This makes me a little hot under the collar

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by armedandsafe, Apr 9, 2009.

1. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Almost asbad as so-called zero tolerance.

http://www.kfdm.com/news/school_31004___article.html/mccarthy_paso.html
    Pops

2. artabr

artabr New Member

I'd almost enjoy spending the night in jail for backslaping that thoughtless sob principal.
    This Country is going to hell and people are scratching their heads wondering why. :rolleyes: :mad: :(

Art

3. Vladimir

Vladimir Active Member

I agree with the principle that he can't make an exception (what I disagree with is the culture that FORCES him into that position).

And I further disagree with any efforts at STOPPING the rule change to allow military uniforms.

4. topper

topper New Member

if it were me, i would wear my uniform anyway and just dare them to refuse to allow me to do so. maybe a few well placed smacks upside the head of that mindless boob of a principal would be in order. it would be worth it to me, but then again, i'm not one to take any sh*t .:mad:

5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I agree with the principal. The school rules, and the school tradition, require graduates to wear the cap and gown. And, if I was the principal, and the kid showed up in uniform anyway, and "dared me to stop him", I'd have his butt kicked to the curb. Joining the Corps does not make you above the rules. AWOL was defined as not being in the correct place at the correct time IN THE CORRECT UNIFORM. Uniform for graduation is cap and gown. You suppose the kid would want to report to his first duty station wearing a suit and tie? It's the exact same thing.

6. 4EvrLearning

4EvrLearning New Member

Alpo....your response is very well taken here. I'm an Army mom x 3, and as proud as I am of my children and their service, I am a firm believer in protocol in all arenas.

This graduation ceremony is NOT about this young man's enlistment, as wonderful as that is. He would become the center of attention on a day where EVERY parent has a right to be proud of their child's accomplishments, and by making himself stand out, he would take away from the unity and camaraderie that should ideally exist on such a day.

As my parents used to say, "There's a time and place for everything."

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  7. olmossbak

olmossbak New Member

I must agree with Alpo and 4Evr here even though I am a bit confused. How is a 18 yr old simultaneously being an active Marine and graduating from HS? Anyway, wear the uni to the event and then don the cap and gown prior to being seated with the rest of the class.

I also suggest that he quick gain more respect for regs if he expects to be successful in the corps.

8. 4EvrLearning

4EvrLearning New Member

olmossbak: I don't think I've seen any of your posts before, although you have nearly 50 so far!

Welcome to the forum :)

9. Vladimir

Vladimir Active Member

You can enlist at 17 with parental signature. He may have been to boot camp in the summer, or he may be on his way once school is done with.

10. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

He completed requirements for graduation in December then joined USMC.

I agree tho that he should respect protocol and wear cap and gown so as to not be the center of attention on a day when all should be honored

11. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

He finished school in December, but I suppose he wants to "walk across the stage" with the rest of his class, in June. So if he got out of school, and enlisted quickly, he should certainly be done with Boot Camp. Probably requested leave, so he could go home to attend the graduation ceremony.

I thought about "wear the uniform under the gown", but is that legal? Do Marine regulations allow you to put non-uniform clothing over your uniform?

Also, there is the "Look At Me" thing, when he takes the gown off (especially if wearing blues). As 4EvrLearning said, "...and by making himself stand out, he would take away from the unity and camaraderie that should ideally exist on such a day".

12. Haligan

Haligan Well-Known Member

I'd have to come down on the principals side as well. I don't want to but it could open up a can of worms.
    I belong to this, I want to wear this.
    ect, ect, ect.
    While I salute this young mans desire to serve our country in one of the most honorable ways, tradition for graduation from high school is what it is.
    If you can point to some other examples where this was waved then I would consider that.

13. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

Wear the cap and gown to the graduation and the uniform at the prom.

14. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

I think what the kids and their parents should do is demand the deplomas they earned before the ceremony date and take them and have their own graduation ceremony. Tell the Principal he can shove it.... Leave the school holding the ball with an empty ceremony room!
    Many kids have gone this route with their proms because of fascist school rules so why not the graduation ceremony? They don't need a jerk principal to hand them the diplomas... that is not a requirement of graduation. Make him hand over the diplomas in several cardboard boxes in mass!

mike
    gn