The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the worst long-gun you ever bought?

For me, it would have to be the Ruger 77/357. Out-of-the-box it had a extremely rough action, terrible jams with JSP projectiles, and weak ejection of the first three rounds :bleh:. I sent it to Ruger under warranty to be repaired. When I received it, I immediately took to my local range/gun-store for testing; jammed again. I was so mad I opened the action cleared the gun and walked to the counter and sold it on the spot:mad:.

What's funny is I regret selling it now:(. I wished I had kept it and fixed the problems myself; when it did work it was awesome.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have had 2 both Weatherbys. The first was a Vanguard in 22-250. Scattered the shots all over. Nothing that looked like a group. Took it back to the dealer. He shot every brand of ammo he had in it with the same results. Sent it back to Weatherby. It came back with a note in the box saying if i wanted a target rifle i should have bought one.:mad: Traded it for a Ruger 22-250. Decided to try again and bought a Lazermark in 240 Weatherby Mag. Wouldn't feed a round from the mag. 2 trips back to Weatherby and it never was fixed. Traded that for a Ruger 22 Hornet.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
I once owned a Winchester .22lr that was a lever gun. When you would lever in a round it would shoot right away, when you pulled the triger. Wait a minute, and it would not fire! Took it to a gun smith, and had all the springs replaced, but that still did not slove the problem. If you ran it fast it did fine, if you waited a moment, it wouldn't fire. It was the only gun I had at the time, so I tried to use it. Hunting rabbits worked fine, not so for squirrels. Working the lever for rabbits was usually done after the rabbit was on the move. Racking the lever with squirrels, just put them on the move. Finally swaped it in on a Remington Nylon.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
I've never had one that worked.

Every one of them wanted oil massages,
to be held, and carried everywhere they went.

And it was up to me to feed them.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Mine was a Savage Model 10 in 22-250. I could never get it to shoot under 1/2" like the maker guaranteed. Tried a bunch of different loads, both factory and handloads. Sold it and will not own another one. Besides; I hated the feel of the gun. Terrible stock, clunky action etc.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
I've never had one that worked.

Every one of them wanted oil massages,
to be held, and carried everywhere they went.

And it was up to me to feed them.
All of yours must be democrats.:D

·
Super Moderator
41,421 Posts
I'm glad to know that it wasn't just the Ruger 77/357 that I owned that had the rough bolt action.

I guess the worst one I had was a Mossberg .308 Bolt action. The bolt face and extractor kept breaking. Only fired 12 rounds through it and had to send it back to Mossberg two times to get that many fired.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
rem 597 quad rail. I feeds perfect but is the most innaccurate POS I've ever owned. My pistols can shoot more accurately... It's going to go back to Remington when I stop being lazy, for some 'tune' up action...

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Mine was a brand new Remington 788 in .308 Win. I couldn't get it to shoot worth a pile of beans. Swapped it for a sporterized U.S. M1903 (Remington) 30/06 - that was THE best tack driver I've ever had. Compared to the '03 sporter, the 788 was cheaply made.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Ruger M77 in 7MM Mag.
3 weeks of reloads (about 12 variations) before I gave up. Best group was
3+" at 100 yds, it was awful.
At the time, My Brother was in the Colorado School of Trades Gunsmithing and he rebarreled it with a Shilen, it drove tacks after that. With 2 of the same loads used earlier.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Worst one I ever had was a Winchester mod. 94 30-30. I was living in Michigan at the time, and had always wanted a mod. 94 for deer hunting. Went to auctions, hit the local gun shops and they were always going for something north of $250. (1975). A little steep for me at the time, as I was workin' for Uncle Sam (USAF) and money was a little tight. Saw a add one day at a GiantWay store in Petoskey, and they were selling 94's for like $88. These were, of course, the Winchester's that basically were junk at the time, if you got a good one ....you were lucky. Went through 12-15 differant ones at the store with the sales clerk, looking for the one w/ the best looking stock. Bought the thing, took it to the Charlevoix gun club and could never get it to shoot consistant groups....ah like 10-14" at 100 yrds. and always high & too the right. Ended up taking it back to Iowa while on leave and traded it off at a pawn shop for a Mauser 98 re-barreled in 7mm Rem Mag, w/ case and 2.5-7 Weaver glass on top, even up. I was glad to get rid of that Winchester, and that was a great deal for me. Sold the Mauser 7yrs later for $375... lesson learned.....should have poped for the mod. 94's at auction/gs for $250-300...because they were the pre-64's and a much better rifle!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
It was that rubber band gun my friend down the street built. What a piece of crap. I had to completely redesign it. Of course it shot rocks when I was through with it!

·
Registered
108 Posts
The worst piece of junk I ever had was a Winchester 1300 pump shotgun , NWTF decorations on it . Wrapped it around a tree one day while out rabbit hunting , after many attempts to make it work , by me and others !

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
My 795 has some problems, mostly feeding problems.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Weatherby pump shotgun. I did not buy it but won it at our local Friends of NRA banquet. After I got it home I took it out and shot it and it handled like a piece of crap. I kept it for a few months and was going to use it as a loaner gun when friends were shooting or hunting with me. I had my choice of it or 3 other guns that were on the auction table that night. I wish now I had picked one of the others but they were all synthetic stocks and I am still old school. My guns are blued with wood stocks. I ended up trading it for a Ruger 10/22 about 3 months after I got it.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts