This forum ........ ( 1 2 3 )

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ruffitt, Feb 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

KimberRuger
    (7/11/01 7:18:48 pm)
    | Edit | Del All This forum ........
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OK, tough choice at first ......but I couldn't figure how to make the "thumbs-up" thingy in the body of my post, and I could find the smileys (emoticons)..... so here goes........

From the couple of dozen posts I've read, seems to me most are pretty ........ which of course makes me very ! (couldn't find the exclamation command either)

I got a warm welcome, and someone actually made the mistake of thinking I knew what the heck I was talking about (LOL).

I guess the best way to describe it is "this boards got pers'nality" (I read all about cooking steaks, saw a picture of commandant Rosie etc.) If it's as new as I think it is, it wil be huge in no time. Our side needs this - someplace to be serious and light hearted (headed?) at the same time.

Now, if I may be so bold as to ask a couple of questions ......

First, if you were looking to add to you "collection", and you already had a Mark II (bull barrel), .22 American Heritage SA revolver (ok, it's not mine, it's my wife's, but she lets me shoot it if I'm good), a .32 KelTec (pocket/waistband), .32 Beretta TomCat (OK, lay off already, that one's hers too, gawrsh !), a crappy Jennings .380 (hey, we're all entitled to one mistake, right ?), a Kimber Compact .45 Stainless/Stainless and a Ruger SRH .44 mag. - what would you get next ? (Glock freaks need not apply simply because "Glock is the best").

Here's kinda what I'm considering:

Taurus .357 (or maybe a Rossi if I can find one)

Glock 23 (?) in .40 or maybe a

Taurus .454 Casull or even a

.480 Ruger (just for the heck of it)

I can't see the point (nor do I have the $$$$) for a "Godzilla Killa" DE (Desert Eagle) in any cal.

Any suggestions welcome.

ps: You Glockers, please don't punch the monitor for the comment above, it could hurt your hand, I'm new, and I was only kiddin'

Patrick

Have a TWODERFUL day ("twoderful" = twice as good as wonderful)

NeoDebo
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/11/01 8:09:04 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: This forum ........
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You might consider buying old-model S&W's (pinned barrels and recessed cylinders) instead of the Taurus. Quality is MUCH better on the old S&W stuff.

Personally, in particular with the heavy calibers that you mentioned, I'd stay away from the Taurus.

Alphamale
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (7/11/01 8:36:12 pm)
    Get the Glock 23. Why? CAUSE GLOCK IS THE BEST

"Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food, and tyranize their teachers."--Socrates (470-399 B.C.)

Bob In St Louis
    (7/11/01 8:41:13 pm)
    Astra Model 400. Star Model A Super. Destroyer carbine.

9mm Largo Rules!

Spanish military pistols in 9mm Largo are great!

Welcome to the board. If you haven't guessed, I am one of the Curio & Relics freaks.
    Support the Dead Party, vote Harry S. Truman for Missouri Senate in 2002!

LIKTOSHOOT
    (7/11/01 9:12:03 pm)
    .....fooled another one. heheheh
    "POOFBANNED" Huh?

Chief 101
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/11/01 9:20:16 pm)
    All of your choices sound good to me, save one......

The limitless number of rossi's i'v had my hands on(ok, two) hand the same problem. After two or three cylinders had been fired the bullets would start keyholeing the target. Cleaning it would take care of the problem, but it was still a pain.........

Steve

TallTLynn
    (7/11/01 10:03:23 pm)
    I'm one of the resident Beretta fans - so I'm drooling over the .32 Beretta. All I got is an old .22 and my 92F (which I love).

Then again I'm also into all the really old military rifles - so I'm the last one to advise you except for the fact that I think Glocks are ugly, awkward and a pain.

However .454 Casulls(sp) are really fun (but extremely expensive) to shoot - love the way they go "BANG". That and they are extremely accurate - hell I even hit the target with one (and it didn't have the recoil I thought it would either).

KimberRuger
    (7/11/01 10:23:34 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: This forum ........Alpha ?
    "Glock is the best"

The best what ?

Ya gotta remember now, your talking to a Kimber man here ........

Patrick

SXSMAN
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/11/01 10:41:26 pm)
    H&K USP Tactical 45.

Glock the best?

I think not!

Nuff said.

kdubaz
    (7/11/01 10:42:55 pm)
    Glocks are best used in the capacity of boat anchors or hammers for carpentry work.
    Keep below the ridgeline!

Alphamale
    (7/11/01 11:21:56 pm)
    I know I'm talking to a Kimber man, that's why I said Glock. You need to get a real gun

All you 1911 people, yall are too funny. Talking about the Glock being a boat anchor and then carry something like that

As an aside: saw a HK USP .40 with 1 13(12?) rd mag and maybe another (not sure, didn't look at it long) for $579.
    "Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food, and tyranize their teachers."--Socrates (470-399 B.C.)

