The Firearms Forum banner

101 - 107 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
" I have to shake my head when I see these 'LARPERS', posers, tacticool etc. types. "
I think you missed 'mall ninjas'...

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Interesting take on Open Carry by John Farnham. His answer: Don't Open Carry.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
John Farnam has a some points I understand his point of view on . And yes being the gray man is safest in most cases . And I do most of the time but with a lot of things going on , with many rights trying to be taken , to choose to show support for something while it still is your right to do so people need to do . 2nd of every month I do make a point to open carry unless for some reason I feel need to CCW at a certain event or place . Not sure I understood the part of need to wear t shirts a bad thing . Yes can get noticed from people who can cause problems but it may get someone else's attenion who needed a nudge to choose . We are all examples for what we believe and support . Being a good or bad example depends on each person . If you dress like Rambo and show poor safety practice (bad) , carry with respect and safety (good) . Our Pastor said when we leave church for another week in the world we need to act and pray like a Christian cause many out there want to be able to yell faker so don't act bad and wear a "F" the world t shirt (which I have seen being worn several times ) . How ever you carry , do it with the respect and safely like a person who appreciates and loves our right to do so . Sorry for my little rant . I feel much better know ..:):):)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I "reach" with my right hand into the right pocket of my cargo shorts or pants every time I'm in a store....ain't been called on it or shot yet. Come to think of it I reach for my right pocket a lot, everywhere. Now, if I were left handed I bet it would be my left pocket..... :giggle:

I'd hate to think I'm that jumpy if I saw someone reaching into their pocket I pull on them. I never did it as an LEO and never as a civilian.
I didn't say I would pull I said if he's reaching I'm reaching.
He said he got nervous at the sight of the man. nervous enough to get his hand on his gun. You can't hide that. Maybe from someone on the spectrum who has a hard time picking up social cues but not the average Joe. Eyes tell all. That means hair on the back of the neck standing up, color leaving the face and going to the extremities, eyes getting big, mouth slightly dropping, glances at exits, ect. If you see some of those social cues, feel that bad vibe, AND dude starts reaching on ya any more than subconsciously for a moment, then I hope for your sake you are ready to react. How many times have you been beaten up, jumped, or robbed as a Leo or otherwise? You probably don't pick up on that predatory behavior because you won't see it when you have the full batman belt on or are in your nice neighborhood. I grew up in a very rough neighborhood. Kids were always fighting and robbing each other. We learned to spot that kind of reaction to your presence from a block away before you got too close and it was too late to run away. Maybe I'm jumpy but I can tell you dozens of times I or someone next to me wasn't jumpy enough and got jumped because of it.

·
Premium Member
14,064 Posts
Yeah, you're jumpy. I grew up in the country, raised by a Christian Mom and Dad among folks of like persuasion. Those who had to be tough or mean or vandalize or steal didn't stay long past high school, if they didn't quit and run off to a city first. If they stuck around...well, they were soon persuaded to change their ways or ended up in prison....or worse. I still live close by and have absolutely no intentions of wasting life or time in a city.

I've never been beaten up or jumped, as an LEO or otherwise.

I like my "nice neighborhood"...a lot. I certainly wouldn't trade it for a cess pool of a city where I had to be jumpy most of the time. Seems a pretty miserable way to live to me but what do I know.

You made you choices, I made mine. I'm sorry for your upbringing and your rather callous outlook. I also doubt I'm going to be surprised as you intimate. Just because I'm evidently a lot more relaxed than you appear to make yourself out to be doesn't mean I'm not alert. I just might be able to read people a whole lot better than you imply.

But I never intended to be a tough guy....

Reactions: ral357 and Gudaki

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I look at open carry just as I do many other things, to each their own. I choose not to open carry for my own personal reasons. No one knows what anyone else will do until they do it, my advice is to train and be prepared for the situation at hand. This opinion will cost you exactly what you paid for it.

101 - 107 of 107 Posts