The Firearms Forum banner

The Thrill Is Gone

7K views 79 replies 34 participants last post by  sharps4590 
#1 ·
The last three years have sucked if your hobby is shooting and re-loading. Prices have gone thru the roof and availability of reloading components has been sparse. I am throwing in the towel and selling all my guns and reloading equipment. I am buying a john boat with a 20 HP outboard motor and will pursue Alligator Gar in the Trinity River south of Dallas for the rest of my life. My mind is made up and I am moving on. This is what 67 year old fat men do, I will post photos.
Water Vertebrate Organism Terrestrial animal Extinction

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
Don't forget a long club. Maybe a medieval pole axe would work better. Cold Steel sells one :LOL:
Musical instrument accessory Metal Font Musical instrument Office supplies

#13 ·
Wow don't go in the Trinity River! We have Long Nose gar up here. They have lots of teeth just not that big! up here the best way to catch them is with a rope. You take a rope and shred the end about 6". Throw it out the shredded end and when the gar chump down on it they get their teeth snarled in the rope. You just have to pull them in. No hooks needed. I have never tried this method, but others have.

#17 ·
Notice his bandaid on his finger? I'd rather have bandaids from playing with knives than those toothy critters :LOL: . But then, I never grew up around them either.

#22 · (Edited)
We have gar here. When I was a teen we'd see em swimming along side the canoe. They looked to be just a couple feet shorter than the 16' canoe. Never fished for them but dragged one up on the creek bank one time that was maybe 4ft long. I like catfish too much to fish for gar. Seen guys catch em in running water by floating a live shad but I never tried it.

#23 · (Edited)
There was an old (not white) guy that used to cross our place about 2 or 3 times a week when I was coming up. He was headed to a swampy beaver infested area a mile or so on the other side of our place. He carried an old dbl barrel shotgun, a cane fishing pole, a 2 bushel guano sack, and usually a couple hounds with him. If you caught him on the way back he'd have anything from bullfrogs, gar, catfish, muskrat, bever, opposums, raccoons, brim, to whatever he come across in that sack. He was surviving and putting food on the table for his family. One time he had 4 young turkeys in his sack - he said he caught em walking in a line down the tobbacco row and got em all with one shot. He didn't pay much attention to hunting seasons - he was hungry all year round.

#24 ·
We don’t have alligator gar but we got long nose and short nose. Nobody, nobody ate them. We fished for them for fun. Called them Poor Man’s Musky. Seldom caught any less than 24” or better than 48”
We sight fished them with live chubs.
Last time I went Gar fishing my grandson saw gar on TV and wanted to catch one. Took him down to Hannibal Lock & Dam, WVa side of Ohio River. The dam has generator and lights. Very nice fishing facilities. When lights come on, bugs drawn to lights, Shad and other small fish drawn to bugs. Then shortly predictors will show up. The Gars are always close to top. Fish 12” below bobber and catch them like bluegill in a pond. GS caught 45 from 8:30 pm to 2:00am, when I made him quit. Fish deeper and catch just about any fresh water predictor you can think of. Also the Gars are not affected by dog days. Slack water don’t bother them. My dad would take a pair of the heavy leather palmed work gloves and hang a old pair of channel locks from the loop on them to handle gars. Kids would put a corn cob in their beak and tie it, turn them loose and they would swim around on top like a snake.

#26 ·
I am throwing in the towel and selling all my guns and reloading equipment.
Well, this is unfortunate and you need to do what you think is best but how long have you been into guns and reloading?

The reason I ask is a lot of us have weathered many 'storms' of reloading and ammo shortages, price increases and simply prepared for them, remained dedicated and pushed on.

For me guns are not only a hobby, but an inherent, long term part of my 'lifestyle' as well, and I don't ever see myself getting out of it.

#39 ·
I love burrito supremes and taco supremes at Taco Bell and I never stand in line, if there is one I drive write over to Sonic and get a jalapeño burger.;)

@LIKTOSHOOT Chicken tastes like snake, frog legs, crawfish, possum, squirrel and any other roadside kill we can think of.

Reactions: Dem27 and 66700
#32 ·
My uncle who was a butcher, made a habit of ordering a cheese sandwich when we'd order hot dogs.

Reactions: Dem27 and 66700
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.