This Way, or That Way?

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by Joe Cortesi, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Joe Cortesi

Joe Cortesi Active Member

I had a debate on another forum with a youngster that insisted the best practice method for determining how consistent you shoot, was to set up multiple targets shooting one round at each target. Shooting tight groups was, in his opinion not beneficial.
    I countered with my opinion; Coming off the rifle after each shot was more beneficial as you not only have to reacquire your POA, but your cheek weld, butt position, etc. I've done it this way since I started using paper targets for practice, regardless of the type (bolt action/semi-auto) of rifle.
    Your thoughts.

Guts3d, carver and BlueDragonLair like this.
  2. Jester560

Jester560 Well-Known Member

The one dot, one shot targets are a beast to shoot. They require your fundamentals be near perfect.

3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I can understand his argument. If you have 6 target and you shoot one shot at each target, are you get 6 bull's-eyes, that's pretty consistent.

On the other hand, if you shoot 6 times at one target, and all six holes are in the same area, that's pretty consistent.

First time I ever shot a rifle. Boy Scout camp. One guy had five holes scattered all over the target, with one in the center of the black. Everyone was ooing and ahing over his bullseye. The guy running the range looked at my target, with the tight little group in the bottom right corner, and announced that I was a better shot. Said that the consistency of my shooting showed that I was a better shot. The location of the group just showed that the sights were off.

If we had only shot one shot, we would not have known the sights were off. It would have just looked like I could not shoot.

That is why you shoot groups on one target. To see if you can put them in the same area. Hitting the target has nothing to do with shooting ability. Tight groups show whether or not you can shoot.

Patches, Guts3d, carver and 8 others like this.
  4. Designer

Designer Well-Known Member

I see value in both styles of practice. Do both.

Guts3d, ms6852, Kvasir and 5 others like this.
  5. shootbrownelk

shootbrownelk Well-Known Member

By all means, do both. You can burn up a lot of ammo that way and practice makes perfect.

Guts3d, carver, ms6852 and 3 others like this.
  6. BlackEagle

BlackEagle TFF Chaplain Supporting Member

I take the tight group approach...multiple shots on one target. No semi-auto's over here aside from .22, so with bolt action or lever action or straight pull, it means re-acquiring point of aim with each shot (for me, at least).

Patches, Guts3d, carver and 5 others like this.
  7. Joe Cortesi

Joe Cortesi Active Member

Apples and oranges I guess.
    I hand load all my ammo, so I look for both my performance and my ammo’s and one target seems better for that

Guts3d, carver, Kvasir and 1 other person like this.
  8. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I look at it this way.
    It all depends on what gun you are using and what you plan to shoot with that gun.
    Target, Hunting, Self defense.
    For hunting I try to group them in the center.
    For self defense I use paper body targets and put the bullet where I want it to be Heart, Head, Body so on.
    Mike

9. Kvasir

Kvasir Well-Known Member

When I first learned to shoot, one shot per target was my only option because my targets were usually old soup cans. They don't often stay in the same place when you hit them.
    Now I will mix shooting for groups on paper, with reactionary self sealing targets.
    Both methods seem equally effective to me.

10. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

I loathe shooting paper and won't do it unless I'm sighting in or trying out a new gun. I like reactionary targets so for most of my shooting it's one shot, one target...Unless I miss.:D

11. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

I can remember getting scolded at Boy Scout camp for using Kentucky windage to put 3 of five shots in the bull, the first two shots told me how far off the sights were and what I needed to do to correct my point of aim with that particular rifle to hit the bull. The merit badge counselor was adamant that I should have aimed at the bull and posted the smallest group possible regardless of where the group was located. I told him I didn't care about group size if the group wasn't where I wanted it to be and if it was a squirrel I was shooting at for dinner, he'd much rather I missed by three inches too. Every time we got to go to the rifle range I ended up using a different rifle and after figuring out where it shot I then put the rest of my shots on the bull, the counselor would just leave me alone after he figured out I knew what I was doing.

Dad had taught us boys to shoot as soon as we could hold his .22 rifle and he taught us how to hit what we were shooting at even if the sights were way off like they always were at those carnival shooting galleries. :)

12. Guts3d

Guts3d Well-Known Member

Hah! You guys put holes in your targets, I have been re-using mine for years now. I am getting close!

13. One Shot

One Shot Well-Known Member Supporting Member

What’s a bull? :)

14. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

A fairly large animal with four legs(one on each corner)a tail(in the rear) and a head(on the front) with horns. :D

Arteest, Kvasir, Broot and 6 others like this.
  15. 68c15

68c15 TFFWPP President Supporting Member

And that's what our club does for benchrest. It's more work.

I like to shoot groups to see how a load or rifle function

Arteest, Kvasir, BlackEagle and 2 others like this.