocity you're not talkin' about how fast your kinfolk empty your refrigerator when they visit

I only wish the Highway patrol would learn that relative velocity thing...officer, officer, I was only going 50 miles an hour relative to the moon

I think we've also figured out why the cubbies hadn't won the big one...their fastballs, relative to Pluto, are only going 25 miles an hour and the secret is out on them (this also makes them extraordinarily slow runners).

an dat's da absolut trut

chuck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.