This Is What $85 Gets You In 9mm....

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by WillieB, Jul 31, 2020.

1. WillieB

WillieB Well-Known Member

This would be funny if it probably wasn’t true. :(

2. Ibmikey

Ibmikey Well-Known Member

CTD is probably the last business that I would buy from and I live close to them in Texas—-oops make that second to last, Dicks takes the top spot. I remember CTD’s response to the last shortage, rape the public with prices that bordered on scalping.

WillieB and rawright54 like this.

3. rawright54

rawright54 Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work Supporting Member

Exactly. The last time we had a hyperinflated ammo price crisis, CTD was the first to gouge us on pricing. They have no loyalty to their customers, nor the principles for which we stand. The only time I have ever done business with them was a time when only they had stock on hand for a rifle I really wanted.

WillieB likes this.
  4. WillieB

Even when there’s not a shortage, CTD is almost always priced higher than other websites for anything I’m looking for online. I always wondered how they called themselves “Cheaper Than Dirt” when they’re one of the most expensive sites out there.

rawright54 and BlackEagle like this.
  5. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

I still remember that $99.99 aluminum AR magazine on the back cover!!

6. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Just wait until the Soccer Mom's start scalping that ammo that they stripped the stores of. That "$80 brick of .22s" - they did that before not all that long ago. My SHTF stash is still well stocked, but I'm getting a tad thin on Unique powder and 115/124 9mm bullets... Got several thousand loaded in the 'stash, but they aren't for blasting.

Till the panic ends I'll just shoot .22s. Have plenty of it, several rifles and pistols in that caliber and a couple adapters for the ARs. It pays to buy ammo when there is no panic even when the wife thinks you are crazy for "It's on sale, it's the type I shoot - so I'll grab a few boxes". I just turn a deaf ear to "Don't you ALREADY have enough?".;)

Gudaki likes this.
  7. jonb32248

jonb32248 Well-Known Member

I called every local gun shop I could think of today and nobody has primers except for one that had small rifle primers. So I picked up some and will try them for 9mm. I looked around the internet and see others that have used them inplace without any trouble. The guy even behind the counter said he does use them. Also got 4064 and CFE pistol powder and 4 boxes of 9mm ammo.

8. rlb

rlb Well-Known Member

I was at our local hardware store that sells guns ammo and reloading supplies, $49.99 for 1000 primers but that is his regular price. He is always high on ammo and reloading supplies.
    I have lots of ammo for many calibers and also reload for most of the ones I have with lots of primers, bullets and powder. You might say price of ammo is not a big deal right now for me. Will still buy more if I see a good price.

9. PRR1957

PRR1957 Well-Known Member

Yeah ? Try to find components for to load 9mm. I found at Midway, Longshot @ $24.99 lb, and HS-6, @ $26.99 lb. Starline virgin cases 9mm+P for $83.50 per 500. No bullets (Hornady 147gr XTP) or primers yet.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  10. Ibmikey

I checked the supply of ammo and came away a bit distressed, have only a few thousand 9mm a cartridge shot most often, about 12,000 .223 and 30,000 22 LR, I have AR’s in all three calibers but will need to be a bit careful in how much 9 mm I burn. Checked The auctions and found one idiot paying $630 for a 1000 rd case of Federal FMJ, most others were going $30 to 50 bucks a box where did we loose our sanity?

Gudaki likes this.
  11. WillieB

About the time a bazillion people all decided at the same time they needed a new gun and ammo. The industry just wasn’t ready for such a large surge in sales and the resulting shortages gave vendors an excuse to start price gouging their customers.

zant, Gudaki, howlnmad and 2 others like this.
  12. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

I've narrowed it down to when people were more concerned stocking up on toilet paper days prior to food shortages. For the life of me I still cannot decipher that type of mentality....if you don't have food to eat you won't need toilet paper as you won't be pooping.

13. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Well-Known Member

I was at Sportsman’s 2 days ago and they had Federal 9mm for $11.99 a box limit 4.But I bought a pistol and my funds were all gone.But I did have enough left over for two 50 round boxes of 22lr.for $2.99 each.The 9mm and a few hundred boxes of 22 was all they had left except an oddball assortment of expensive 20 round boxes of rifle rounds.
    I think the big box stores aren’t gouging it’s the on-line sales and smaller gun stores.But you have to be there at the right time before it’s all gone in a few hours.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  14. Ibmikey

Gun show in Dallas on Sat. A case (1000) of 9mm FMJ $600 And $700. A case of .223, $650 do these guys think we are nuts? Who would pay $30 for a lousy box of 9mm? Everyone should have heeded the last famine and rebuilt their supply of ammo instead of trips to Mc Donald’s ( one can buy a lot of ammo for what it costs to feed a family of four at Mc D’S).

15. zant

zant Well-Known Member

Remember 90% of the people that have panic bought firearms in the past 3 months ARE'NT gun people or members of the gun culture-they have no idea what ammo normally cost or what it used to cost....I picked up a part today at lgs that had NO ammo-a 20something was bragging to the owner-he scored 2 cases of Tula 5.56 for 425.00 each-very proud....We both smiled and said "Cool".