The mighty Barrett!!!

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Bake_Lite, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Bake_Lite

Bake_Lite Member

I shot a Barrett .50 Caliber at an invitational machine gun shoot a couple times, and it was event I will never forget.

To ring in the big 30 (my birthday) there is a high chance I would like to gift myself this mighty beast.

After doing some basic research, I think the M82 would be a better option than the M107. What Ive heard is that the differences are fairly minor and that the M82 is significantly cheaper.

Say I can get a decent deal on one, on the low end what should I expect to spend with the item and a nice scope? Is 6 or 7 total possible, or am I being unrealistic?

What is the industry rate? I.e. when a dealer buys the gun for his or her shop, what does that person have in it, and how much markup?

Usually Im pretty skilled at finding a deal when I am patient.

Thanks!

ms6852 and ysacres like this.
  2. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

You are looking at over 10 grand for one gun. :eek:
    You are just 28 years old, aren't you.;) You have 2 years to think about this.
    In these times You must have one heck of a job to blow 10 grand on a target rifle.
    The mark up is minor and the chances that you can get a dealer to drop on price is very slim.
    This is a specific gun and dealers do not move on price because they know if you got 10 grand to spend on 1 gun you have 11 grand to spend.
    That would be like asking for a discount on a Lamborghini if you want one you pay the price.
    The only way to get one cheap is a used one with a owner that had the same idea as you then after getting it figured out how much it cost to shoot it and how much money they wasted.
    Mike

3. Bake_Lite

Bake_Lite Member

The mighty barrett must be bought !!!! Happy birthday to me! :machinegunner:

Maybe the M107 is 10 grand, but the M82 seems more like 7 grand. I can afford this or I wouldnt be asking. I want to get the best deal possible though !!

4. goofy

You will be paying them the price they are asking.
    Dealers will not move on price of a specific gun.
    As I said you want one cheaper you are going to buy a used one.
    IMOP I would buy 10 guns for that much money not one.
    Mike

5. Bake_Lite

Bake_Lite Member

Getting 10 guns instead is your opinion though. This is all about MY special day! :tank:

I shot it a couple times at the machine gun shoot and it was an event I would never forget. Id like to own it and share the experience with other people, like that person did for me.

6. goofy

I am in no way trying to talk you out of it.
    Go for it if you can afford it while you still can.
    If you think turning 30 is a "Special" day what are you going to buy when you turn 50.
    Mike

7. shootbrownelk

shootbrownelk Well-Known Member

Dang it, I missed a boatload of "Special" birthdays.

8. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Mike, that's 20 years down the road. 30 year olds don't think that far ahead. it is, after all, HIS special day.

Me too, SBE. Now I just hope I have another, they're ALL special.

9. goofy

My "Special" day is every day I wake up above the ground. :p:D:)
    I know it is HIS day my point was if at 30 he wants to spend 10+ grand on a .50 BMG when he hits 50 is he going to buy a tank.
    If the answer is yes he is MY KIND OF GUY.
    :cheers:
    Mike

10. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I guess we have different priorities. for my birthday a couple months ago i bought myself a old 1897 marlin made in 1902 for $1600.00. Took me a while to save up that much cash. No way i'd get 10k saved up, and if i did my wife would find a way to load it and shoot me with it!

11. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

I was thinking A10 Warthog:machinegunner:

12. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member Supporting Member

When I turned 30, with a wife & 3 kids, a home mortgage that could choke a horse & 2 car payments, if a trip around the world cost fifteen cents, I couldn't afford to get out of sight!

Nearly fifty yrs later, though I could afford the gun, I'd opt for the trip around the world.

m77user, Winchester94, gvw3 and 9 others like this.
  13. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Heck yeah, if he can afford it, go for it. I don't know it but I suspect that's one of those rifles you aren't going to lose much money on. If you keep it long enough, that's probably a guarantee...and "long enough" probably isn't very long. I remember when I toyed with the idea of buying a single shot 50 cal. but, I had enough range out my back door back then. Here I don't have but 100 yards and that isn't enough to stretch an accurate revolver, let alone my Sharps #1 Sporter or a 50 cal. I've gotten either lazy or picky or both in my dottage, I don't like travelling to a range to shoot amongst a lot of rookies.

14. PRR1957

PRR1957 Well-Known Member

The Barrett M82 and M107 are not target rifles as accuracy is minuet of mountain and shot to shot displacement can only be compared to a machine guns cone of fire.

The Barrett M99 is far more accurate and about 2/3rds the price at $5,000.00

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    gvw3 and joe45c like this.