"The religious medal"

Discussion in 'The VMBB True Story Tellers' started by Guest, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Mithrandir
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/17/01 8:43:52 am)
    | Del All "The religious medal"
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    “The religious medal”

This one is different and not meant to provoke discussion about religion per se......

Just meant to tell a story.....a story that DID happen but can never be proved.....

sometimes truth is stranger than fiction....

Details will be left out for this one….. I will just lay the groundwork and cut to the chase…..

Early in ’66, a young troop was being assigned to go to Panama……

He had been dating this really nice young thing that was studying to become a Nurse, I believe in Lawrence Mass.

He went to Panama and they wrote to one other on a regular basis…..

Some months later… he was to be sent to VN….

So while on leave, he went to see her

Well…… He was a Friend and she a Catholic…… and after much discussion, she wanted him to wear a cross for protection……

So she had a he priest bless one and she came it to him to wear….…. It was a nice one, that had a different icon on each arm of the cross on its back and St Christopher on the front..... kinda like covering all your religious bases I guess....

He did so…. it angered his family but they soon came to realize that any help would be welcomed (but that’s another story)……

Now….

He wore that medal all the time… never took it off… just like his dog tags…. no one ever saw him without them…..

One day.. while out on a mission…. it was lost…..

He was not sure if it have been blown off of him or if the chain had broken…..but it was gone……for several more months he did without his blessed medal……..he really did regret its lose, but could not bring himself to write and tell the young woman that it was gone……

Then it happened……..

While on a mission… he and his security teams were moving through a village that was still contested by the NVA/VC…(well… mostly NVA as most VC were dead by that time)

The Marines were engaged just a few hundred yards ahead and his eagles were engaged on the right flank….

As he and his buddy stepped out from behind a hooch… an NVA soldier ran out and stopped right in front of them….

It was the first AK-47 that they had ever seen in VN… up to this time… all they ever saw were SKS’s and a mixture of older odd-ball weapons…..from less than 20 feet away…..and proceeded to empty a mag AT HIM!!!!….

Before anyone could re-act…a marine popped out and dropped the NVA guy…..one shot…. one thud……

Dust settles……

Gust of wind blows cool air over them ….

Refreshing….

Strange……considering that it was 105 in the shade and 4PM

Stranger still he was not hit….

No one got hit…..

“you are one lucky dude Eagleman..” the marine moved on……

After it was all over… the village secured, the quite that follows an action set it….. guys smokin’ and jokin’ and taking souvenirs or just claming down……

When a young woman, dressed in the VN FORMAL dress, not the peasant style….

You know… the beautiful silk AO DI (spelling?) and black pantaloons….. Teal blue with patterns of dragons embroidered on it….high tight-necked collar.. dress split to the hip… WHITE shoes for god’s sake…. black comb in her long black hair… with a jade stone in it…. eyes like black pools of oil… white .. white teeth perfectly formed…..

You know…. a typical troops walking wet dream!!!!!

NOT ONE GUY COULD TAKE THEIR EYES OFF OF HER…..

Eating stopped…

Drinking stopped….

Smoking stopped…..

Time stopped……

Absolutely mesmerizing……. hypnotic…….dreamlike…..

She walks up to them as they rested…. and says…. in perfect English with no hint of an accent…. “I believe that this belongs to you” and presents him with….

His lost cross…….

While they are stunned….She turns and walks …. no…..disappears between two hooch’s….

Everyone looks at one another…… and he and one other follow…

they do not see her……

the trail only leads to the village dump……

a marine and an eagle come up the trail from the dump….

“did you see that girl that was walking on this trail??” he asks….

“what girl??… there is no one down there…… we just cleared it”

Sure enough.. the trail ends at the dump with no way out….. no prints…no signs…. even the dogs found nothing….

time resets….. missions come and go…… he kept the cross taped to his wrist…..

Months later, he is in the World…. and goes to visit this girl…. she has since fallen for another guy and they will not be together……

He gives her cross.. saying…… you keep it…. it has protected me well but has too much power for me……

out…..

dap22
    Senior Chief Moderator II
    (5/17/01 9:01:20 am)
    | Del Re: "The religious medal"
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Once again, Mithrandir, you've outdone yourself. Great, great story.................

Of interest, one of the very few momentos I have kept from Vietnam is a St. Christopher medal that was given to me by a 1st Inf Div grunt who we took out of a really bad area near Lai Khe. He was shot up pretty bad but awake and aware. We sustained some serious damage to the aircraft and he knew we cheated death getting him out. He took the medal off and handed it to me........I couldn't reach it and couldn't hear what he was saying but the medic told me that he said that he was safe, wouldn't need the medal any longer and that I would be safe with it.......I kept it with me for the rest of my tour and it now hangs on my mantle where a polished tail rotor blade is mounted with a plaque...........I look at it every day and wonder whether it did make a difference..........and I'm not even a catholic.

Copr6
    Senior Chief Moderator III
    (5/17/01 1:38:08 pm)
    Dave...I have a St. Christopher medallion also. I bought it in VN but damn if I can recall where. As I type this now, it seems like maybe I traded for it. I believe the one I have is pewter.

dap22
    Senior Chief Moderator II
    (5/17/01 3:43:58 pm)
    I guess one of the unanswered questions is whether or not we all have a little divine guidance.......never thought much about that St. Christopher medal until I got home... although I did carry it with me in Vietnam. Guess we'll have to say it worked, right Larry?

Mithrandir
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/17/01 4:14:26 pm)
    I never found an atheist in a rocket attack......

out

Copr6
    Senior Chief Moderator III
    (5/17/01 5:26:45 pm)
    Yeah...and I know where Jesus Christ lives!!
    Your probably right, Dave! At least there are times when I go looking thru some of my VN stuff that I have left. I have said to myself that the medallion helped me survive.

106RR196LIB
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/21/01 1:52:01 pm)
    When I left for Vietnam my girlfriends grandmother gave me a red packet about the size of a silver dollar. She didn't speak english so I never knew what it was called. I promised to carry it through the conflict. It was kind of a Buddhist medal sort of thing.
    When I got home in 68, I was going to return it to Grandma. Language problems prevented me from properly thanking her so I enlisted the aid of an interpreter to learn what to say. It turns out that you are not supposed to give it back, its real rude. So I thanked her and kept the packet. I still have it today and I still don't know what it's called. The Buddhists in the family are positive that it saved my life. It may have helped but a quick trigger finger didn't hurt either. I suspect that many of the guys on both sides were buried with various medals in their body bags.
    I was assigned to guard the Catholic Chaplain in our unit. The VC had tried to kill him on several occasions for saying Mass for the Vietnamese. (LONG STORY) My platoon sargeant hoped that I would get religion. Guarding the Chaplain was about the only time I went to church!
    Good topic.
    Mike H