The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have pretty much decided I would like to shoot 155 SMK Palma Or 168 Berger VLD's

I have loaded both, and can not get the accuracy I want when seated to fit in my mag.

Rifle is a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .308 with a 26 inch barrel

Thinking of rechambering it with a 2011 PALMA reamer.

Here are some numbers for the nuts that under stand it.

168gr Berger VLD

Loaded to fit the mag
2.170 to the ogive
2.860 over all to the tip

Measured my chamber with hornady tools

2.350 to the ogive
3.041 over all to the tip

155 Palma #2156

Loaded to fit the mag
2.183 to the ogive
2.845 to the tip

Measured my chamber with hornady tools

2.403 to the ogive
3.062 over all to the tip

Here are the specs on the reamer.
forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3751116.0;attach=866923

Any thoughts or input?

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
So, what is the advantage that you're looking for? Being able to keep a close-to-land seating and still function through the magazine I assume.

The reamer you've got pictured is a standard .308 chamber cut except with a shorter leade and throat.
But going by the SAAMI drawing for the .308 compared to the one you linked I'm seeing that the leade only shortens up by roughly 0.04". But looking at your COAL measurements you need to shorten your loaded cartridges by about 0.18"-0.21" to gain mag function.

I'm just looking at numbers on paper though... It would be better to hear from someone that has done the rechamber before.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am using AI style mags, I loaded dummy rounds. and they do fit, then I measured the rounds.

I have also done a bit of work shooting those bullets loaded to fit in the mag, and they were shooting like 2 inches at 100 yards.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright guys, Went and shot some more today

207 yards
Wind 18-29 MPH
155gr PALMA
2.161 to the Ogive
2.823 to the tip
Varget powder used
CCI 200 Primer
Winchester brass

I guess with the huge fluctuation in wind I am focusing on the vertical spread...? Or is that the wrong way of thinking?

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
From looking at the groups, I guess I would work with that 46.5gr load some more on a calm day. 45.5gr looks worth further testing too. Both looks promising and either or both loads might be a "sweet spot" in your barrel's harmonic profile.

BUT...what data are you using?
In the Sierra manual, they list 44.8 as a max load for Varget and the 150-155gr bullets.
Hornady is similar with 44.9gr for a max, although I do see that the Hodgdon site has 47.0gr listed as a max.
I will say that I don't load for the .308 at the moment and my experience with the cartridge was long before Varget was on the market so I'm not familiar at all with what works and what doesn't with that combo.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 46.5 was on the low side of getting hot. lol primers just starting to flatten, but no sticky bolt, or ejector marks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts