The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
19,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
have avoided the shotshell relaod issue for a while now.. thoughts are drifting back to it.

With shotshells normally so cheap and easy to get.. I had always overlooked them.

I have an old mec press and just need a new shot and powder bottle.. walmart has those..

my brother has a garbage bag full of fired hulls.. about 5g bucket full of poly-wads and about 1k SG primers.. plus a few bags of shot.. thus my temptation..... ( he got all that stuff plus a bucket of mixed pedigree shotgun shells at a yardsale for like 5$ go figure.... )

· Registered
450 Posts
I thought I would get into it as well, just for funsies. I had some Cabels'a gift cards to burn, so I used them on a LEE Load All 2, and some other things.Ordered 50 lbs of #8 shot from Midway(got it in less than 5 days). All I need are some shotshell primers and some hulls(have to go shooting now..)

I know I can still buy cheaper than load my own when it comes to the bird shot loads, but I still want to be able to do it.

I'm even considering getting the LEE Buckshot mold so I can cast my own Buck Shot.

· Premium Member
20,209 Posts
My son and I were going to do it but it cost us more than I can buy them for. We do have a setup and can start if need be. It's the shot. The cost and shipping is just to much.

· Registered
19,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
luckilly i have 2 stores that sell shot locally.. and of all the supplies being gone.. there are still a couple bags of shot on the shelf.. plus the few my bro has.

I doubt I would relaod shells for regular use.. but sure wouldn't be bad just to have the setup actually working in case i needed it.. just load up some balls and powder and pull the handle a few times and have scattergun ammo.. etc..

· Registered
111 Posts
I have about 600 rounds that I loaded about 15 years ago. When I lived in Kansas I used to hunt birds all the time. Then I moved to Arkansas, no birds. Then I moved to Oklahoma, no birds. My Mec is still set up and I have shot, caps and AA hulls but I do not need to load any more.

· Registered
108 Posts
Would like to get a Lee 1 oz slug mold and start to shoot more slugs. Since the panic buying and hoarding started a box of 25 slugs is going for $25 at a range I visit weekly. Those kind of prices take all the fun out punching hole in paper. Have a Mec Jr. that I haven't used in a few years and I do cast so just have to get into gear and do it.

· Registered
3,128 Posts
The lee slugs molds are great, I only have the 7/8oz now but they are stupid easy to load and shoot, very cool 'poor man's' slugs.

Loading shotshells is almost a loss compared to buying new shells but it's certainly a good skill; I still reload because I like to reload and you do save considerable when rolling buckshot/slug/steel or other specialty loads. But target loads, forget it as far as price goes.

Biggest expense is shot, there are still local places here where I can get reclaim shot cheaper than the price of lead/pound, my normal skeet haunt is roughly $1/lb though, still not too bad. Matter o' fact, I plan on using it as my main source for bullet casting lead.

· Registered
19,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
of 25 slugs is going for $25 at a range I visit weekly. Those kind of prices take all the fun out punching hole in paper. Have a Mec Jr. that I haven't used in a few years and I do cast so just have to get into gear and do it.
same here.. buck a pop.

also.. our local range just went to a no slug policy on the rifle range. and shotguns are only ont he clay range. so the slug shooters are having to put up targets out on the clay field and have no bench rest. :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.