The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Make sure the guy that threaded the barrel made it concentric to the bore, not the OD of the barrel;). I know a couple people that learned the hard way

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Make sure the guy that threaded the barrel made it concentric to the bore, not the OD of the barrel;). I know a couple people that learned the hard way
Very true!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Currently ATF is treating every washer as a separate suppressor, not just the outer sleeve of the suppressor. Thus the individual cannot take his legal suppressor apart to clean it or to replace the baffles. This work must be done by a licensed Title II gunsmith.

I was acquainted with a fellow whose machine shop was raided. He had been making what turned out to be suppressor parts for a customer. He claimed that he did not know what the pieces were. Tough. Prison for him.

Why did you buy a whole box of fender washers?

·
Banned
19 Posts
Currently ATF is treating every washer as a separate suppressor, not just the outer sleeve of the suppressor. Thus the individual cannot take his legal suppressor apart to clean it or to replace the baffles. This work must be done by a licensed Title II gunsmith.
Title 18 chapter 44 defines a silencer as
any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication.
I have never read any statute, CFR or ATF opinion that says an unlicensed silencer owner can't legally take apart their silencer for cleaning.

No ATF agent I've met ever objected to me taking apart any of my cans to show off the baffles. Do you have anything to back up your claim that it is illegal to take apart a silencer? Thanks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
if it screws apart it is meant to come apart to be cleaned, especially 22s. my understanding is that the serialized part, the tube, is the NFA item. i have a form 4, 30 cal can on the way and ill be sending in a form 1 to make a 22 can, ah soon? i hope.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts