The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought home a bunch of guns from my parent's place yesterday. One was mine, 2 were my brother's and one was my grandfather's.

One of the guns that I gathered up was my old Remington 870 12 gauge. When I bought this gun in my late teen years, it came with 3 interchangeable chokes- Improved Cylinder, Modified Cylinder and Full Choke. When I last saw the gun, the chokes were in a pouch with the wrench and stored in the case with the gun. Now the pouch is gone, the wrench is gone and two of the chokes are gone. The remaining one is in the barrel. I have no idea which one it is since I don't have the wrench to get it out. Since the last time I used this gun was for deer hunting, I'm HOPING I was smart and had the improved cylinder choke in it.

Before he was killed back in 2011, my brother was keeping it. I was living in Missouri and had no hunting areas near me so it stayed with him up here in Iowa. After he was gone, it got shuffled around being moved from his house to my parent's house to their new house a year after that. I have no idea who has used it or where it's been over the last 20 years or so since I last used it. Those chokes could be anywhere.

That being said, it's going to cost me around $70 to buy another 3 choke set, a wrench and pay for shipping. And that doesn't even count for a storage pouch. I'm a little perturbed but at least he didn't sell my gun to buy another model helicopter.

I brought home 4 guns total and have 3 more to get on the next trip.
My grandfather's Browning Auto 5 12 gauge.
My Remington 870 12 gauge.
My brother's Marlin .22LR rifle
My brother's Knight Wolverine 209 .50 caliber black powder rifle.

Still to gather up:
My .410 shotgun
My brother's .410 shotgun
My brother's Remington 870 12 gauge with iron sites that would make most rifles cry.

And that's not counting the 4 or 5 other guns my dad has at his place.

I'm gonna need a BIG gun safe soon.

·
Premium Member
19,214 Posts
Good start to a nice collection.

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Premium Member
9,342 Posts
Good score. There’s a thread going regarding an A5 and I’m assuming that’s you. If you think $70 is bad just you wait. It will ruin that shotgun’s barrel if you shoot steel shot so if you intend to use it for waterfowl you’ll need to purchase Bismuth shells at $35 a box and up. Good news is the modern A5 barrels with Invector Chokes, I think that’s what Browning calls them, in any event the new barrels work just fine on old shotguns. Bad news is they’re over $500. Ouch.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good score. There’s a thread going regarding an A5 and I’m assuming that’s you. If you think $70 is bad just you wait. It will ruin that shotgun’s barrel if you shoot steel shot so if you intend to use it for waterfowl you’ll need to purchase Bismuth shells at $35 a box and up. Good news is the modern A5 barrels with Invector Chokes, I think that’s what Browning calls them, in any event the new barrels work just fine on old shotguns. Bad news is they’re over $500. Ouch.
Yes, the thread regarding the A5 was me. The chokes were for my Rem 870 though. If I remember correctly, those chokes were also lead only. I might have to upgrade. $$$$$

You do realize that soon as the new chokes and pouch arrive the original set will turn up. :)
Isn’t that how it always works?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts