Those one of a kind shots you couldn't believe you made!

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Grizzley1, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

On another thread I kind of got side tracked a bit and related a story about one of those shots where you just put the gun down because you knew you'd spoil the illusion if you fired a second shot.:)
    That empty cig pack was about 25 yards out.

Another time, my cousin and I were on a bluff overlooking the Umpqua River shooting our .22 rifles and a honey bee started buzzing us, my cousin says Take that you silly bee, and holding his rifle with one hand like a pistol shoots at the bee and hits it. :)

When my youngest son was about 11 or 12 he decided to put a scope on my Marlin Model 57. So we are up at our shooting spot and he puts a water balloon on top of an old pallet we were using to hold targets Colton had sighted the Marlin in on. It's at about 80 yards and Colton is firing round after round at it trying to pop it. I've got a brand new rifle I'd built in .54 caliber and this is it's first time at the range and I'm loading it's first charge. I figured 70 grains of 2f black and a patched round ball was going to be the best place to start working the load from so that's what I loaded her up with. I tell Colton he better pop that balloon before I get this thing loaded and ready to fire 'cause if I get I a shot at it I'm going to. He says "Right dad, you haven't even sighted it in yet." I get her loaded and capped, take aim and pop the balloon first shot. I tell him you better pop the other one before I can reload this thing, my second shot popped the second balloon. I never did sight the thing in or change the load on that rifle, I figured if it can hit a 3 inch water balloon at 80 yards and do it twice in a row shooting offhand, why mess with what works.

So, tell us about your one shot wonders.

2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

The first 41 magnum I ever saw. Six and a half inch 3 screw Blackhawk. I buy it, and two boxes of ammunition. 210 grain hollow points - all they had. My brother and I go out to our "range". They had dredged a canal and dumped the dredgings at the end of the road. Big dirt mound. My brother picked up a four inch piece of two by four and stood it on end, about 50 yards from where we were. Then he took careful aim with his Mini 14 and shot a nice 22 caliber hole right through the middle of it. Said, "now you do that". First time I ever fired that gun. First time I ever fired a single action revolver. First time I ever fired a 41 magnum. Took out his bullet hole.

Went dove hunting. This was the first time I had been had a regular dove hunt, where there were a dozen or more hunters scattered around the field to keep the birds flying. And the birds were all over on the other side of the field. None came anywhere near me. Then off to my left I hear a small war start up. I look over there and there is one puny little dove, jinkin' and diving, like a World War II fighter going through the flak. Everybody is shooting at him. They all miss. Finally they either give up, or have shot their guns dry. And I figure, what the heck. I haven't fired my gun all morning. So I give a shot at this way the hell out of range bird. He falls like a rock. 80 yards from where I was to where he was at. I shoulda quit. Fired five more boxes of shells, didn't hit a damn thing.

Out with a friend of mine. Have my Mark 1 bull barrel. Bees are all over the place as we were setting up the targets. I finally got frustrated and took a snap-shot, and shot a bee out of the air. There was a flock of birds of some kind flying over, and my friend told me, "if you're so damn good, hit one of them". I just pointed it up in the air and pulled the trigger and one of them birds drop like a rock.

I'd been looking for a Smith & Wesson Model 58 for years. Finally found one. Took it out on the range. Actually had the intelligence to stop after that first shot.
    Quit while you're ahead.jpg

gvw3, rawright54, flintlock and 9 others like this.

3. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Okay, I was on the 16th hole looking at a 375 yard dogleg to the left......
    Oh wait!! Wrong kinda shot.

shooting at the ranch one summer with the family. A ground squirrel makes a run for it about 60 yards out running away at about a 45° angle. Mom says “hey Mark shoot that squirrel.” I snapped my Win Model 94 30-30 to my shoulder as you would shooting low gun skeet, drew a bead on the little bugger and let one go. Next think I hear is my mom saying with a concerned tone “you shot him.” I walk to investigate my kill and find this squirrel stone dead with a hole right behind his right shoulder mid body and out the other side. Couldn’t do that again if you gave me a week.
    ..........well probably couldn’t. ;)

ms6852, johnsxj, tedwitt and 7 others like this.
  4. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

My longest shot on an animal....well, crow, by far. When we we're raising beef we had a young man who worked for us from the 8th grade until he graduated high school and went into the Army. He literally became the third son. During the summer he usually came out on Wednesday or Thursday and stayed until Sunday evening, then went home for a few days. Anyway, Jason liked firearms and his Dad and Mom didn't care if he shot or hunted with me so all was good. Back then I was shooting a LOT of long range stuff and had two, 500+ yard ranges on the place, depending on what pasture the cows were in. It was a Sunday afternoon and Jason and I were going to play with my target rifle at 500. I had sighted it in dead on at 500 just the day before.

We were setting up the spotting scope, rifle rests and getting ready to go set targets when two crows landed what turned out to be 480 yards, + or - a foot or two. I told Jason to shoot one of them and he declined quite emphatically. Oh, he was about 16 at the time. Anyway, I offered again and he declined again. I told him then if they were still there when we got set up I was going to try one of them. They stuck around. I settled in behind the rifle, got my breathing settled down and sighted on the crow. Jason was on the spotting scope. The rifle was a Savage Tactical in 300 Win. Mag. with a 12X fixed, Leupold target scope with adjustable objective. One of the 3 most accurate rifles I've ever owned. Sooo...I "tetched her off" and before I recovered from recoil Jason yelled, literally at the top of his lungs, "YOU HIT THAT SON-OF...you know the rest. We jumped on the 4 wheeler and drove to where the crow lay...oh, the other one flew off....and looked it over. The crow had been facing me and the bullet went in the top of his head, more or less, and travelled the length of his body then out almost his butt. The bullet was a 190 gr. Sierra Match King, BTHP over 74 grs. of IMR-4831.

Jason served his tour in Iraq, came home and went to work for me as an electrician apprentice. When we moved to Wyoming in 1999-2000, yeah, it took a while, Jason asked to buy that Savage and I sold it to him. He worked up a different load and has fun with it killing deer & coyotes "way out there" in the Missouri River bottoms near Chillicothe, Mo., his families traditional home. He's also a Journeyman electrician in the Kansas City area, married with two kids, a boy and a girl. He was a good kid and grew into a fine man.

armoredman, JRK57, gvw3 and 10 others like this.
  5. TRAP55

TRAP55 Well-Known Member

Camping in the Idaho Sawtooths with WhiteClouder. I had just zeroed the PU scope on my M39 Finn Mosin that I assembled from parts, and stuck into a broken stock I had glued back together. He challenged me to hit a pumpkin size ice covered rock across the valley, and up in a ravine. Lasered it at 825yrds, and set the scope at 800m. loaded five round of heavy ball and he spotted.
    First round glanced off the side, scope adjustment for windage and put the next 4 dead on. You could hear them smack the rock a second after the "boom".
    Then he tells me, "let's see you hit it with the M44 and iron sights". Set the ladder at 800m, and used the same pine tree for support. That far away, I could barely tell where the rock was without a scope, but I knew it was right at the bottom edge of a strip of snow.
    Squeezed off the round, and heard the smack, but it could have been any rock up there. I knew I hit it, when I heard him say, "SOB, I'll be damned!".
    Way up there where the red arrow is pointing.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  6. Grizzley1

This isn't a shot I made, but rather a shot made by my friend and coworker David. He'd attended his club's monthly black powder shoot and on his way home he stopped at a relative of his place to teach his nephews how to shoot a flintlock rifle. The rifle was a .40 cal rifle that I had made. Anyway he takes a paper plate and drives a tack in the middle of it to hold it up. He loads his rifle teaching as he's loading and fires at the plate hitting the tack, driving the tack through the board and letting the plate fall to the ground. He was smart enough to make sure his nephews took all the remaining shots that afternoon.

Anyway, his rifle is indeed a "tack driver" :)

7. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

I didn't make this shot, my brother in law did. We were driving around shooting blackbirds (this was many years ago) and drove by a pond with some "coots" swimming around. My brother in law partially opened the truck window and without aiming his 10-22 started shooting at the coot, the coot started running across the water, and still without aiming he continued shooting and actually hit the coot while it was running across the water. He could tell where he was shooting by the rounds hitting the water. We all got a really good laugh out of it.

8. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

I've been trying to remember some of those "impossible" shots that I have made, and there have been a few over the years. The only one I really remember is the one I commented about in that other thread:

gvw3, shootbrownelk, tedwitt and 5 others like this.
  9. Empty_Holster

Empty_Holster Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Those OMG shots are fun to see and even more fun to remember....... they do happen.
    My AF buddy, Trent, and I were in the desert outside Stead AFB just shooting whatever moved. We had an M1 Carbine, a .357 revolver and a couple of .22's. Way out there a jack rabbit took off from our left to right; I grabbed the revolver and lead that old boy about 3 feet and squeezed off. DRT at 85 stepped off yards. Quitin' time!! Trent was an extremely good shot and did things quite often that would just make me shake my head!! GOOD TIMES...........

10. Grizzley1

This is one I saw my grand father (mom's dad) make when I was a kid using his 1911. We were out shooting and my dad stuck an empty 12 ga. shell on the bank and challenged grandpa to hit it. grandpa says that's too easy, don't stand it upright lay it on it's side with the base facing us. Dad says you really think you can hit it that way. Grandpa just smiled and said why not it's twice as big around as the bullet.

Grandpa aims and hits it. he probably could have done it again but that was the last round of .45 acp ammo he had with him, or so he said :)

gvw3, tedwitt, joe45c and 3 others like this.
  11. pdkfishing

pdkfishing Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Crow at about 350 yards offhand with a 45-70, iron sights, sighted in dead on at 50 yards. Held however much over you need at about 350 yards :D. Unfortunately, only one crow, so no chance for a repeat :rolleyes:.

ms6852, tedwitt, joe45c and 2 others like this.
  12. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

And I told a story about shooting a crow with a 12X scope. Wow pdk! Your bullet was probably rougher on that crown than mine was as well. All that BTHP did was poke a 30 cal. hole through the crow.

13. pdkfishing

pdkfishing Well-Known Member Supporting Member

405 grain flatnose cast at maybe 1300 fps. Not a lot of crow left as far as I can remember. Will admit that I might not be able to duplicate that one :D.

tedwitt and Clipper like this.
  14. Clipper

Clipper Well-Known Member

Long before we moved away from our little country place, I was home between trips, and we had been bothered by a skunk. One of the dogs got sprayed pretty badly and it was fierce getting that poor animal some relief. Late one night, heard the dogs greeting something, figured it might be the skunk, so I loaded my Blackhawk with a full cylinder of Mags, and went in search of the skunk....Had a big Mag flashlight in my left hand, the Blackhawk in my right, and I saw a glimmer of beady eyes way at the end of the yard, pulled hammer back, and with all intents of scaring the critter away, let fly...put out the light, figured he was gone for the night and the shot scared him out of the yard...next morning, found the dead skunk...him him in the mouth, exited thru the rear...probably a good 25 yards, at night...still brag about that Blackhawk..

gvw3, armoredman, tedwitt and 5 others like this.
  15. PRR1957

PRR1957 Well-Known Member

My turn to brag.

l had and still regret selling, was a Remington 700 PSS chambered in 223 Rem. This was by far the most accurate new out the box firearm I have owned to date. With my match prepped hand loads, and if I did my part, the rifle would shoot five shot groups into .005”@ 100 yards. With this rifle I was at a private gun club that had a 200 yard rifle range. I had brought some scab golfballs and started to shoot off hand starting at 50 yards. I would hit them sending them further down range. When the golfballs were finally down to the 200 yard back stop berm my shooting buddy notified me that I had an audience of other shooters watching me. If I remember correctly it was five golfballs and I hit everyone every time. I had to stop because I did not want to over heat the rifles barrel. The next weekend was that clubs monthly IHMSA silhouette match, and I won the unlimited class match, again.

With an old friend we drove to down to West Virginia for a week of hanging out in the Appalachian Mountains. We found an old stone quarry, so we did some shooting with the guns we brought along. My friend had brought a WW2 captured German Luger that his uncle gave him. At about 20’ my friend is shooting at a 2 liter pop bottle and missing at every shot. He asked me to look at the gun to see if there was something wrong with it. I look at it and could not find anything amiss with pistol, so I load up a magazine and commence to hit the bottle with every shot skipping it further away. On the second to last shoot at about 40 yards the bottle flipped up and landed up right. With one round left, I wagered my friend that I if I could shoot the cap off the bottle that he would pay for my lunch that day. He excepted the bet, and with next pull of the trigger the bottles cap disappeared. To be fair to my friend, I ordered for my lunch a burger with home cut fries.

I have in other instances were my shooting prowess amazed others, but I have to a tribute this to having very good shooting coaches in my youth, competing in both firearms and archery, and having very good eye hand coordination both right and left hand.

God had decided that if I was to be average in hight and looks that he would at least give me one heck of two trigger fingers.