The Firearms Forum banner

61 - 80 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
My father and a friend both in their early 70s were on their back from a evening Bible study. They were waved down by a couple of youngs guys with a flat who needed a jack. At the back of the car they were suddenly facing 2 pistols. They both told me that they smiled at each and then moved at the same second. They're training carried them thru. They beat them to the ground with their own guns and called the cops. While waiting for their ride they got to hear a uplifting message of repentance, forgiveness and salvation.😇
Now that's a happy ending!

·
Registered
766 Posts
I seems that I see at least one person open carrying every time I go into town. Those open carrying are usually in the 21 to 30 age range. Most of them are casual about it but on occasion, I do see some acting as you described. In my humble opinion, open carrying is not tactically sound, if something was to happen, I believe that those targeted first. JM2C

·
GUNZILLA
7,397 Posts

Yep. The guy that shot the church shooter - the man that has just shot close to 50 people in the church - the guy that ran outside with his rifle and shot him should have stayed hiding in his house. Instead of grabbing a rifle and running to be "a hero".

Yeah, that's what he shoulda done.
My comment about machismo is not directed at scenarios where active shooting is taking place, it is more about one to one confrontations like at a bar or a club for example.

·
Garandaholic
9,551 Posts
I can't really say I've seen an increase.
I can say I support open carry in general.
In specific, I think we'd be a lot better off if more people did.
The lamestream is getting their way in promoting ridiculous reactions to just seeing a firearm.
The more it's a normal everyday occurrence, the less "freaked out" people will be.

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
Has anyone noticed an increase in those carrying guns in public that are the type who would give the gun community a bad name? In the last couple years I have seen several people carrying openly in such a way that their only logical reason for doing so would be for intimidation purposes. I’m not talking about someone simply carrying OWB, but putting on a blatant display.

Take for example, a couple days ago I stopped in to a local gas station to buy a carton of Mountain Dew, and a guy comes in behind me wearing jeans, dark sunglasses, a black t-shirt with the sleeves ripped off, a shoulder holster with a Glock 21 on one side and a knife with attached brass knuckles on the other side, and a Rambo knife on his hip. As I glanced up while picking up my Mountain Dew, he was literally strutting through the store. He grabbed two Monster energy drinks, and made it to the register before me, and while I stood behind him in line he was literally posing like some Barney [email protected]$$ wannabe, flexing his small biceps while paying for his drinks. The whole time, I couldn’t decide whether to laugh or worry that he would start shooting up the place. Needless to say, my hand was on my .38 Special in my cargo shorts the whole time just in case, but he left without incident, and after he left the store erupted in laughter.

What do you guys think? Anybody see things like this starting to increase in your area?
If an individual with a pocketed .25 had quietly entered the station with intentions of robbing it, the Rambo wannabe would've become an instant statistic.

·
Registered
17,393 Posts
If a man with a pocketed 25 had entered the station with the intention to rob it, he would have seen a man standing there with a gun, and turned around and left.

Think of it from the criminals point of view. If I go rob the station, with a gun, and I get caught, that's armed robbery. 5 to 10. If I murder a customer, that's the needle.

If a half a dozen people have planned for 6 weeks or more to rob the bank, and they all bust in, and there's somebody there with a gun, they might possibly shoot him. They have a lot involved in this robbery.

But if a guy goes into the c-store to knock it over for the $50 that didn't get put in the safe yet, he is not going to commit a murder. Criminals are stupid, yes. But even criminals aren't that damn stupid.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Said it several times before on my thoughts on open vs CCW . OPEN CARRY , criminal sees you armed and shoots you 1st or criminal comes in and sees you and maybe 1 or more people armed and says "screw this " .. Never thought about the bank job vs a C store robbery and yes that to would have a bearing also . And for me it is the thought if the criminal is a strung out addict wanting money for dope also . How ever you carry just pray you never have to I guess but darn glad you can .

·
Deer Stalker
6,305 Posts
Open carry is insane IMO. Let's say you visit a walmart in....a texas border city. Some nut case walks in and starts shooting people. Who is the first person that's gonna get a bullet? Yep, the open carry dude/dudette.

Now, there are proper places for open carry, Cowboy shoots, hiking in Griz country where I live.

But other than a handful of places like the aforementioned, open carry is insane.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Open carry is insane IMO. Let's say you visit a walmart in....a texas border city. Some nut case walks in and starts shooting people. Who is the first person that's gonna get a bullet? Yep, the open carry dude/dudette.

Now, there are proper places for open carry, Cowboy shoots, hiking in Griz country where I live.

But other than a handful of places like the aforementioned, open carry is insane.
I agree 101%.
Never give up the element of surprise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone noticed an increase in those carrying guns in public that are the type who would give the gun community a bad name? In the last couple years I have seen several people carrying openly in such a way that their only logical reason for doing so would be for intimidation purposes. I’m not talking about someone simply carrying OWB, but putting on a blatant display.

Take for example, a couple days ago I stopped in to a local gas station to buy a carton of Mountain Dew, and a guy comes in behind me wearing jeans, dark sunglasses, a black t-shirt with the sleeves ripped off, a shoulder holster with a Glock 21 on one side and a knife with attached brass knuckles on the other side, and a Rambo knife on his hip. As I glanced up while picking up my Mountain Dew, he was literally strutting through the store. He grabbed two Monster energy drinks, and made it to the register before me, and while I stood behind him in line he was literally posing like some Barney [email protected]$$ wannabe, flexing his small biceps while paying for his drinks. The whole time, I couldn’t decide whether to laugh or worry that he would start shooting up the place. Needless to say, my hand was on my .38 Special in my cargo shorts the whole time just in case, but he left without incident, and after he left the store erupted in laughter.

What do you guys think? Anybody see things like this starting to increase in your area?
yes on tv all the time both blacks and whites i stay home with my guns and mind my business
all these with the ar-15s and dressed like milltary badasses give regular gunowners a bad rep

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well, this guy either forgot he was carrying or became complacent and turned his back to the 'world' by using a urinal.

If you are carrying, whether CC or OC - use the stall with a closed door......
Open Carry is legal in Michigan, although with a bunch of rules. I live 5 blocks from the Detroit city line and am in and about the city and surrounding area all the time. This concerns me more than anything else. This guy made himself an easy target, but still.

·
11,152 Posts
yep my wallet is in my right front pocket of my cargo shorts, I carry my EDC in what my wife calls the
shoot your &*%@ off position, why do I carry there, because I'm fat and its comfy and you can't see it.
... the gun that is.
Wallet in left front, keys and TFF Pocket knife and keys in right front pocket, weapon over right front because I eat too many grits.

·
11,152 Posts
My father always instructed us to walk or run away from a fight, also he added that if they caught up to you show them they have hell to pay.

At a certain point in life we all will be faced with a situation that is not favorable, and not all situations warrant a lethal response, even if it means that your teeth got knock out, getting punched still does not warrant a lethal response. I understand fear, more than most people may realize but many times it is not fear that guides us to resolving our immediate situation by drawing your firearm, I believe it could be ego and a sense of machismo that drives us to make a bad decision. If your pride is bruised, shake it off and move on. We all encounter knuckle draggers of both male and female types and wish we could just choke the living daylights out of them, but answer me this, are you willing to chance ruining what you cherish the most like your freedom and your loved ones for a knuckle dragger whether male or female. Not me. If anything I encourage everyone to take classes in boxing, martial arts, or some other form of hand to hand so that ones immediate response is not a lethal one, but that the knuckle dragger knows he/she have hell to pay.
Well Sir, smack me in the mouth and that will be their last time to do do. Nothing personal.

·
11,152 Posts
On the news tonight, 400 lb guy pulls up to gas pump, gets out and bests the crap out of a lady he does not know, news called it a hate crime. If you were there, would you have protected the lady, would have posdibly shot him before he best her to death?
In Texas the law says if I fear for someone else's life, I can protect them and act in self defense.
Then who pays your lawyer fees?

·
Registered
408 Posts
On the news tonight, 400 lb guy pulls up to gas pump, gets out and bests the crap out of a lady he does not know, news called it a hate crime. If you were there, would you have protected the lady, would have posdibly shot him before he best her to death?
If you are referring to the one in the link it would be a tough call but due to the obvious 'disparity of force' in this case shooting by a 3rd party might very well be justified as the woman had no way to defend herself.

Quite frankly it wouldn't have bothered me to see this fat pig splattered in the street....

·
Premium Member
20,117 Posts
My father always instructed us to walk or run away from a fight, also he added that if they caught up to you show them they have hell to pay.

At a certain point in life we all will be faced with a situation that is not favorable, and not all situations warrant a lethal response, even if it means that your teeth got knock out, getting punched still does not warrant a lethal response. I understand fear, more than most people may realize but many times it is not fear that guides us to resolving our immediate situation by drawing your firearm, I believe it could be ego and a sense of machismo that drives us to make a bad decision. If your pride is bruised, shake it off and move on. We all encounter knuckle draggers of both male and female types and wish we could just choke the living daylights out of them, but answer me this, are you willing to chance ruining what you cherish the most like your freedom and your loved ones for a knuckle dragger whether male or female. Not me. If anything I encourage everyone to take classes in boxing, martial arts, or some other form of hand to hand so that ones immediate response is not a lethal one, but that the knuckle dragger knows he/she have hell to pay.
My dad taught me to never run from a fight. I didn't totally agree with him so I taught my son to avoid a fight if you can but never run away. If someone hits a senior citizen over 65 it is a felony. Since I am 71 years old if someone hits me they will meet my 9mm as fast as I can.

·
GUNZILLA
7,397 Posts
Well Sir, smack me in the mouth and that will be their last time to do do. Nothing personal.
My advice is mostly directed at the young. Should have mad it clear. As old geezers myself included we may have no other recourse, and life in prison is not a deterrent, especially when our future concerns us with thoughts of "please let me make it to the bathroom in time."

Reactions: tedwitt

·
11,152 Posts
If you are referring to the one in the link it would be a tough call but due to the obvious 'disparity of force' in this case shooting by a 3rd party might very well be justified as the woman had no way to defend herself.

Quite frankly it wouldn't have bothered me to see this fat pig splattered in the street....

That's the one. He did it because she is Latino.

61 - 80 of 107 Posts