1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1$ a pop for 223? really?

this is usery..

and the low supply? really?

by now all the ammo makers should be in full swing round the clock production and able to put out ammo like the dickens.

what if we went to war.. you mean to tell me we can't make ammo any fster?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
If major manufacturers put more machines on line and add to the workforce then a lot of major expense is going to go down the tubes and people will be out of work again as soon as the demand matches up with the supply again like it will. May take a few weeks or a few months but this bubble won't last forever and then there will be a glut on the market. In the meantime wqe will have a whole new block of voters with dearly paid for firearms and ammo and they will not look favorably on a ban or any attempt to confiscate. Any attempt by the Feds will result in a sea changer in congress in 2014 as fewer couch potatoes sit it out another election. We got it when it was easy, these guys today are fighting for it and they will be activists.

·
Registered
18,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
can't argue with the effect.. just wish the cause was legit...

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I just checked USA Ammo, they do not carry .223 anymore. They used to have 55 gr FMJ's for $13.95 for a box of 50 You'd be lucky to find $15 for a box of 20 in stores....

·
Registered
811 Posts
Best thing you can do when you see price gougers is to take your $$$ elsewhere and let them know it. Anyone wanting to sell me .223 for $1 a round can shove every one they have right up their.....

·
Registered
180 Posts
Looks like I picked a great time to take up the hobby of reloading. I bought the supplies I needed about three months ago. :)

This is just panic buying feeding more panic buying... It will end sometime. If people would quit spreading rumors about shortages, then there would be far fewer shortages.

It's like living in the Midwest in winter... Someone in weather forecasting says "Blizzard", and people go nuts buying up all the food in the stores, then others panic because all the food is bought up, and as soon as more food ships in buys it up and so on and so on.

If people just bought what they needed, instead of hording, there would be enough for everyone.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
LOL, dollar a round is cheap compared to our gun shows.

More like a buck fiddy for .556 or .223

·
Premium Member
21,004 Posts
You can't even find .223 around here. One thing I can't understand is you can't find .22 lr. Whats the deal with that? The gun stores are loving it as all the guns no one wanted 2 months ago are selling as that's all they have left...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Keep in mind that most businesses (including gunshops) typically have "just enough" inventory on hand. Literally every gun owner in America is now worried about more restrictive laws on not only guns but acquiring ammunition. Add to this a bunch of new gun owners seeking out ammo and all the fear mongering in the media and you have a perfect storm. Your neighbor is worried so he is spending what disposable income he has on weapons and ammo. You also are worried so you are spending more on ammo than you normally would. There is no infinite supply of this stuff.

And if you want to be a conspiracy theorist, maybe there is some behind-the-scenes stuff going on but who knows?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I went to Wally World tonight and they had some stuff......nothing for "black rifles" though....so no 223 or 308 for me. I did manage to get 2 boxes of Winchester Fail Safe 7mm mag for him though.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Gun show saturday:

1,000 rds of 5.56 62 grain green tip: $875

1,000 rds of 5.56 55 grain BT: $650

my son found 2 single boxes of 5.56 62 grain penetrator $15 a box (20 rds ea).

Saw .223 other generic stuff for $25 a box of 20.

not getting any better any time soon.

·
Registered
71 Posts
springfield/stevens mod 15 .22 LR

You can't even find .223 around here. One thing I can't understand is you can't find .22 lr. Whats the deal with that? The gun stores are loving it as all the guns no one wanted 2 months ago are selling as that's all they have left...

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
If I recall correctly, the first election/hoarding episode took about a year to recover, and when it was all over the increasing price of raw materials were to blame, everyone in retrospect seemed to deny they did it for political reasons. We all get to choose where our money goes, but at $1 a round, I'll wait this one out.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Does todays ammo shortages have any effect on me? No, I have beenstockpiling ammo since Aug 31, 1977 the day I retired from the Army. I also have a large amount of ammo that my father left me.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Does todays ammo shortages have any effect on me? No, I have beenstockpiling ammo since Aug 31, 1977 the day I retired from the Army. I also have a large amount of ammo that my father left me.
Good for you, but unfortunately some of us are not and have not been so fortunate.

I am lucky I started reloading about a year ago and have a bunch of fellow reloaders in my area that have helped me with stuff. If not for that I might not have any ammo at the moment.

·
Registered
18,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i saw some milspec battle packs.. some people were wanting 1000$ for ammo charging 1$ a round in bulk. the best I saw ( didn't buy any! ) was about .875 per round in bulk..

that's terrible....

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
My father has 2 spam cans 1100 rounds each of (AK) 7.62 x 39 armor piercing rounds that he is thinking of selling. In today's market there is no telling how much they are worth.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought 4 - 1,000 Round Cases of .223 55 grain FMJs for $405/1000 2 weeks ago, i've been selling a box of 20 shells for $25.00 a Box! Pretty Profitable! I'll clear $4200 Profit if i sell them all!

(Selling them because i have no fun with FMJs)

What i need are some small and large rifle primers so i can hand load up some V-Max that my Savage FVSS 22-250 and bushmaster Varminter 223 LOVE!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Man, crazy prices. I bought all the winchester white box 223 any of my people will ever need back before the first AWB, $179/thou. Even the wife now agrees I did one thing right in my life, ha ha.

Ya know, everybody check Shooters Pro Shop every week. No joke, they got decent deals on Nosler seconds/over runs and they shoot ok for me; talk about bang for the buck.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts