This is different ( 1 2 )

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ruffitt, Mar 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (11/8/01 8:12:09 pm)
    | Edit | Del All This is different
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This is different

by Robert A. Waters
    Author, The Best Defense: True Stories of Intended Victims Who Defended Themselves

November 6, 2001

It was exactly one month after September 11 when I saw my co-worker Jennifer down at the local gun shop.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"What does it look like?" she responded, sighting a 9mm.

Mike, the owner of the shop, had hired a couple extra staff. They were all busy showing guns to customers. I'd never seen the shop so crowded.

"So," I said to Jennifer, "didn't you tell me a few weeks ago how much you hate guns?"

By now, she was holding a .44-caliber Bulldog. It was much too big for her slender hands. "Lookit," she said, "What d'ya think?"

"Too heavy," I said.

"You always were a male chauvenist pig!"

I shrugged.

"I know how this looks," she said. "Like I'm a hypocrite or something. But when it comes to your family, you'll do whatever it takes."

"Yeah, sure."

She hesitated. "My husband works at the nuclear power plant," she said. "They're on Red Alert because the Feds think terrorists might fly an airplane into it. If that happens, think of the consequences. Could turn out to be a localized Alas Babylon scenario."

I remembered reading the book when I was a kid. A nuclear attack had wiped out the government and survivors banded together to fight against rogue anarchists.

"You gonna gun down a terrorist?" I asked.

"Of course not. But regardless of what happens, there'll be survivors. If we live, we'll need protection from, uh, looters, robbers, you know..."

"That sure doesn't sound like the Jennifer I know."

She smiled. "I think that gun's too heavy," she told the clerk. "Gimme something lighter."

She turned to me. "I lost my college room-mate in the Twin Towers," she said. "That'll cause you to stop and think."

"I'm sorry."

She brushed her hair away from her eyes. The clerk handed her a Taurus .38 Special hammerless revolver. "This is perfect for concealed carry," he said. "And it's light--made outta titanium."

As she held it, she asked me, "What d'ya think?"

I nodded. Looked like a perfect fit to me.

"What are you here for?" she asked.

"Ammunition," I said. "I'm going to the range later."

"I'd like to shoot Bin Laden right between the eyes," she said.

"Wait a minute! I thought you went down to the prison to protest Ted Bundy's execution a few years back. How can you be in favor of executing Bin Laden?"

"This is different."

She edged closer to me. "Did you see those people jumping out of windows?" she whispered, as if divulging a secret. "We're talking eighty stories up. That's the most frightening thing I ever saw. God only knows what they were thinking during that freefall..."

I could have sworn she'd told me she was an atheist. But I decided not to touch that landmine. By now she was dry-firing the Taurus.

The clerk said, "Your clearance just came through."

"Good. I'll take this one."

"You gonna get some training before you take it home, aren't you?" I asked.

She smiled. "I can handle a gun," she said. "Used to shoot with my dad when I was a kid."

You learn something new every day, I thought. "Why'd you turn against them?"

"College," she said, as she fumbled through her purse for a credit card. She didn't expand, as if that said it all. And it did.

"I blame all this on Clinton," she said.

I distinctly remembered seeing her wearing a "Clinton/Gore" button to the office.

"How d'ya figure?"

"He was too busy with his plaything Monica to worry about Bin Laden. Should have kept his mind on business."

"So character really does count?" I asked.

She made a face and I remembered Bill Buckley's quip about a conservative being a liberal who just got mugged. Since 9-11, seemed like lotsa liberals were re-examining their beliefs.

I bought my ammo and we walked out of the shop together.

"Wanna meet me at the range?" I asked.

"Sure. What time?"

"How bout noon?"

She nodded.

"It sure feels different to be carrying," she said.

I'd been carrying for so long that my gun felt like it was part of me. But I knew what she meant.

I watched her walk toward her van.

On the way home, I decided to stop by the library and pick up a copy of Alas Babylon. Might even run down to the video store and rent a copy of "Red Dawn", too.

I hadn't really given a lot of thought to terrorists striking a small Florida town. New York and Washington, D. C. seemed so far away. But maybe she was right. I had to admit, after talking with her, it might be wise to prepare for, well, anarchy.

She was right about something else. Things are different.

Robert Waters is the author of The Best Defense: True Stories of Intended Victims Who Defended Themselves, and the Co-Founder of Operation Self Defense. For other article by Mr. Waters, you can visit his archives at www.KeepAndBearArms.com/Waters.

zombiedawg
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/8/01 8:23:22 pm)
    | Edit | Del interesting
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am sure there are alot of people out there that feel the same way. Too bad no one has had the nads to tell Clinton publicly that this was his fault.

gpostal
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (11/8/01 8:36:39 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: interesting
    how in the he!! does it link to Clinton ,ben-laden goes back much further than Clinton ,does that mean we should blame Reagan ,bush sr. ,because they didn't see it either ,as far as that goes we can blame pres bush now he has had 9 months to stop it ,if in fact we must blame somebody besides bin-laden ,that's crazy

we really can't blame any of the above ,besides trash bin

TallTLynn
    (11/8/01 8:42:32 pm)
    gpostal - you definitely have hit the nail on the head with those remarks.

But it is the nature of most Americans (or human beings for that matter) to always put the blame on someone else. I guess the saying "The Buck Stops Here" is so untrue as to be pathetic anymore.

LIKTOSHOOT
    (11/8/01 8:43:58 pm)
    The sad part of that story is the "finger in the wind", because as soon as it`s over....these very same people will come back to haunt us..............

I won`t forget them...
    America, we are the symbol of Freedom and Liberty......

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (11/8/01 9:02:25 pm)
    LTS..I fear that you are right and I'll be standing right beside you!!!! I won`t forget them either...

Why is simplification a longer word than complexity?

zombiedawg
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/8/01 9:08:24 pm)
    | Edit | Del Clinton
    Considering how many incidents that took place during his 8 years, I don't see how anyone could overlook his negligence in not solving this when there was better info on where BL was.
    They murdered 18 soldiers in the streets of Mogadishu and we turned tail and ran. They bomb 2 American Embassies and nothing happens except a couple of cruise missiles that happen to have coincided with Monica's testimony. And then the USS Cole. Why the hell was this boat allowed to get this close to an American warship in a hostile environment?Because the military was enduring cutbacks and from someone that did not give a rat's ass that he had people in harm's way and no power to defend themselves.
    Too many attacks and no action is what led to 9-11.
    He showed these terrorists that we were weak and they took advantage of it.
    Clinton was too busy getting his 'Jollies' to do anything.

Sure Bush had 9 months, but he would not have had any backing for this type of operation even 3 months ago. Be glad Clinton is not in office or there would be a different action being taken against these attacks. If anything that is.

gpostal
    (11/8/01 9:39:10 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: Clinton
    but since Clinton is not in office it is not a issue ,we can make hypothetical situations if Kennedy lived and so on

bin-laden has been in terrorism business since 1977 and has been responsible for many deaths before Clinton was press ,he has bombed many places and killed allot of people ,not to mention the things he has had done we don't know about ,the only thing different now is he screwed up and did it on American soil ,until now we {the American people} really didn't pay to much attention and didn't really care ,

if it would have happened during any other administration ,it would have been delt with in much the same way ,bush has the American people behind him and we would have stood behind any president in a case of such crisis

so really if we must blame anybody we must blame ourselves {the American people} ,we never made it a priority so why should Clinton have ,{I really don't remember hearing bush talk about it during his campaign}

terrorism is something we now have to deal with ,just like the rest of the world

gpostal
    (11/8/01 9:42:18 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: Clinton
    oh! and saying that the boat was alowed to get close to the uss cole is like saying why was those planes alowed to get so close to the wtc

hammer4nc
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/8/01 10:03:27 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: This is different
    Good post, flhunter...

Just got back from the range tonight, and was thinking to myself how much more crowded it's become these last two months.

Many more newbies, more women, renting guns for the first time. Tonight there was a group of brits shooting, obviously enjoying themselves (I wanted to ask them about gun control in England, but they left before I got the chance).

We have a real opportunity to welcome these new folks into the shooting sports, y'now, make it a positive experience all around. Not to say we can't cuss and discuss politics here on the old tff, but at this point I'd welcome a (former) Clinton/Gore supporter to the range, maybe make a long-term convert. Yeah, things ARE different.

gpostal
    (11/8/01 10:17:22 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: This is different
    sorry fl the original post got side tracked there it was good one

zombiedawg
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/9/01 12:01:35 am)
    | Edit | Del clinton supporters
    That's funny I don't remember the WTC having weaponry .
    AND
    I certainly don't take blame for putting that POS in office.

walrus1432
    (11/10/01 2:13:48 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: clinton supporters
    I don't know about that Postal. What did Ronnie do when the disco in Germany got bombed and we traced it to old Moammar?

And have we heard from him lately? Heck he's even trying to join the coalition now...

And what terrorism did we face under Bush the first?

But after "It's the economy, stupid" we saw more and more, and the ONLY response was a couple of blind Tomahawks thrown at the caves and an aspirin factory blown up in the Sudan, even after we PROVED it was him.

Then in Somalia he saw us having to have Green Berets BEG Pakistani armor in their Russian tanks to rescue the Rangers who were getting shot up because Clinton had refused to send even the M1s and Bradleys ASSIGNED to the support unit because he "didn't want to antagonize anybody" at the time he was planning to have our "elite" forces go after Aidid...
    and did NOTHING but run when the color photos naked bodies of US soldiers being dragged through the streets made the front pages of the US press and TV news...

Bin Laden saw us, ALL OF US, as weak and unable and unwilling to respond.

You CANNOT leave Clinton out of it when discussing the "Roots and Causes" of the WTC...that's a fact of history now...

"Peace in our time" ring a bell?

zombiedawg
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/10/01 7:33:03 pm)
    | Edit | Del well put
    Very well said Walrus.

LIKTOSHOOT
    (11/10/01 7:38:55 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: well put
    Walrus WELCOME! and X-Ring for your first post!

tuckerd1
    (11/10/01 8:44:49 pm)
    Wecome Walrus. But we got a couple of old walruses here already! Right Blackgun??!! he! he!

walrus1432
    (11/10/01 9:43:12 pm)
    Well, I have to be honest here...the post was not completely mine...You can thank Polishshooter, my dear ole dad (he didn't look to see what name he was under!)...
    BUT, I've been raised well and tend to agree with my dad on almost all subjects, like a good daughter would...

One thing can be said for sure...and simply put - the present cannot exist without the past! In the recent past America was under an administration that was somewhat incompetent in dealing with foreign affairs and now, our present administration is having to pay the price, in part at least because of the previous incompetency.

And although it may solely be hypothetical...
    Thank God the voting system held true and a capable canidate was lead into the position to effectively lead our country in this trying time!

TallTLynn
    (11/10/01 9:46:59 pm)
    walrus - that was cruel not logging out before your dad got on (lol).

LIKTOSHOOT
    (11/10/01 10:48:03 pm)
    Something smells fishy........well walrus-ry anyway.

AntiqueDr
    (11/10/01 10:51:30 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: well put
    koo-koo-ka-choo?

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

Tac401
    Administrator
    (11/11/01 12:21:18 am)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: well put
    Welcome Aboard walrus1432!
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

polishshooter
    (11/11/01 1:01:24 am)
    Oops. Sorry!

But I am SO proud...

And she voted in this past election for the first time, too!
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

gpostal
    (11/11/01 11:04:05 am)
    i thought i reconized a little DEJA MOO:heard this bull before

welcome walrus
    /
    )))
    \

polishshooter
    (11/11/01 12:04:03 pm)
    Hey, Miss, don't let old GP bother ya, he's our "Equal Opportunity" political abuser...Dan doesn't trust ANY politician...

He's a buddy, heck, I even have a LIBERAL DEMOCRAT as a friend on this board, believe it or not! Old Dad must be slipping...

HEY Dan, I think I screwed something up on my laptop, I transferred stuff from C to D Friday and now I can't get your sound to download....think it's related?

We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

gpostal
    (11/11/01 12:13:51 pm)
    this is a reeeaaally looong down load

your sound is in your windows file i doubt if you tranfered it ,anyway it wouldn't make a difference unless you deleted it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.