The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Fire was my first thought, but I think it's been in a boating accident. That's a shame, they were eye candy new. That's a candidate for the bead blaster and Cerecoat. I can't tell from the pics, but the pitting on the receiver could maybe be sanded out, the engraving would have to go with it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Story I received was that this belonged to someone who was a doomsday prepper. He passed away and this came from his collection. That's all I know. Also bit to add, there are no moving parts. Everything is locked up

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Not to sure about resurrecting it do the tolerance for the breach block and its fit in the receiver. Once all the heavy rust scale is removed, the tolerances would create a to long a head space. Rebarreling it would eliminate the head space problem, but again I would be concerned about the breach block/receiver tolerance.

The next concern would be all the trigger linkages.

It truly is a crying shame to see a Ruger #1 in that horrible condition. One of my all time favorite firearms.

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
Story I received was that this belonged to someone who was a doomsday prepper. He passed away and this came from his collection. That's all I know. Also bit to add, there are no moving parts. Everything is locked up
As a prepper he didn’t do so well for that No.1. It experienced a doomsday.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not to sure about resurrecting it do the tolerance for the breach block and its fit in the receiver. Once all the heavy rust scale is removed, the tolerances would create a to long a head space. Rebarreling it would eliminate the head space problem, but again I would be concerned about the breach block/receiver tolerance.

The next concern would be all the trigger linkages.

It truly is a crying shame to see a Ruger #1 in that horrible condition. One of my all time favorite firearms.
I think I'll definitely clean it up and go from there. It looks like it was once a very good looking rifle, I hope I can do it justice.

·
Registered
7,679 Posts
I've never used Kroil - but I have used Liquid Wrench. If it were mine - I'd giver it a month long soak in either one and free up the parts. Let it soak and don't bother it. Once freed up, strip it down and see what you have. Parts are available to rebuild it. Some of the parts are badly pitted and could be replaced. You'll be very lucky if the barrel isn't rusted out, but even if it is - replace it and build it back up. Could end up being a fun shooter. (BTW - the springs may be toast, but those are also available). Pick up a good walnut stock and you're in there.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've never used Kroil - but I have used Liquid Wrench. If it were mine - I'd giver it a month long soak in either one and free up the parts. Let it soak and don't bother it. Once freed up, strip it down and see what you have. Parts are available to rebuild it. Some of the parts are badly pitted and could be replaced. You'll be very lucky if the barrel isn't rusted out, but even if it is - replace it and build it back up. Could end up being a fun shooter. (BTW - the springs may be toast, but those are also available). Pick up a good walnut stock and you're in there.
any idea on where to get the parts?

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Only thing I've dealt with that looked maybe as bad as that was only a single shot shotgun and it mostly was rust. Only tried it since a nephew gave it to me, he bought it at a auction with help of his father and was proud of his purchase of the gift.
I first used brake cleaner, WD40 and soaked in gun oil before prepping and bluing. It never was shot afterwards, everything moved well and if didn't look close it looked OK but worried not safe to shoot.

·
Registered
17,130 Posts
Personally, I would put it in a box and ship it to Southport Connecticut. "To whom it may concern here at Ruger. Can this be saved?"

·
Registered
7,679 Posts
If the springs are toast it's probably been in a fire and the steel has lost it's heat treatment.
I don't know it it's been in a fire or not. If it were in a fire, could the receiver be re-heat treated? Or - if it were in a fire and the heat treating is questionable - would it be possible to rebarrel to a low-pressure round like the 7mm Mauser? I don't know - just asking for opinions..

·
Registered
9,829 Posts
I don't know it it's been in a fire or not. If it were in a fire, could the receiver be re-heat treated? Or - if it were in a fire and the heat treating is questionable - would it be possible to rebarrel to a low-pressure round like the 7mm Mauser? I don't know - just asking for opinions..
It could be re heat treated, if you knew what alloy is used in the steel and the proper recipe for the heat treatment. The question is, is it worth the cost and effort to rebuild it? By the time you replace all the damaged parts and buy new wood, pay to have it rebarreled If the bore is as rusty on the inside as it is on the outside and pay to have it polished and blued you could probably buy a complete rifle and have money left over for re loading dies and components.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
since my last post, I got it all taken apart except for the barrel from the reciever. plenty of WD, persuasion and a busted roll pin or two. Springs look fine...still...springy.... Some very deep pitting on the barrel but otherwise I think the bore is okay. My Mosin looked worse.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts