The Firearms Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have two M1 Carbines. I installed a M1A1 stock on one of them. They were the last CMP batch. Got a Saginaw Gear and an Underwood. They are fun shooters and loved by the whole family.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Used the M-2 in Korea. Not very effective beyond 150 yards. Targets still got up after a hit. M-1 Garand better for distance. M-2 very useful at night and in towns. Easy to carry lots of mags, taped banana clips preferred. Took some practice to be effective on full auto. My older brother, a veteran of Africa, Italy, France and the Colmar Pocket, told me they shot plenty. Don't worry about picking targets, just lay down fire. So that's what I did in Korea if I didn't have a particular target. Told replacements "Shoot you s.o.b, shoot"... That's what they called me.....Sgt. son-of a b..... A long long time ago!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
They were issue arms for outboard security watches aboard ship. The missile house, ASROC and Missile house watch carried 45's. Our ships 45's were adequate at 50 yards but not beyond that, the Carbines easily hit a helmet target at 100 yards on the first shot by most of our shooters. I went through the transition period of carrying 03's in boot camp, training with M1's and BAR's, watched the M14's come and go only to be replaced by the unmentionable and forever cursed M16. If I had my druthers I'd want my M1 in my hands but I would not feel unarmed with the 30 cal carbine no matter which version.

There are only a few guns that I don't have in my collection that I wish I did have and the 30 cal carbine is one of the top 3. Right now my shotgun is my house gun but if I know I'm going outside I switch to my Win 94 in 32 Win spcl. If I had a carbine it would replace the 32 spcl.

·
Registered
13 Posts
They were issue arms for outboard security watches aboard ship. The missile house, ASROC and Missile house watch carried 45's. Our ships 45's were adequate at 50 yards but not beyond that, the Carbines easily hit a helmet target at 100 yards on the first shot by most of our shooters. I went through the transition period of carrying 03's in boot camp, training with M1's and BAR's, watched the M14's come and go only to be replaced by the unmentionable and forever cursed M16. If I had my druthers I'd want my M1 in my hands but I would not feel unarmed with the 30 cal carbine no matter which version.

There are only a few guns that I don't have in my collection that I wish I did have and the 30 cal carbine is one of the top 3. Right now my shotgun is my house gun but if I know I'm going outside I switch to my Win 94 in 32 Win spcl. If I had a carbine it would replace the 32 spcl.
Love every weapon in your service history. My service was later so your cursed M16 was my intro followed by the Government 1911, M9 Beretta, and an M4 Carbine in Afghanistan. When I came home from Iraq I started collecting US battle rifles. I started with a Krag and have all of them now. I love the Garands more than any of the rest.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My father was an REMF in Korea (a supply sergeant located at a very large forward area supply depot) and he carried the M1 and M2. Like it was mentioned in the intro remarks, he was a behind-the-lines guy for the most part (but not always), and was issued the M1 as a substitute for a sidearm. He thought very highly of it, but he was also quick to admit its limitations.

·
Registered
396 Posts
My dad landed in North Africa foillowing the Marines. WW2 He was a Navy SeaBee. He carried a M1 Carbine and was also on a mortor team when he wasn't doing steel construction. He had nothing bad to say about the carbine.They were a replacent for the 1911 with more range and accuracy. Never talked about the invasion much. I did see some pictures he had of the dead.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I inherited a M-1 Carbine made by I.B.M. My father passed away and has owned it since the 1960's. It is stamped M-1 but has all the M-2 parts. I am certain the weapon was never registered since he owned it so long. What are my options with this? Is it still illegal because it is stamped M-1? Can I legally sell this? I would rather try to sell it and not risk jail time for being caught with this. I want to make sure it ends up in the right hands. Please advise. I have a photo of it next to another true M-1 I have to prove the difference.

·
Premium Member
10,360 Posts
Charlie, as I understand it, you are up that well known creek with no paddle.
There is no legal way to either own nor sell this.

I would borrow a cutting torch and reduce this to a pile of itsy-bitsy pieces before you get caught with it.

·
Administrator
24,985 Posts
You may remove and destroy the offending parts putting it back to original condition. And I'd do it ASAP.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Charlie
Some where around the mid or late 50s the US only contracted for the interchangeable M2 parts as replacements. It is not at all uncommon to see M2 parts on a M1. They came from DCM and distributors like that. The offending part is the selector switch. Just having one in your possession/domicile along with a M1 is BAD news if it is not registered as such. Once registered it is that way forever. If you are positive it wasn't registered remove the selector and destroy and enjoy your piece of history.

·
Registered
396 Posts
M2 parts are the M2 trigger group , the slide (charging handle) is machined for a selecter lever and switch/spring. A round bolt was used for weight. The M1's came before the M-2's as stated and used in the Korean War. During the Vietnam war they were given to the ARVN.
South Korea had a bunch of M1 Carbines exported to us by Blue Skys with a mix of M-2 parts but returned to Semi-Auto configuration. I believe in the 80's.
They had a fault. The M2 would fire if one switched the auto slector on when it had a round chambered. The M1 is a neat rifle. My dad got M1 (mine) in the 1960's as a NRA instructor thru the Rock Island Arsenal in IL. I still have the reciept for $11.00. My father was a SeaBee who landed in North Africa in WW2.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The carbine was fine for the purposes for which it was intended. It was never intended to be a main battle rifle, although it was frequently used as such in the Pacific and China-Burma-india theater. The British SAS thought highly of the carbine and used it often. The Brits also employed it extensively in the campaign against the Malayan insurgents post WWII. I have noticed that virtually no one maligns the German MP 40, which had a much shorter range, and fired a less powerful cartridge.

·
Premium Member
9,765 Posts
The carbine was fine for the purposes for which it was intended. It was never intended to be a main battle rifle, although it was frequently used as such in the Pacific and China-Burma-india theater. The British SAS thought highly of the carbine and used it often. The Brits also employed it extensively in the campaign against the Malayan insurgents post WWII. I have noticed that virtually no one maligns the German MP 40, which had a much shorter range, and fired a less powerful cartridge.
But the MP40 was German....Got it.............

21 - 33 of 33 Posts