The snake that bit ya.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ysacres, Jan 12, 2018.

1. One Shot

One Shot Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Forty five years ago some people figured I had 5% blood in my alcohol system. Fortunately I got smarter. Now I'm practically a tea totaler. I've had three Guinesses in my life all in the last three years.

PRR1957, dbcooper, m77user and 4 others like this.
  2. 2A-Jay

2A-Jay Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Being a sailor for 21 years I have done my fair share of drinking beer or bourbon mostly. But since June 5th 2000 I have had only one beer and that one beer gave me a headache so I don't even miss it. No booze means more ammo!

PRR1957, Ksman75, ysacres and 5 others like this.

3. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff* Supporting Member

Dang, you don't suppose its because I've never been able to drink is why I've lingered
    so long up here over the sod instead of under-neath it? All my old shipmates and
    associated construction troops have long bit-the-bullet....really, is that what that
    off-handed remark means...you gotta bite one of those things? I was 18 and my
    shipmates serving with me in the Philippines claimed San Miguel, the local tangle-foot beer
    would cure me of that adversion ...not so...I could tolerate the monkey meat and noodles..
    an, on-the-beach chow called poncit, but not the brew! I even had assigned duties and watches where
    they knew I'd never be 'soused'! Chief

PRR1957, Ksman75, 2A-Jay and 3 others like this.
  4. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Yeah ..FOOD and guns!!!

You're a hoot man!!:D

crystalphoto, ysacres, carver and 2 others like this.
  5. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I watch everything I eat , especially now that I am weight training.
    I budget and count every calorie so i am eating enough every day

I dont mind an occasional beer or shot Baileys in my coffee but the calories in alcohol are just more calories thst i could eat in food so i just end up not drinking much at all now

Ksman75, 2A-Jay, jwdurf and 5 others like this.
  6. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

I NEVER drink alcohol.
    Never did and never will.
    Don't need too.
    I can act stupid with out any help from any substance.
    Mike

jbmid1, PRR1957, Ksman75 and 11 others like this.
  7. Clipper

Clipper Well-Known Member

My Navy days were mostly my drinking days, the whole squadron would unwind after a hard day, getting prepared for the deployment, the O'Club was the place, and being loud and obnoxious was the desired aim. I could not drink more than two or three before having sinus problems and breathing became difficult. I still have the sinus problem, and I do enjoy a dram or two of Jameson's on occasion. Never try to empty the jug, and I don't do it often, but I do enjoy sipping a good Irish and reading a good book.

8. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

YEAH OK:rolleyes:

PRR1957, Ksman75, dbcooper and 2 others like this.
  9. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

Those of you who still drink, can have my share. My last drink was July 27, 1989. I'm still in recovery!

PRR1957, Ksman75, jwdurf and 7 others like this.
  10. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

When i was younger, I drank heavily but having to chase after two rug rats with a hang-over cured me of that. It got to where I'd buy a six pack for New Years and when Christmas rolled around, there would still be 2-3 beers left in the fridge. After I changed jobs and the kids got older I could enjoy a few drinks, or more, and I did on several occasions. When that job dried up I went to drive truck, and time away from home and spot alcohol and drug screens, drinking turned into more trouble that it was worth. Now a couple or three beers a month with an occasional nip of bourbon satisfy my urges.
    The gun club that I belong to, put in a vending machine that is stocked with what barely passes for beer. Instead of being a sportsmans club, the local alcoholics have taken over and have turned it into a lounge. The beer sales finance most of the operations of the organization, at the expense of them ruining the clubhouse. The drinking doesn't seem to have any effect on the place, but almost all of the heavy drinkers are heavy smoker also, the place REEKS like an old stale ashtray. Just walking through the place, you're coated with the stench of old stale tobacco smoke. Complaints to the board of trustees does no good, most of them are heavy drinkers and smokers as well. We even have a couple of LEOs that are involved, and smoke in there as well. In OHIO, all facilities that people organize in, both public and private are supposed to be smoke free.

Ksman75, jwdurf, carver and 3 others like this.
  11. zant

zant Well-Known Member

A few things that don't mix well with alcohol:
    Keyboards/credit cards
    4oz trigger
    Redheads....

PRR1957, Ksman75, jwdurf and 8 others like this.
  12. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member Supporting Member

LOL :D:D:D

Ksman75, dbcooper and carver like this.
  13. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Actually, you have the term wrong.

When you die you, "bite the dust", as in, "fall face-first on the ground".

To "bite the bullet" is to do something you REALLY don't want to do. Very expensive or humiliating or PAINFUL.

It comes from surgery back before anesthesia was around. They'd give you a stick, or a piece of leather, or a LEAD BULLET - something strong, but soft enough that biting down on it wouldn't break your teeth - before they started digging the arrow out of your side, or amputating your arm.

It was to prevent your screams from annoying the surgeon.:eek::confused:

It means the same as "step up" or "man up".

Bite the bullet and get it over with.

14. m77user

m77user Well-Known Member

Like Carver said; I am still in recovery. Last day I took an alcahol based drink was Sept 9th, 1975.

PRR1957, Ksman75, jwdurf and 3 others like this.
  15. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member

When I was in my 20's and early 30's I drank a 12 pack of beer every day. I came from a family of heavy drinkers. Once my dad and grandfather passed away I started to slow down on my drinking.

I always keep a 5th of VO in the cabinet and beers in my refrigerator. The VO will last a year or 2 and the beer usually goes bad before I drink it. I just lost my taste for it. I know if my dad was still here we would be sitting around killing a 12 pack or better. I miss those days.

Ksman75, jwdurf and joe45c like this.