The Firearms Forum banner
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
My dad tried to get me to eat frog legs when I was little. He said they tasted like chicken. I wouldn't eat chicken for 6 months. After I got older I tried them and they were just as nasty as I thought they would be.
Frog legs taste BETTER than chicken, they're sweet meat!

I know lots of people who won’t eat squirrel, possum, frogs and craws but they will stand in line at Taco Bell or Mickey Ds to buy that crud.
While I will eat some of McD's food, I'll eat a cold can of ravioli before I eat ANYTHING from Taco Smell!!

My Great Grand Dad fished for Chain Pickerel, which are very bony. He poached them whole, then ground meat and bones and made fish balls.

Y'all should know that Connasses will eat anything that does not eat them first. Just Sayin

Reactions: Gudaki and chaswea

·
Premium Member
17,948 Posts
I knew two people who ate gar. One was my great Uncle Buck and the other was a friend/customer of mine. I used to bow fish for them pretty seriously and what Uncle Buck wouldn't take, Alan did. They both said they were good but to eat it hot. According to them, when it cooled it became rubbery. I don't know as I would have to be very hungry to eat gar.

• Haha
Reactions: chaswea and Gudaki

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
I knew two people who ate gar. One was my great Uncle Buck and the other was a friend/customer of mine. I used to bow fish for them pretty seriously and what Uncle Buck wouldn't take, Alan did. They both said they were good but to eat it hot. According to them, when it cooled it became rubbery. I don't know as I would have to be very hungry to eat gar.
I would grind it up and make gar balls. But then that's a lot of work and I'd rather eat Crappie, Bass & Catfish. With frog legs of course!!

·
Premium Member
17,948 Posts
Frog legs are ok. When the boys were home we'd gig 'em off the creek and farm ponds because Joyce loves them. I'll eat them once every 10 or so years. Crappie, bass and bluegill are good. The only river catfish I'll eat is flatheads or blues, I ain't eatin' a channel unless it was cage raised. I used to run limb lines and all the channels I caught were given away because of that yellow streak down their backs that made the whole fish taste like mud. We raised channels in cages for a few years and they never saw the bottom of the pond. They didn't have that yellow streak and were good.

Reactions: chaswea and Gudaki

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Sharps,

I've never had a channel cat that had a yellow strip or tasted like mud. Now, mud cats yeah, won't even clean them. I keep channels, blues & opelousas. But then all my catfishing is in lakes not rivers. Might be different in rivers.

·
Registered
7,927 Posts
Eat chicken fried steak
Nope.

They hav`nt had things like candied possum or mother natures pre seasoned delight chickmonk. Craws are pretty tasty too if you cook the tails only.
You can't cook just the tails. Crawfish have to be cooked alive. If you get one that's not curled up don't eat it because it was dead before it was cooked.

·
Premium Member
17,948 Posts
Sharps,

I've never had a channel cat that had a yellow strip or tasted like mud. Now, mud cats yeah, won't even clean them. I keep channels, blues & opelousas. But then all my catfishing is in lakes not rivers. Might be different in rivers.
Joyce loves catfish but, admittedly they are not my favorite. Well, flatheads and blues are good but they're predators, not scavengers like channels. Since she likes them so well I'd keep them. After a couple meals of channels she told me not to keep anymore for her, they tasted like mud. If I caught a nice one, 5 lbs or thereabouts, I'd keep it and give it to a neighbor who liked catfish but didn't fish.

There was quite a few folks around who won't eat river channels for the same reason. If that yellow streak is present, you can't miss it. It starts right behind the head and widens down the back to about the dorsal fin then narrows to nothing before it gets to the tail. It's a real pale yellow but you can't miss it. Perhaps the channels out of these much more clear, spring fed Ozark streams wouldn't be that way but up in farm country they certainly are. I'll never know as I gave up limb lining and running trot lines 30 years ago and dedicated my fishing to fly rods.

Besides, Price Chopper's fried, cage raised catfish is so good that catching and cleaning them then frying them isn't worth the effort!!

What on earth is an "opelousas" catfish?

