The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think about a Yugo SKS 7.62x39 rifle for a women? I am in a toss-up between a Windham Ar-15 or a SKS. The reason I lean towards the SKS is the fact that I have a Yugo M70 for my SHTF rifle and I thought it would be great to have 2 different rifles in the same caliber. What would you guys do?

·
Registered
17,299 Posts
It would depend on several things.

Why a rifle for her? Hunting? Backing you up when the fecal matter strikes the rotary oscillator? Target practice?

How does she feel about an SKS? I've owned two. Never shot either one. Don't like the way it felt - balanced poorly for me.

The "having a second gun in the same caliber" is a nice thing. Makes ammo supplies easier.

If it was gonna be a "backup rifle", I'd get another AK. That way you not only share the same ammo, but the same mags and parts.

If it was for hunting or target practice, I'd get a CZ bolt gun. If I had the money. I think they are going for around 8, now, and I know magazines were 40 bucks each, Christmas of 11.

Either way, I would not get an SKS, but like I said, I don't like 'em.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input Alpo, she will mostly use it for backing me up and target practice. She loves deer and hog meat, but doesn't like everything that comes before that, so I think hunting is out the window. I was thinking about getting another ak, but she has shot mine a few times and I don't think she likes it as much as me. I have a buddy with a SKS that I wanted her to shoot before she makes her mind up. I want her to get a semi auto if she is going to use it to back me up.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
can't go wrong with an AK or an AR!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
My wife is 5'3" and her favorite rifle was my folding stock Polytech AK...Had to sell it but she could shoot it like a champ.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
its great to see some other man that found out how to increase his gun collection by buying guns for the "wife" wink wink;)

I done that for years with fishing gear, but she caught onto me

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Thanks for your input Alpo, she will mostly use it for backing me up and target practice. She loves deer and hog meat, but doesn't like everything that comes before that, so I think hunting is out the window. I was thinking about getting another ak, but she has shot mine a few times and I don't think she likes it as much as me. I have a buddy with a SKS that I wanted her to shoot before she makes her mind up. I want her to get a semi auto if she is going to use it to back me up.
SKS, or AK, just about the same thing. So why did she not like the AK?

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Bob.. Let me give you some well learned and much needed advice. I have been married to the same woman for 11 years. I have always tried to pick rifles for her and it has been hit or miss at best. Sometimes I do good, but most of the time shes like "meh.. Its really just another rifle for you"..

Let her make her own selection and you just stand back and prepare to take it in the wallet, with a smile.. Besides. she may surprise you. ;)

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
And wouldn't you know it. My wifes favorite rifle is a rifle I picked up for me. An Inland GM M1 Carbine. She promptly took it from me and claimed it as her own after firing just a couple rounds. Anxd since it was my rifle, I eventually traded it off and shes not let me hear the end of it since.

·
Registered
17,299 Posts
Got that right. Ten, fifteen years ago I brought home a Rossi 92, 357. My daughter, who had never shown any interest in rifles previously, said, "Oooo, I like this. I want it". Finally broke down and gave it to her for this past Christmas.

Them wimmens, they knows what they wants, and most of the times they gets it.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And wouldn't you know it. My wifes favorite rifle is a rifle I picked up for me. An Inland GM M1 Carbine. She promptly took it from me and claimed it as her own after firing just a couple rounds. Anxd since it was my rifle, I eventually traded it off and shes not let me hear the end of it since.
I wouldn't ether Josh, that is my favorite rifle to shoot and its my dads.

Carver I'm really not sure what she didn't like about the ak, she never told me.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got that right. Ten, fifteen years ago I brought home a Rossi 92, 357. My daughter, who had never shown any interest in rifles previously, said, "Oooo, I like this. I want it". Finally broke down and gave it to her for this past Christmas.

Them wimmens, they knows what they wants, and most of the times they gets it.
That's one fine looking gun there Alpo, I'm trying to convince my wife I need a stainless Marlin 1894 chambered in .44 Mag. to match my Taurus Stainless 6" model 44.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
its great to see some other man that found out how to increase his gun collection by buying guns for the "wife" wink wink;)

That was the thought behind the SKS :D, never owned one, but shot a few and me likey!

·
Registered
17,299 Posts
That's one fine looking gun there Alpo, I'm trying to convince my wife I need a stainless Marlin 1894 chambered in .44 Mag. to match my Taurus Stainless 6" model 44.
Yeah it is. Guess I'm lucky I still "own" the pistols and the shotgun.:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Bob.. Let me give you some well learned and much needed advice. I have been married to the same woman for 11 years. I have always tried to pick rifles for her and it has been hit or miss at best. Sometimes I do good, but most of the time shes like "meh.. Its really just another rifle for you"..

Let her make her own selection and you just stand back and prepare to take it in the wallet, with a smile.. Besides. she may surprise you. ;)
I agree with JLA let the lady deside on her enjoyment level. I think if she is already a shooter then she will get something that is useable and used often.

bigdad5

·
Registered
847 Posts
For the womens remember-low recoil and a stock that fits, esp for the very small stature ladies, but important for all of us.

13 1/2" length of pull dont cut it esp if a hunting rifle and she will be wearing extra clothing. No way can she shoulder it easily. One of the 'youth' models may be in order or take the thick recoil pad off the stock.

If you are taking her gun (rifle/shotgun) shopping have her wear the hunting clothing when shouldering the gun.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
My wife requires about 10.5" LOP for proper postion and cheek weld. That's a tiny ass stock.

·
Garandaholic
9,525 Posts
For the womens remember-low recoil and a stock that fits, esp for the very small stature ladies, but important for all of us.

This is why my wife likes shooting the AR, but hates shooting the AK.
If you have a friend that has guns for her to try is ideal, sometimes the gun that feels right isn't the one you expected.

·
Registered
180 Posts

I had to start buying more just to try and catch up with my wife... She out bought me four to one a couple years in a row. She got the shooting bug bad there for awhile. But, I'm not complaining, just saying.

P.S., it's going to take me the next five Deer seasons to catch up with her number of Deer she's taken with gun and bow now, even if I buy all the bonus tags I can get. :D

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
What do you guys think about a Yugo SKS 7.62x39 rifle for a women? I am in a toss-up between a Windham Ar-15 or a SKS. The reason I lean towards the SKS is the fact that I have a Yugo M70 for my SHTF rifle and I thought it would be great to have 2 different rifles in the same caliber. What would you guys do?
It's been a couple of weeks now, any news!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts