This years Hunting seasons

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by 45nut, Sep 10, 2020.

1. shootbrownelk

shootbrownelk Well-Known Member

I have a red desert antelope tag for this year. I have 2 friends coming out from Wisconsin for Mule deer in October. I will probably shoot the antelope before they get here and I'm taking them out to a hunting area that I used to hunt elk in. I'll probably take my 20 gauge 11/87 along and try to bag a few grouse. My gonzo hunting days are long gone.

jwdurf and joe45c like this.
  2. 45nut

45nut Well-Known Member

Good, you can have at it. The last time I hunted public land in Texas (GMA near Corsicana), when the sun came up, I counted 11 other hunters in tree stands around the couple of hundred acres of clear cut with 2-3 year old brush in it.

Then as a doe eased out of the copse of woods to my left, another hunter was stalking down the fence row towards me. I was more concerned with that guy shooting me than shooting the doe and starting waving at him. He finally saw me and waved sorry and went the other way.

I read in the paper later that week, that at that GMA consisting of +/- 3,500 acres, there were almost 5,000 hunter in attendance.

I'll pay good money to honest landowners, kill deer and not be hunted by the unwashed masses. I'm a good little capitalist and I have not hunted public land again in Texas and never will. :cheers:

joe45c and shootbrownelk like this.

3. shootbrownelk

shootbrownelk Well-Known Member

I read that there is less than 2% public land in Texas. Ted Cruz stated that that is 2% too much. Maybe that's why I see so many Texas plates in Wyoming during hunting season.

45nut and sharps4590 like this.
  4. 45nut

45nut Well-Known Member

Crows know what shotguns are too. I have walked towards them with a long stick, nadda. Shotgun, they take off for Mexico!

5. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT No Power Options Supporting Member

45, that may be the case where you went but not where I`m talking about.
    This is old timber, no clear cut and i bet over the decades we have been there I have never seen more than 5 vehicles at any landing. Like I said this is rough country, you work for it.

6. 45nut

45nut Well-Known Member

Yeah, I understand. I have worked for a lot of venison in my life. I am more than happy to help folks pay property taxes, feed bills or a trip to the coast in exchange for a weekend hunt with my friends.

Good luck this year!! I hope you kill the old Hartford buck. download (2).jpg

crystalphoto likes this.
  7. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

WOW that looks like the buck hanging around my stand. (I wish):rolleyes:;)

crystalphoto likes this.
  8. Aspeck

Aspeck Well-Known Member

I killed a buck almost exactly like that one a couple years ago ... then I woke up from the dream ...

howlnmad, Gudaki and crystalphoto like this.
  9. crystalphoto

crystalphoto Junior Advanced Senior Member In Training Supporting Member

Haven't we all...

Gudaki likes this.