The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once a week or so my wife asks me to cut some of her pills in half. One pill is a real problem and tends to break up or crush. So, I've been going through all the knives I have looking for one that will do the job. Her old pill cutter, which I finally found was dull and too think. I can't imagine how that ever even worked satisfactorily.

I've tried filet knives, a couple of Spyderco knives, even one thin edged K390 steel Endela. It's great on other pills but not this particular one. I found an old Gerber alum handled knife I think they called a Pixie but even that was too thick. I have a very old Flint Stainless Vanadium which may be the thinnest, pointiest knife in the house but it too tends to break and crush this one pill - great for cleaning strawberries though.

Then i happened to look up above my desk here on the shelf and spotted an old straight razor that has just been sitting there for many years. I took it down and ran it over my fine and x fine Spyderso ceramic stones and then tried it on the pills. Wow. Does that ever cut cleanly. I barely lost any of the pill and you can feel it cleanly cut all the way through. I can't imagine how sharp that would get with some progressive stropping going to finer and finer grits.

·
GUNZILLA
7,775 Posts
When I was taking care of my wife's mother she was given a horse pill that David could have used to slay Goliath with. She was to get a 1/3 of this pill. I could not find anything sharp enough to cut it. So I decided to crush it. First I weighed the pill in my Lyman 1500 scale whole, crushed it with a hammer with the pill in a freezer bag and weighed the crushed pieces which would equate to third of the weight of the pill.

·
Premium Member
19,971 Posts
When I was taking care of my wife's mother she was given a horse pill that David could have used to slay Goliath with. She was to get a 1/3 of this pill. I could not find anything sharp enough to cut it. So I decided to crush it. First I weighed the pill in my Lyman 1500 scale whole, crushed it with a hammer with the pill in a freezer bag and weighed the crushed pieces which would equate to third of the weight of the pill.
Wow when the reloading profession and medical profession cross paths.;)

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
I think the thinnest and sharpest knife I've ever had was a bone handled butter knife made in the 1860's. The blade had been ground down and reshaped and it held an edge forever. I'm pretty sure my first wife still has it. A modern butter knife is as thick as a hunting knife by comparison. For pills I use a pill cutter.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For most pills, I'm sure a pill cutter will work. But her Baclofen is not like most pills and is entirely different. A round pill that is scored but very prone to crumbling and breaking into pieces. I suppose i could easily buy another pill cutter but that straight razor works like a charm. I do use it on a surface with some give so I doubt the blade will suffer any damage. It cuts so cleanly that I find it hard to believe a pill cutter could do any better. But it could be possible. The same dosage of Baclofen comes sometimes in a very small pill and some times in a larger one which I thought would be much easier to cut. But the composition of this pill is so prone to crumbling that I would be surprised if a pill cutter worked any better or even as well.

·
GUNZILLA
7,775 Posts
Disposable razor blades are cheap and handy to have around.
What a great idea, staring right in my face. Especially the one with a single edge used for box cutter where the other edge already has a spine to whack away with your gunsmithing hammer.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
I often wonder why they don’t just make the pills in correct dosages to start with. If I need a 25mg dose, prescribe a 25mg dose. Don’t give me a 50mg pill and expect me to chop it in half. Especially if it’s not scored.

And does a pill really need to be the size of New Jersey to be effective?? What is with the giant horse pills?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just buy a new pill cutter, they ain't expensive.
yep, I got thru the same deal every day with some of my meds.. pill-cutter is showing some age but easily replaceable, it's just a razor edge clamped into a chopper thingie. Cheap at the dollar store.:) Otherwise I'd use my kobun, or just a single edged razor blade...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts