The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Nothing to debate really. The AK is more reliable than the AR. The 7.62x39 (never thought these words would ever come out of my mouth) is out performed by the 5.56. Either way the military can keep them, I'll stick to bolt guns.

·
Registered
17,280 Posts
They have the pictures backwards. Under caliber they have the drawing of the 5.56 under the AK, titled 7.62, and vice-versa.

I am, however, both shocked and pleased to note that they know AR stands for ARmalite, and not for Automatic Rifle.

My little brother compared the two for an ROTC class, in 1975. Nothing new here (he decided the AR was better).

·
TFFWPP President
13,899 Posts
which one is Chevy and which one is Ford?

I think the AR is more popular for the same reason more street rods have a chevy motor. parts/accessory availability.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Tired of this. but holy LOL @ the "7 MOA" accuracy of the AR.

Wish people would get with the times and at least compare an AN-94 and a M16A4, with those being from the 1990's it's at least comparing "modern" weapons, not weapons from the late 40's and early 50's.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I tend to disagree with the service life. I would think that there are more older AK's out there and are still running just fine. I have a friend that has one that was built in the early 50's and runs some very fine groups at 100 yards. Its in fine condition. Stock looks to have seen some rough service life. he was going to restock it, but decided to leave it just the way it is. as he said " thats true history."

·
Registered
31 Posts
There are +s and -s to both, Throw an Ak in a sand box bolt open cover up come back in a month shake the sand out load and fire. do that to a Ar you have to clean it 1st then shoot. The Ak is loved due to the fact that it is low maintenance and cheap to shoot. I once saw a video of an Ak full auto slow motion it appeared that the barrel was flexing adding to the wide spread pattern. The AR full auto was more stable making it more accurate. I still have to side with the AR.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
I just want a few of each - no debate necessary and problem solved :)

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
The Colt AR15 has 100 yards longer effective range than an AK47. The HBar (ar15A2) has 400 yards on it. The ar style is significantly lighter as well. I can throw my ar in a sandpit...shake it out and fire it all day long. So no, there's no debate. People like the AK cuz it looks mean...the communists and terrorists use it because it's cheap and, with the fall of the USSR, it's extremely common.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts