The Firearms Forum banner

81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,117 Posts
There are some people that look at older people as easy prey. The wife and I had 3 younger men mouthing off to us in a Walmart parking lot last year. It was after 10 pm and dark out. I put my hand on my gun never pulling it but it was enough for them to shut up and move on.

·
Registered
253 Posts
And a good example of this is the guy at the FedEx shooting earlier this year who went to his vehicle to retrieve a gun and return to be the 'hero' or whatever - and got killed.

I am afraid we will hear of more situations like this as more gun owners with a 'sense of machismo' will act defensively instead of heading south at the first sign - or sound - of a possible shooting.

An excellent example of this was the Kyle RIttenhouse shooting in WI. Not only should he have NOT been where he was he also got VERY lucky.

He was not some great war hero with vast experience in combat and firearms training. He was a 17 YO kid with the 'sense of machismo' and he very well could have been the one killed.
Are you really saying not to use your weapon to save lives and you should just run away? Law enforcement is always to slow 100 people could be dead by the time they show up. Everyone that has the chance to do something should. This is why every one should have a gun if they did there would be zero mass shootings. In a imperfect perfect scenario any shooting should have a maximum of two casualties. The person goes nuts and enters a crowded place and shoots someone. If everyone had a gun then the person nearest takes him out. It's done and over with now hopefully the victim lives and the shooter dies. The sad part is you have to let the shooter squeeze off the first shot. If you were to shoot the shooter right after he drew his gun. You would be crucified by the news lawyers and police. They will try to argue that he wouldn't of actually shot the gun. This is the screwed up world we live in.

·
Registered
253 Posts
My father always instructed us to walk or run away from a fight, also he added that if they caught up to you show them they have hell to pay.

At a certain point in life we all will be faced with a situation that is not favorable, and not all situations warrant a lethal response, even if it means that your teeth got knock out, getting punched still does not warrant a lethal response. I understand fear, more than most people may realize but many times it is not fear that guides us to resolving our immediate situation by drawing your firearm, I believe it could be ego and a sense of machismo that drives us to make a bad decision. If your pride is bruised, shake it off and move on. We all encounter knuckle draggers of both male and female types and wish we could just choke the living daylights out of them, but answer me this, are you willing to chance ruining what you cherish the most like your freedom and your loved ones for a knuckle dragger whether male or female. Not me. If anything I encourage everyone to take classes in boxing, martial arts, or some other form of hand to hand so that ones immediate response is not a lethal one, but that the knuckle dragger knows he/she have hell to pay.
Your father taught you to turn the other cheek how well has that worked for you? I'm curious because I have a brother that was taught to turn the other cheek and he has suffered for it greatly.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Are you really saying not to use your weapon to save lives and you should just run away?
NO I am NOT saying this but it seems far too many emotions got in the way of logic and understanding.

Every situation will be different and will dictate exactly how one should react.

One of the most basic (and overlooked) possibilities of acting (or reacting) to an active shooting is the possibility of one NOT knowing who the shooter is and potentially shooting another 'good guy' who is reacting to the shooting as well and may be displaying a gun.

Bottom line is there is no 'perfect scenario' and there will never be a time when 'everyone' will have a gun.

·
Registered
253 Posts
yes on tv all the time both blacks and whites i stay home with my guns and mind my business
all these with the ar-15s and dressed like milltary badasses give regular gunowners a bad rep
Why does it give gun owners a bad rap people can dress any way they want as long as they aren't exposing themselves. Here's a perfect example when I am not doing business I wear anything I have and put it on mainly grub or work clothes maybe torn or whatever. Someone could look at me and think I'm poor when in reality I could have $20,000.00 in my pocket. Now when I'm doing business I look good and I'm constantly asked for money by people in whatever state or country I am in. This is why I always dress crappy when I am home.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Why does it give gun owners a bad rap people can dress any way they want as long as they aren't exposing themselves. Here's a perfect example when I am not doing business I wear anything I have and put it on mainly grub or work clothes maybe torn or whatever. Someone could look at me and think I'm poor when in reality I could have $20,000.00 in my pocket. Now when I'm doing business I look good and I'm constantly asked for money by people in whatever state or country I am in. This is why I always dress crappy when I am home.
John Farnham recommends to blend in and not draw attention to yourself in anyway. Don't stand out in your clothes and your actions. Don't drive the fancy car or flash gold and jewels that draw attention to you.

Be the person that folks look right past. That helps keep you from becoming a target and it helps make people underestimate your ability to respond.

I wore a shirt and tie for 20 years and have only put that on a handful of times in the last 15 years since I retired from medicine. I truly am a vision of John Farnham's advice out and about. Jeans, old sneakers, and a worn sweater or denim blue shirt untucked to help conceal which ever is my carry gun of the day.

I guess I look like the wrong kind of person to many. Hopefully, they just overlook me and move on.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Removed. Sorry, I went off on a tangent.

Reactions: tedwitt

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
There are some people that look at older people as easy prey. The wife and I had 3 younger men mouthing off to us in a Walmart parking lot last year. It was after 10 pm and dark out. I put my hand on my gun never pulling it but it was enough for them to shut up and move on.
About 10 years ago, I got tired of shaving all the time so I let my scruffy little gray beard grow. I started shaving a couple of times a week after I realized it was making me look 10 years older and I was becoming a target to creeps.

In the next couple of years, I was accosted 4 times. Something I had never experienced in my 50 plus years on this earth. People do try and take advantage of the elderly and at 63 and 5'6" and now about 185 lbs, well, it is a bit hard for me to look like Arnold if you know what I mean.

So, the masks have let me go back to shaving only when I can't stand the scruffy beard any longer. But yes, I am getting old enough and have lost about 40 pounds in the last 20 years so I guess that is why I have had more issues in public in the last 10 years.

One of my colleagues was mugged in LA a couple of years before I retired. One of the other docs told him, what do you expect, you are so small. You are not like Peter where folks will leave you alone. I guess at 5'7" and about 200 lbs at that time made me look tougher than I was for sure. But appearances on the street mean a lot.

Not sure why I looked like someone not to mess with in those days, but yes, losing weight, looking older and perhaps more frail does make you a quick target to these creeps as I am beginning to experience myself. Not fun. Makes you keep a closer eye on folks around you for sure.

You have to be VERY careful about even putting a hand on your gun. Depending on witness statements, If someone reports you that you made them fear, DA's can drum up assault charges in certain jurisdictions. Just watched an education video yesterday with lawyers discussing the self defense aftermath. Brandishing was brought up several times and discussed in great detail. Just putting your hand on the gun is not brandishing, but they still warned you have to be very careful even putting your hand on the gun without drawing it. It could be seen as an escalation to deadly force if it is not clear to witnesses that you are the potential victim. Once again, appearances matter.

·
GUNZILLA
7,397 Posts
Your father taught you to turn the other cheek how well has that worked for you? I'm curious because I have a brother that was taught to turn the other cheek and he has suffered for it greatly.
He never said to turn the other cheek. He said to walk away or run if you have too, but if they catch you give them hell to pay. I am not a fast runner so they dealt with hell.

Reactions: tedwitt

·
Registered
18 Posts
Has anyone noticed an increase in those carrying guns in public that are the type who would give the gun community a bad name? In the last couple years I have seen several people carrying openly in such a way that their only logical reason for doing so would be for intimidation purposes. I’m not talking about someone simply carrying OWB, but putting on a blatant display.

Take for example, a couple days ago I stopped in to a local gas station to buy a carton of Mountain Dew, and a guy comes in behind me wearing jeans, dark sunglasses, a black t-shirt with the sleeves ripped off, a shoulder holster with a Glock 21 on one side and a knife with attached brass knuckles on the other side, and a Rambo knife on his hip. As I glanced up while picking up my Mountain Dew, he was literally strutting through the store. He grabbed two Monster energy drinks, and made it to the register before me, and while I stood behind him in line he was literally posing like some Barney [email protected]$$ wannabe, flexing his small biceps while paying for his drinks. The whole time, I couldn’t decide whether to laugh or worry that he would start shooting up the place. Needless to say, my hand was on my .38 Special in my cargo shorts the whole time just in case, but he left without incident, and after he left the store erupted in laughter.

What do you guys think? Anybody see things like this starting to increase in your area?
No

·
Registered
18 Posts
NOW - read the following carefully. It was a post on a local gun forum I am a long term member of by a relatively new member who admitted he WAS a NEW GUN OWNER:

If I see anyone crazy enough or bold enough to open carry in a store or public place where there are people around, I am doing two things.

1. Leaving the area immediately.
2. Calling the police.

I don’t see any need to open carry unless you’re out away, whether it’s a law or not, and I suspect the police would want to have a conversation with that person to determine level of threat.

It may be a right, but that doesn’t mean I have to be comfortable with it.

OK - anyone catch the last part ? 'I don't have to be comfortable with it' - SO - he indicated he does NOT care what the law is but it was all about 'his feelings'.

Well I am sure most can imagine what the responses he got ! I am actually surprised he is still a member of the forum!
call the police? I'd like to report an American practicing his 2A God given rights down at the 7-11? Dam

·
Registered
181 Posts
John Farnham recommends to blend in and not draw attention to yourself in anyway. Don't stand out in your clothes and your actions. Don't drive the fancy car or flash gold and jewels that draw attention to you.

Be the person that folks look right past. That helps keep you from becoming a target and it helps make people underestimate your ability to respond.

I wore a shirt and tie for 20 years and have only put that on a handful of times in the last 15 years since I retired from medicine. I truly am a vision of John Farnham's advice out and about. Jeans, old sneakers, and a worn sweater or denim blue shirt untucked to help conceal which ever is my carry gun of the day.

