This was a dream of mine once.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by firefighter1635, Jan 10, 2017.

1. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

My father got me my first dirt bike when I was 5 years old, I rode the wheels off that little thing. When I turned 6, I started competing in the 50cc minis class with the same bike. That was the start of a serious addiction. Through the years as I was growing up, I always had a dirt bike and always raced motocross. I done fairly well for myself, when I turned 16 I got my "A" liscense, this allowed me to race as a pro.

Racing in the pro class was a huge eye opener. Those guys were really, really fast! It took some adjustment, but I got used to it quickly and started turning podium finishes. I had the world in front of me as far as a racing career. When I turned 18, I tried my hand out in dirt track. I borrowed a friends 1200cc Harley and entered in the County fair. I've never competed in dirt track up to this time and only practiced a small handful of times. I ended up finishing 2nd in my heat race and 5th overall. I didn't follow dirt track too much after that, it just wasn't for me, only raced in 3 other races.

At 20 I wanted to try road racing. So I started racing an endurance series. My bike was a 600cc Yamaha. The team I was on was a great group of guys, we had a lot of fun. I only raced half that season. All the while I was still racing motocross.

Then....

On October 30, 1993 it all ended. I was at friends house practicing for an upcomming arena cross. About an hour into our practice I was getting pretty tired, but as friends do, we kept pushing each other. I came out of a tight hair pin turn on the throttle, 2nd gear, wide open. I had to be in 4th wide open before I hit the face of the next jump in order to clear it, it was an 80 foot triple that would launch us to the tops of the telephone poles. I had my line, I'm on the throttle in 4th, the face of the jump was comming up fast.

Just as I hit the face of the jump, my chain broke....I don't remember anything after that, even to this day. My friend said me and bike made it over the triple, but I wasn't on the bike. I lawn darted, head first into the dirt. I broke c1, c2 and c3 in my neck, I separated both my shoulders, broke my right wrist and both bones in my lower right arm and had a concussion so bad I was in a coma for 3 days.

Needless to say, that was it for motorcycle racing but before that happened I always dreamed of racing the isle of Mann TT.

One Shot, Big Mak, Gun Geezer and 8 others like this.
  2. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

Wow, just wow. Incredible story. The riders that do the Isle of Man are pretty amazing. There have also been some pretty tremendous crashes there.

Gun Geezer, joe45c, dbcooper and 2 others like this.

3. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

WOW!! Glad you survived that.

4. zkovach

zkovach Well-Known Member

I never had the balls to do that however you can putzz into town with me on a cruiser!

firefighter1635, joe45c and dbcooper like this.
  5. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

you'e so lucky to be alive and walking around

6. zkovach

Ever been to redbud? I grew up 15 minutes from there in Michigan. It's where the motor cross championships are around 4th of July weekend

7. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

I think it was a wise decision to hang the biker gear after that day!:eek:

8. SilasW

SilasW Well-Known Member

When I was in my late teens I worked at a 24 hour Texaco station next to an interstate Highway. Needless to say, at about 2:00 am there's not much going on. I had a Yamaha dirt bike (250 I think) and I was riding circles around the station. Somehow I didn't hang one of the turns and crashed into a metal dumpster. I figured it was a sign that motocross wasn't meant for me.

9. firefighter1635

Ya, me too!:D

I was in and out of consusness in the chopper on the way to the hospital. I couldn't talk or open my eyes but I remember one of the flight nurses telling the other that, "this one isn't going to make it". After I woke up 3 days later I had sever tingling in both my legs, like they feel when they're asleep. When it was all said and done, it took me 8 months to learn how to walk again.

I've raced redbud countless times, it was one of my favorite outdoor tracks. I don't have a bike anymore but someday I'll get a cruiser, that's my speed now.:D

dbcooper, crystalphoto and joe45c like this.
  10. zkovach

I've bet I drank more beers there then u went around the track? If not..... challenge accepted!!

joe45c and firefighter1635 like this.
  11. zkovach

I bought this for 3500.00 Yamaha Silverado 1700. I never go fast but it rides like a lazy boy on wheels
    IMG_2743.JPG

Gun Geezer and firefighter1635 like this.
  12. firefighter1635

Yup, that's my speed now.;)

dbcooper and crystalphoto like this.
  13. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member Supporting Member

You are a very lucky man.
    I knew a guy that used to race them crotch rockets. He was down in Daytona and got a piece of the grass. That's when all hell broke loose. He said that during his recovery, he wished he had died in the crash than suffer the pain.

firefighter1635 and crystalphoto like this.
  14. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Want to ride in my side car? Hell no!

firefighter1635 and howlnmad like this.