The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed an increase in those carrying guns in public that are the type who would give the gun community a bad name? In the last couple years I have seen several people carrying openly in such a way that their only logical reason for doing so would be for intimidation purposes. I’m not talking about someone simply carrying OWB, but putting on a blatant display.

Take for example, a couple days ago I stopped in to a local gas station to buy a carton of Mountain Dew, and a guy comes in behind me wearing jeans, dark sunglasses, a black t-shirt with the sleeves ripped off, a shoulder holster with a Glock 21 on one side and a knife with attached brass knuckles on the other side, and a Rambo knife on his hip. As I glanced up while picking up my Mountain Dew, he was literally strutting through the store. He grabbed two Monster energy drinks, and made it to the register before me, and while I stood behind him in line he was literally posing like some Barney [email protected]$$ wannabe, flexing his small biceps while paying for his drinks. The whole time, I couldn’t decide whether to laugh or worry that he would start shooting up the place. Needless to say, my hand was on my .38 Special in my cargo shorts the whole time just in case, but he left without incident, and after he left the store erupted in laughter.

What do you guys think? Anybody see things like this starting to increase in your area?

·
Premium Member
20,091 Posts
Open carry is not allowed in my state. Some off-duty cops open carry. No one seems to notice or care. I have seen them with no badges or anything identifying them as the police.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, open carry has always been legal in Kentucky (at least for the last 50 years, I’d have to do research before that), but up until recently, the only people I ever saw open carrying were people hiking, hunting, or working on a farm (or on their way to do so). It seems that in the last few years, all this has changed though.

·
Registered
17,382 Posts
While I have not seen such as you describe (open carry is not legal in Florida) I believe it is done mostly by young people.

We have these age limits. When many children turn 21 they immediately go out and get drunk. "I'm an adult, I can get drunk if I want to." And some people get drunk all the time, because now they are old enough - they are an adult - and getting drunk is demonstrating to the world that they are now adults.

And there are age limits about carrying a gun. When people are old enough to own a gun, they want to show it off. They want to show everyone that they are now an adult and can carry a gun.

Like the drinking, the gun flashing will, hopefully, go away as they get older. They grow out of it.

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
7,234 Posts
As far as I know, open carry has always been legal in AZ. Heck, when I moved here, people walked into the bar, handed a gun to the bartender, and spent the day drinking and watching NASCAR. Then they took the gun back and left - no big deal. The point being, nobody here is concerned or impressed about the sight of a gun being carried in public. While we do get idiots like the OP describes, if you follow one to its car, you'll almost always find it sporting plates from the PRC to the Left of us. As Alpo described, it has something to do with being new to certain freedoms, and as these people spend more time here, they calm down some.

Still, it's kinda fun to watch the Liberal scum cringe when I walk around Sam's Club with my gun exposed...

·
Registered
8,107 Posts
I rarely see it, but it does happen. Wallyworld is famous for being anti-gun. Went there last month and there was a couple in their mid 40s. The woman had a revolver in a holster on her hip. Both were what I saw as 'pretty unkempt' (but that it up to them how they dress or personal hygiene). I am about as pro Open Carry as they come, but they seemed to be trying to make a tough guy statement. I sometimes open carry myself, but I don't flaunt the fact that I am armed. Mostly when I carry it is concealed as best as I can do it.

Kind of harks back to my early years in the military. We weren't allowed to travel or go Off Post in our work uniforms (had to be Civvies or Class A uniforms). Even years later when I worked for United Airlines we were forbidden to go into liquor stores or bars in our United uniforms. If we got caught doing it we were in trouble with the Company big-time. The impression you give to others is important when you represent a group. Like it or not, when you open carry you represent the rest of gun owners in America. Some people are so full of themselves that they don't give a rat's behind about anyone else.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Well, open carry has always been legal in Kentucky (at least for the last 50 years, I’d have to do research before that), but up until recently, the only people I ever saw open carrying were people hiking, hunting, or working on a farm (or on their way to do so). It seems that in the last few years, all this has changed though.
Open carry with no permit needed has been legal here in Kentucky from day one when Kentucky became a state. Now constitutional carry is legal here in Kentucky.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Open carry is legal in NC and always has been to my knowledge .As has been observed it was never seen frequently except in very rural areas in hunting and fishing seasons . Now a days a lot of the mall ninjas strut around armed to the teeth.I get that everyone may not can afford the concealed permit process and have to open carry .I dont feel comfortable being the obvious first target for a shooter so i will stay with concealed

·
Premium Member
14,025 Posts
Missouri has always been open carry except back before pre-emption was passed. At that time the bigger cities had ordinances against it. I'm not sure what happened then as there might have been exceptions to the state law. Even then you rarely saw anyone carrying open except when hunting, trapping, hiking or on the farm or their rural property.