Edited by: Alphamale at: 7/12/01 12:25:26 am

shooter22
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/11/01 11:30:30 pm)
    AH, Alphamale, You surely must be misinformed bout the 1911. Dang, 1911, they been round that long? You know that when they run out of plastic making grocery sacks, all Glocks will be made of metal and based on the 1911 body style. Straight edges are easier to machine.

Oh and guys are wrong about glocks as anchors, they float don't they?

1911 rules!

Next!

SHOOTER22

Edited by: shooter22 at: 7/12/01 12:34:42 am

reedbuster
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/11/01 11:31:17 pm)
    Welcome KimberRuger, looks like your going to fit in 'round these parts. You should check out a Baby Eagle, still affordable and accurate.
    Is that a pickle in your pocket? .....

polishshooter
    (7/12/01 1:16:38 am)
    The last plastic gun I liked was green and shot water. Yeah, they float..."Paper or plastic, Ma'am?"
    Oh yeah, the AR-7 was a good gun if you tipped the canoe, too.

STAY away from the .38-40 Blackpowder equivalent round, the .40S&W, get a "newer" cartridge, the .45 ACP.

Actually, you need a Mosin Nagant M44 and a East German Makarov...since you already got a Kimber, those are all you need for REAL guns...
    Patina is an acquired taste.

1 dano
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/12/01 2:19:05 am)
    You aren't complete until you have a full-size Beretta in your collection. The more Beretta's.....the better! Ain't that right TLynn?

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (7/12/01 7:06:00 am)
    You only have one .45 ? You need at least one Gov't model.

Different name
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/12/01 7:41:35 am)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: This forum ........Alpha ?
    Would it be proper about now to take a close look at the compact Witness? They walk the talk...
    Charlie D

TallTLynn
    (7/12/01 7:49:35 am)
    That is soooooooo true dano - one has to have at least one full size Beretta - some day I'll have one too!

KimberRuger
    (7/12/01 8:05:59 am)
    Compact "Witness" ?

(Searching the scrambled brain cells now ..... nothing coming up)

That sounds vaguely familiar - who/what/how big ?

Oh yeah, the one other thought I had was a P-12,13, or 14 LDA .... anybody have thoughts on that ?

Patrick

HerbyJr
    (7/12/01 8:48:47 am)
    Here's my Glock story guys.

I never liked them and never wanted one. I didn't want a plastic gun, the trigger/safety did not make sense to me and it actually scared me a little, lastly, I always prefer a gun with a hammer. Then one day I was shooting (for some food hehe)with a LEO friend of mine and he was firing a modified Glock 17. When trying it out, I fell in love. A few days later she was mine. This little Glock is the smoothest firing gun I've ever fired. I picked up a couple of pre ban 17 round clips, and it makes a good CCW piece.

I also like the Kimbers...I don't want to fire one though, because I can't afford another gun right now.

H.

KimberRuger
    (7/12/01 8:57:39 am)
    | Edit | Del Re: This forum ........?
    Anyone ever notice how good macaroni and cheese tastes when you're looking at the latest addition to your collection ?

44rugerfan
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/12/01 12:45:03 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: This forum ........?
    I feel obligated to point out the huge gaping hole in your budding gun collection. You need a nice single-action revolver. I mean how are you supposed to play cowboy with a glock? You can get a nice 357 blackhawk for about $350. Then go to the range and repeat after me: Ka-POW! KaPOW! KaPOW! KaPOW! "My mistake, four coffins."
    "You gonna pull them pistols or whistle dixie?" KaPOW! KaPOW!
    "That's pretty big talk for a one-eyed fat man."
    "Fill your hands you son of a B*tch!"
    KaPOW! KaPOW!
    KaPOW! "If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    He he he...
    The Trademark Of Reliability

Mesen
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/12/01 11:01:05 pm)
    BOX OF MACARONI & CHEESE (ALDI'S) ........$0.59

CAN CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP(ALDI'S).............$0.39

CAN GENERIC TUNA(ALDI'S).......................$0.59

STARING AT NEWEST ADDITION IN COLLECTION WHILE TRYING TO EAT:

PRICELESS!
    IF YOU VALUE YOUR FREEDOM, THANK A VET!

Edited by: Mesen at: 7/13/01 12:02:39 am

Different name
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/13/01 4:03:37 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: This forum ........?
    TYlnn
    How would I go about finding and purchasing a "Baretta "87 Target" Pistol?
    Appreciate any advise you might have. Thanx.
    Charlie D
    ----------------------
    SHOOTING, like Measles,
    Should be caught Young.