Reactions: chaswea

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I don’t know where it came from but I thought Gars were poisonous to humans. Just in last 10yrs or so realized people eat them. We did fish for them on purpose in Ohio River and tributaries. We called them Poor Mans Muskies. They seemed exciting to catch compared to Cats and Carp when we were kids. I’d never herd tell of anyone eating them. Must be a ethnic or regional thing. Any thing tasty in this neck of the woods is living on barrowed time. We have Canadian Geese up the kazoo, nobody in these parts eats them. Might change if things get as bad as predicted on food prices.

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 · (Edited)
I don’t know where it came from but I thought Gars were poisonous to humans. Just in last 10yrs or so realized people eat them. We did fish for them on purpose in Ohio River and tributaries. We called them Poor Mans Muskies. They seemed exciting to catch compared to Cats and Carp when we were kids. I’d never herd tell of anyone eating them. Must be a ethnic or regional thing. Any thing tasty in this neck of the woods is living on barrowed time. We have Canadian Geese up the kazoo, nobody in these parts eats them. Might change if things get as bad as predicted on food prices.
I eat geese.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Wow...is that a southern thing? I've never heard that.
Never herd that term either. We catch some big Flatheads in the Ohio, 40-50lb quite common. Most released because of pollution. I caught a 27 lb on a big inline Musky spinner. Back in 60s when they were tearing out the Wickett Dams there were stories of huge flat heads that scared Army Corps divers. They were living in holes under the concrete piling of the Bear Traps, the discharge opposite the lock side of dam. Supposedly big as a man.

·
Premium Member
17,948 Posts
Bagnall Dam that backs up Lake of the Ozarks was built in the 30's, Joyce's grandpa worked on it. Anyway, SUPPOSEDLY a diver was down at the water intake grates for the generator clearing debris and called up for a cable to pull a big log up. A little bit later he called up, "nevermind, the log swam off."

I dunno but that's the way I heard it. There's some big cats in the Osage River drainage.

There was a blue cat caught from the Missouri River not far downstream from Jeff. City that, IIRC, went 110 lbs. 50 lb. + flatheads are not uncommon.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
After my Mom passed from cancer, my Dad who was Capt. Ahab when it came to fishing, remarried my Step Mom who loved fishing, so that was the excuse to buy a bigger boat. Bigger as Dad, Step Mom, my younger brother and I would spend the whole weekend on the boat out on Lake St. Clair fishing. We always had four fishing lines in the water, even over night while asleep. Early one morning on the boat, my Step Mom wakes us all up by screaming “Carl, I have a monster on the line”. The monster was a two foot long gar pike. My Dad to groggy from just being woken up, took a side cutter and cut the line. He said it had way to many teeth for that early in the morning.

A friend of mine had a 100 gallon aquarium that he didn’t want any more. One of the fish was a 12” long gar pike. It was rather interestingly colored with the main color being bronze with dark brown stripes. He gave it to me and I kept it for two years in a 50 gallon long aquarium. I would feed it small feeder gold fish. If I turned off both water filters, I could heard it crunching the bones of the gold fish. When it finally swallowed the gold fish, a flurry of gold fish scales will shoot out of the gar pike’s gills. When ever my young niece and nephew came to visit, the first thing out their young mouths was, “Uncle Pete. Will you feed the gar pike”. They loved watching it crunch up the gold fish. Then one day my younger nephew without anyone of us not seeing at first, stuck his fingers in the aquarium. Unfortunately the gar pike thought his wiggling fingers were food. All we heard was him screaming and the gar pike which about 14” long by then, firmly clamped jaws hanging to one of my nephews finger and didn’t want to let go. I had to pry open the gar pike’s jaws which resulted in me getting jabbed with some of those needle like teeth.

One interesting thing about gar fish is they don’t have swim bouncy bladder. After they eat another fish, they come up too the water surface and take a gulp of air. Then they will expel some of the air to get a neutral bouncy. Gar fish are living fossils of which fossilized bone millions years old have been uncovered. Their physiology hasn’t changed since the early Triassic period meaning they have remained unchanged for 75 million years.

·
Premium Member
17,948 Posts
I still ain't eatin' one.....yet.....:)

61 - 80 of 80 Posts