Thirty years and a day...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ruffitt, Mar 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffitt

ruffitt Guest

shooter22
    (1/1/02 3:58:45 pm)
    | Edit | Del All Thirty years and a day...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ago, my life took a traumatic change. My brother and I were given several Christmas presents. His special present was a nice mini-bike, mine, was a Winchester .22. We had both had extensive instruction in gun safety in Colorado just months before. We both rode bicycles with reckless abandon. The morning started like any other country morning. Mom made a great breakfast, and we were off to play with our gifts. We both knew that to get the best of both worlds, we would need to share our gifts. An exchange of gifts was the tone for the day. I was looking forward to riding the new motorized bike, and my older brother was just itching to go hunting on our 500 acres. He helped me get the mini-bike started, and off I went, I was riding about ten minutes around our teardrop shaped driveway. I had noticed Bruce out west about 200 yards walking away from me. I am making another pass around the drive, along the hedge bush. Suddenly without any notice, I lost my balance, and crashed headlong into the hedge bush. Man, I crashed hard. Mom, saw me hit the hedge and came running. She called for Bruce to come help. As far as anybody had known, I had just crashed into the hedge. I was bleeding from several small scratches. When they pulled me from the hedge, they noticed the blood on my back, a part that did not hit the hedge. I told them I felt funny and could not move my legs. Mom said that it looked like a bullet hole. Bruce said that the gun discharged as he put it over his shoulder. I remember seeing him walking straight away from me at 200 yards on my last pass around the drive. At that moment my life changed in many ways. The sheriff investigated the accident and found where the bullet had ricocheted off a tree by the garage in the middle of the Driveway. It hit me while I was riding the mini-bike, and severed my spine. They said the odds of it happening were astronomical. The gun was found to discharge when turned upside down, like putting it over the shoulder. We never thought of filing suit against the manufacturer. My parents were just interested in getting me back to as normal as possible. I've been 30 years and a day in this quest. I'll never be the same, but of course, I was always a goofy kid to begin with.

My story is not made to make you feel sorry for me, but enlighten people to the absolute need for gun safety. I know that my brother would never put me in harm by pointing a gun in my direction, and in this case he did not, the bullet change course by many degrees when it hit the tree.

Please, regardless how safe you think you are, go back and read the ten commandments of gun safety. They run a close second to the First set Of Ten Commandments.

SAFETY FIRST

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (1/1/02 4:27:39 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: Thirty years and a day...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks for sharing your story.

LIKTOSHOOT
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (1/1/02 4:45:12 pm)
    Shooter22, not a day goes past...that I do not think of you and remember the first time you told this story, some time back. I had a Uncle on my Mothers side of the family, who suffered a simular accident. He and another friend were cleaning a .22 rifle on a table, both seated. When the rifle was laid down.....it discharged, striking him in the navel and passing through and lodging in his spine. At the time, he felt nothing and they were just scared the gun had gone off in the house, when he tried to get up from the chair....he fell. Then they knew. He has since passed some 20 years back. Today, he could have been saved.....but back then the technology was not up to speed on accidents of the spine. Most say he died from the hate at an early age, brought on by this accident.....alcohol also played a part, but only after the accident did he sink into a stupor. Your words are old, but wise. But never forget the thing that you have overcome, that he never could. The ability to see, life is still alive....just changed. You are a true example of a strong person. I share this with you, because you shared with me. LTS

280freak
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/1/02 5:10:35 pm)
    I knew that you were paralysed, but had never heard the circumstances that led to it. Moving story, sure to make people stop and think, thanks for sharing it.

Grunt
    (1/1/02 6:54:47 pm)
    Shooter22

Thanks for sharing the story with us. I printed it out and will have all my grandchildren that are old enough to read do so.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (1/1/02 7:02:35 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Thirty years and a day...
    Thanks S22!
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

TallTLynn
    (1/1/02 7:30:56 pm)
    shooter22 - you are an inspiration for all of us. I've never met a more caring person than yourself and your family.

You definitely are someone that people can and do look up to.

Thank you for sharing your story once again.
    TLynn

Bob In St Louis
    (1/1/02 9:30:07 pm)
    Shooter22 - You are one of the few people in my Son's sphere of knowledge that he has a great respect for. When he heard at the barbeque the story of how you ended up in a wheelchair, but yet your continued love and respect of the firearms and hunting sports, he saw a stamina and will power that overcomes tragedy and presses on to make the best of life. I want to thank you for being such a good influence on Tony - and impressing on him the importance of firearms safety. This fall we went through Hunter Safety Education class together, and he was riveted to the course material. Tony can't wait until we can get together again and do some shooting.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

warpig883
    (1/1/02 9:40:50 pm)
    Shooter22, I am so happy that you handle this so well. It could have been much worse for you and your family.

It is 2 years to the this week that my good friend who happened to be my brother in law had a .243 discharge into his chest. It was a simple accident that could have been avoided by following the 10 commandments of firearms safety.
    We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans... -- Bill Clinton, US President (USA Today, 11 Mar 1993, page 2a)

17th FA Bn
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/2/02 9:01:23 am)
    Shooter .22 you are a tremendously healthy, and strong person mentally. Many people have never gotten over far less devastating injuries that you seem to be handling very well. God bless you.

Zigzag2
    (1/2/02 9:14:45 am)
    I look forward to meeting and shaking your hand Shooter
    You are an inspriration to me and the shooting sport.

ysacres
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/2/02 10:53:24 am)
    Shootem22
    I'm with Grunt, Altho I don't have Grandchildren yet, my son and his hunting buddies need to read your story for a firearms safty refresher course. So I to will print and save.

Thanks
    ysacres

LOCK & LOAD-ROCK & ROLL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.