This may be controversial to some, but...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ilovenxstage, May 2, 2009.

1. ilovenxstage

ilovenxstage New Member

Every time I go into a public place (store, restaurant, bank, etc.) it has reached the point where I am almost surprised when I hear someone speaking English. I have absolutely no problem with immigrants (I'm Canadian), but as we know, the official language of this country is English. What gets me more is when I see little kids being taught Spanish, but not one word of English. It sometimes makes me feel like they are taking our language away from us. I do realize that it takes time and effort to learn a new language, but sometimes it seems like people are not even trying. If I've offended anyone here who's first language is not English, I apologize. I just needed to vent a little.

2. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

I was on a tour bus that stopped at a welcome center outside NYC. Tried to order coffee. Never did get it. Even tried showing a picture. Looks like a welcome center would have someone there who speaks the language of the country

3. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

What doesn't help is every big store, Lowe's etc, have signs up in English and spanish and it flat p****s me off. Why encourage illegals by putting up signs for them. I was stationed in a lot of different countries when I was in the military and they didn't put up signs for us Americans in our language and I didn't expect them to. This push "1" for English makes me hang up the phone when I call a company that I want buy something from. I won't do business with them.

4. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member

I'm with you on your "vent".

5. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Well, actually we don't have an 'official language'. That's a subject of great debate but English is just the most common language. With that said, I do agree that immigrants should make the strides to learn English.

6. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Perhaps not legislatively declared, but it is the language in which our government conducts business.

What gets me is that young children around the world are encouraged to learn English so that they can have a better life--except for a portion of young children here in the US.

7. tireman7.62x54r

tireman7.62x54r Member

The number one thing that ticks me off is when you hear about voting ballots being printed in different languages. I thought you were supposed to read, right, and speak English before you could be a citizen and vote.

8. pawn

pawn Active Member

I take everyone's point in this thread.

I'm 3rd generation Hungarian; my grandmother and mother are fluent- I barely know a word. I grew up with lots of Mexicans and Laotions in SW Minnesota. IMHO, 1st generation holds tight to the "mother tounge", 2nd generation does not and 3rd generation barely comprehends the primary language of their grandparents (me).

Unless we are talking about "Little Italy", "El Bario" or "Chinatown" in major meto areas where these poplulations can function autonomusly.. guess what??? English wins within a generation or so....

Feel better?

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  9. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Are you sure?... The last I understood, the government must conduct their business in something similar to Klingon because the literal English interpretation of their stated intentions generally does not correspond favorably with their literal actions... :p;)

10. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

Liberal words, phrases, and ideas don't really translate well into Klingon:p

11. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

How would you feel?

Your daughter is just about old enough for kindergarten.
    You go to enroll her for next year.
    You are told that you CAN NOT enroll her, BECAUSE she does NOT speak mexican. Kindergarten is before the "required" age of schooling, and as such, there is no legal recourse.

This happened to someone I know that lived in Longmont. A town just a few miles north of Denver. He moved into the area that I live in because of this. His daughter was enrolled here, with NO PROBLEM.

Colorado is one of the states that now has a population of MORE THAN 50% mexican.

12. artabr

artabr New Member

I've heard of this happening in other places as well. :( :mad:

Art

13. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

My wife is Korean and she had to learn to speak, read, and write English before she could become a US citizen. I bet the new citizens will be allowed take the test in their own "home country" language. That kinda ticks me off just a little.

14. pawn

pawn Active Member

I understand what you are saying pickenup. That would be frustrating to put it nicely. I take your point.

At the same time and in my opinion, language in Colorado will not be an issue in 2 generations-- the mexican's children's children will be "full time" English speakers. It is almost inevitable in my opinion. This scene has been played out countless times in our Country's history (with the exception of holdout enclaves in metro areas).

For example, my original home state of MN- settled by Germans, Swedes, Finns, Norweigens. Slavs etc, etc. 80 to 100 years ago, somebody could probably have offered up the same kindergarten senario with the same level of frustration. Today, some of those languages may be taught in classrooms, however, they do not threaten English as being the spoken language of citizens.

Only my opinion, I am wrong all the time. :eek:

15. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

I get it when the first generation immigrants can't speak english well, but it really pisses me off when their kids born here "can't" speak english. How stupid are they?

I have told a few of them at restaurants that they are in the US and they need to learn the prevailing language of their clientel. They get pissed off, proving to me that they know and speak english. Try it. It'll work on most of 'em.

I also find it funny when Asian folks can learn the language, both reading and writing and they don't even have the alphabet like we do. It looks more like chicken scratch to me. (No offense intended) But if they can learn it why can't these Mexicans and other "spanish" peoples who use the same alphabet as we do?

Last edited: May 3, 2009