1 dano
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/13/01 4:41:02 pm)
    TLynn, I thought at one time, you had mentioned that you got a full-sized Beretta from you dad.

polishshooter
    (7/13/01 5:01:22 pm)
    I dunno, you could always get your glock in .40 and pretend you are a "poor" cowboy that couldn't afford a "real" gun in .44-40 or .45LC...

SGN did the comparison, and the .40 S&W is ballistically IDENTICAL to the .38-40 Blackpowder round from the 1870s...and just about NOBODY bought a Peacemaker in that caliber if they could afford a "real" one...

I really just like to dump on those Glock shooters who are in "love" with it because it's their first handgun, and have nothing to compare it with, including HISTORY.

I'd probably own one before I bought a Beretta though...
    Patina is an acquired taste.

1 dano
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/13/01 6:36:44 pm)
    "Some people" wouldn't know a great gun if it jumped out of their hands and bit them on their nose!

"Others" know a great gun when they see one, and buy several of them, in differents models and calibers.

TallTLynn
    (7/13/01 7:04:55 pm)
    I got a 92F 9mm from my dad dano - but is that considered a full size gun???

kdubaz
    (7/13/01 7:05:31 pm)
    Ouuh, Ouch, Ouch!!!
    Keep below the ridgeline!

TallTLynn
    (7/13/01 7:11:16 pm)
    Different - have you checked the Beretta site? That would be the place to start and from there probably your dealer. All my Beretta's have been bought from individuals (good thing my dad didn't have an idea of what his Beretta cost these days).

I'd also check the pawn shops in your area - though I've never personally seen the type you are looking for.

AntiqueDr
    (7/13/01 7:12:31 pm)
    OOOOHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....you want full size? Wait a minute, while I whip this out....

T, THAT's full size.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

AntiqueDr
    (7/13/01 7:16:38 pm)
    Charlie,

Beretta 87 Target @ $549.95.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

MO JENKINS
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/13/01 8:10:51 pm)
    | Edit | Del Combloc Anyone???
    Welcome KimberRuger,
    How about a couple of Makarovs or a couple of Tokarevs depending on your needs? Tokarev ammo is starting to show up in alot of new manufactures and any minute now someone is going to put out a nice round softpoint with lots of exposed lead in the nose. I dare anyone to take two rounds in the chest, go ahead put your vest on !!!Could be sweet stacked in the mag Ball/Softpoint!You could still probably find some of that old western scrounger soft point if you really dug around. Very inexpensive guns, very reliable and although some people might disagree, a person could get hurt on the wrong end of one! Anyway, they're cheap now and well worth the money.
    Or you could buy a Glock, they're sweet shooters, if only they would stop making them out of recycled 2 liter bottles!
    AHH, don't listen to me, I'm crazy anyway.
    MO JENKINS

TallTLynn
    (7/13/01 8:15:36 pm)
    AntiqueDr - I think I just fell in love with a gun (drooling here).

1 dano
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/14/01 12:08:23 am)
    Yes TLynn, your Beretta 92F is a full-sized gun. And....don't let anyone tell you any different.

TallTLynn
    (7/14/01 12:13:17 am)
    Then I finally have arrived - I now own something that is full size (yippee!!!!!!!!!!!!!).....

AGunguy
    (7/14/01 7:55:23 am)
    Man, I can see a really good punch line here...but better not, I'd get punched out for sure.

Gunguy

TallTLynn
    (7/14/01 7:59:53 am)
    Nah we're not that mean AGunGuy.

(giggle)

AGunguy
    (7/14/01 8:08:10 am)
    TLynn, check your talltlynn email, email for you.

Can anyone there at firearms forum, tell me how the private message system here works???

I sent a message only to have it not arrive.

Gugnuy

TallTLynn
    (7/14/01 8:39:44 am)
    AGunguy - I got your private message but you obviously did not get the 2 emails I sent you in return. Check your mail as I replied from the old e-mail address you had for me. I got your e-mail this morning from there.

KimberRuger
    (7/14/01 2:22:36 pm)
    And I thought the suggestions I would receive would make the next choice easier -silly me !

While to me, the Glock has some outstanding properties that no ohter manufacturer can claim (namely, helping reduce the amount of trash in landfills), I just can't seem to get to like the feel of the thing in my hand.

Tak's andMak's ...... just doesn't seem to fit the plan, but thanks for the suggestion, maybe somewhere down the line.

A Beretta might be an idea, but I already got a baby one of them .... maybe if I water it ?

So far, I like the idea of a single six .45 LC .... hmmmm, I do like the quality of my SRH .... maybe one of those there Vaquero things might go well with the rest ....... and I could buy one of them cool holsters like Randolf Scott and the Duke used to have ........ hmmmm ........

Thanks everyone !

(and just so ya know, a Glock isn't completely out of the picture, it'll just have to wait it's turn)

Patrick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.