Since Missouri passed open/constitutional carry I can count on one hand and have fingers left the number of times I've seen open carry and honestly, I never noticed the individual, just the handgun. Nothing like you described Mr. Flintstone. But, in outstate Missouri firearms are no big deal. Yesterday when I was fishing I could hear gunfire in three different directions.

I remember when I was stationed in Arizona I would see open carry once in a while and that was in '73 and '74. Wyoming was the same way when we lived there, you'd see someone open carrying once in a while. It was no big deal in either place.

We had a guy who goes to our church who used to open carry a knife bigger than a Rambo blade, to church. He didn't carry it long. Nice guy but I think he got tired of most of us having a good natured laugh at his expense. There was probably a dozen of us carrying concealed firearms...to include our minister.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Let the man buy his drinks he isn't bothering you. You don't need to watch him or reach for anything. That's real intimidation. wearing different clothes than you is not. I've got nothing but respect for people who refuse to ask for permission and just open carry. I don't care if they wear baggy pants or a rag on their head or biker gear. Has absolutely nothing to do with the mans character. Maybe all the money you put into clothes he put into his kids or family. We don't know.

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
I don't often open carry just because I believe tactically, carrying truly concealed gives a small amount of the element of surprise in defending yourself. Hopefully, I never need to prove that point ever.

That being said, we do see folks open carry here in N Idaho fairly frequently, but certainly not on a daily or weekly basis and we can go a few months in between at times without seeing someone open carry. It is just part of living in N Idaho. But no, I have not seen anyone austentatious about open carry and it gets little if any attention when it is present.

But once again, I believe, as probably most up here, that concealed carry is simply a better tactic. We are a constitutional carry state so no permit is needed for either and that is the way it should be.

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
Hardly ever see open carry in my part of Texas...it's been legal a year or so. Wonder what will occur after 1 September when Constitutional Carry happens here. Wish the legislature had included some training...Dunno how that would occur though. One of my close friends is a sentinal at our church, (Mega church needs a bunch, and they are all trained by the local Sheriff's office) and recently one of the church members showed up Open Carry. After the service, he was confronted, and was very apologetic and contrite...not really something we need to see. I am fairly certain that besides the armed sentinals, we have a few hundred concealed weapons in the sanctuary.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Let the man buy his drinks he isn't bothering you. You don't need to watch him or reach for anything. That's real intimidation. wearing different clothes than you is not. I've got nothing but respect for people who refuse to ask for permission and just open carry. I don't care if they wear baggy pants or a rag on their head or biker gear. Has absolutely nothing to do with the mans character. Maybe all the money you put into clothes he put into his kids or family. We don't know.
I will address this as diplomatically as I can. 1) Neither I nor anyone else said anything to this young man nor did we stare at him or interfere with his purchase of anything. It was clear that his his intent was to draw attention to himself, and he was mostly ignored. The only reason I was privy to his actions is because I was in line behind him. 2) I did not reach for anything, nor did intimidate anyone. I carry concealed, and absolutely no one in the store was aware that I was carrying. I find it only prudent that when faced with an out of the ordinary situation that could potentially go sideways, to put ones self in a position to quickly access their weapon if the need arises. I find it hard to believe that a bald fat man with a carton of Mountain Dew in one hand, and the other hand in his pocket is intimidating in any way. 3) My reaction to this situation was based more on this young man’s actions (flexing, strutting, etc…) than his carrying a weapon; and no one said that he needed permission to do anything he did, but you do something to make yourself look like a laughingstock, be prepared to live with the consequences. And 4) if this young man only spends my budget for my clothes on his family, they’ll likely starve before week’s end.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
The grey man has serious advantages tactically and psychologically. Its one thing for a hand to have his Colt visible under his jacket at the hardware store on the way home in Casper it’s another thing to shove your pistol in everyone’s face while picking up some smokes and Red Bull on your way out for the evening in Houston.

·
Registered
282 Posts
this past weekend as I was in the circle K paying for my water the guy behind
had is pistol fall out of his pants, I looked him dead in the eye and said.
seriously, you need to holster that &*^%)@& thing.
he said WHAT you never seen a gun before.
I replied , I've seen plenty I just don't make it a habit of throwing them on the
floor in a public place.
as I'm about to drive away I watch as the toolbag walks over to his car and drops
the pistol again out of his pants.
my wife looked at me and said what an idiot...
oh if anyone cares we had a great lunch at dimitri's in Sebring Fl

1 - 20 of 107 Posts