I guess I look like the wrong kind of person to many. Hopefully, they just overlook me and move on.
Yep, be the gray man that no one notices.

·
Registered
22LR, 223, 6mm, 6.8, 6.5 C and PRC, .308 .357mag, .40 S&W, 410 bore, 12 ga.
37 Posts
I too know others like your brother. This is why Judgement begins with the Shepherds. The instruction is not addressing what Christians should do when we are wronged. It is addressing the act of revenge that our sinful nature wants. Christians always are to stand up for the Word. We are called to pray and stand for the crippled, be strong for the weak and generally be a good example of Gods salvation and Blessings. No where are we instructed to be Victims.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yep, be the gray man that no one notices.
Or not. I saw a video last year of a stick up somewhere in South America. 3 out of the other 4 patrons there drew their CCWs and convinced him that he was dead. If they had all been open carrying he might have moved on to a gun free zone.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I think open carry around the general public is stupid. Those actually afraid of gun's will be offended and we should take care not to offend people like that. If on the other hand some idiot decides to start shooting people, well, if I were that idiot, guy's with exposed guns would be the first target's! I don't think we should give up the right to carry at all but I don't think we need to antagonize our detractors either! Cost me nothing more than a CC license to carry canceled and then nobody knows it's there!

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
I think open carry around the general public is stupid. Those actually afraid of gun's will be offended and we should take care not to offend people like that. If on the other hand some idiot decides to start shooting people, well, if I were that idiot, guy's with exposed guns would be the first target's! I don't think we should give up the right to carry at all but I don't think we need to antagonize our detractors either! Cost me nothing more than a CC license to carry canceled and then nobody knows it's there!
Excellent point. During the open carry push in Texas those jack wagons that got in the faces of people just trying to eat a meal with their family at a restaurant accomplished nothing other that promote the progressives images of knuckle draggers spoiling for a fight. Many who had neutral feeling and opinions on gun issues were pushed in a direction that isn’t good.
As to deterrent that is dependent on were you are. I guarantee you that if you are spotted by gang members you not only have not deterred violence you have invited it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I hip carry and don't worry about it. Usually covered up, but I just don't care. I don't cater to mental illness or folks that live in a altered reality. Truth is truth. Guns don't kill. Guns are what stops people that choose to. Those are the facts. We live in America so each gets to do as the State they live in allows. God Bless and Preserve America what ever you personally choose. Stay safe, frosty, and be polite. ;)

·
Registered
253 Posts
For the general ignorant non gun owner public they may not notice you are carrying or if it is a very small carry pistol like a 25 or a 32. But I very rarely don't notice when someone is carrying. from the lump where there shouldn't be one to the way your body moves from the unbalanced weight or just the way one acts when carrying. I would think most gun owners can spot someone carrying concealed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Has anyone noticed an increase in those carrying guns in public that are the type who would give the gun community a bad name? In the last couple years I have seen several people carrying openly in such a way that their only logical reason for doing so would be for intimidation purposes. I’m not talking about someone simply carrying OWB, but putting on a blatant display.

Take for example, a couple days ago I stopped in to a local gas station to buy a carton of Mountain Dew, and a guy comes in behind me wearing jeans, dark sunglasses, a black t-shirt with the sleeves ripped off, a shoulder holster with a Glock 21 on one side and a knife with attached brass knuckles on the other side, and a Rambo knife on his hip. As I glanced up while picking up my Mountain Dew, he was literally strutting through the store. He grabbed two Monster energy drinks, and made it to the register before me, and while I stood behind him in line he was literally posing like some Barney [email protected]$$ wannabe, flexing his small biceps while paying for his drinks. The whole time, I couldn’t decide whether to laugh or worry that he would start shooting up the place. Needless to say, my hand was on my .38 Special in my cargo shorts the whole time just in case, but he left without incident, and after he left the store erupted in laughter.

What do you guys think? Anybody see things like this starting to increase in your area?
Kingman Az Crackerbarrel a few years ago, guy comes in full camo carry an AR15, went thru the whole place profiling, when he left you heard various comments, none good

·
Registered
408 Posts
Kingman Az Crackerbarrel a few years ago, guy comes in full camo carry an AR15, went thru the whole place profiling, when he left you heard various comments, none good
Yep it doesn't take many of these types to spread a bad message about gun owners.

Unfortunately I saw this coming a long time ago and the '94 AWB gave it the 'boost' it needed and the rest is history.

As is often said, 'Just because you can doesn't mean you should'.

AND - there have been cases of these 'tacticool' types who have been detained and arrested due to their appearance in public places.

I am all for conservative and subdued open carry in right circumstances but I have to shake my head when I see these 'LARPERS', posers, tacticool etc. types.

81 - 100 of 107 Posts