Those one of a kind shots you couldn't believe you made!

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Grizzley1, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

This'un weren't me.

My father-in-law, who I had never seen with a gun, was all the time talking about all the different kinds of guns he had had when he was a kid, and the amazing shots he used to make.

Uh huh.

So I'us taking the family shooting, and he wanted to come along. We get out to my range, and on the other side of the canal, maybe 40 yards from where I'm parked, there's a big pine tree full of huge pine cones.

In the back of my pickup I have a box full of loaded pistols. Jim reaches in and pulls out my Mark 1 bull barrel, points it over across the canal at the pine tree, and starts going pow pow pow. And every time he went pow, a pinecone fell out of the tree. Then he put that one down and reached in the box and pulls out my six inch Python, and again starts going pow pow pow at the pine tree, and again the pinecones keep falling out of the tree. Then he puts it down and reaches in and brings out my Gold Cup, and again, pow pow pow and the pine cones fall out of the tree.

I'm standing there thinking, "maybe them stories weren't BS. That sumbich can shoot!"

I will admit, all three of those guns were target pistols, but they were my guns. He'd never touched them before.

Impressed me.

gvw3, armoredman, joe45c and 8 others like this.
  2. tedwitt

tedwitt 440 Supporting Member

I figured with a 30/30 you gutted and skinned him all in one shot.

3. tedwitt

tedwitt 440 Supporting Member

My most surprising shot, running rabbit about 50 yards with my .22 magnum Ruger.
    Head shot.
    He sure was good beside the taters.

joe45c, sharps4590, PRR1957 and 4 others like this.
  4. TRAP55

TRAP55 Well-Known Member

Forgot the best one. Same place in the Sawtooths, camped in a creek side grove of pines infested with pine beetles. The grubs would drop down on a silk web, and were about a 1/4" long.
    I have a "very beat up" Colt Officers Match .22 Revolver that I got cheap with broken grips, no blue, rust pits, and the bore is ringed from a squib. This abused truck gun will still hold a .5" group with any ammo.
    We're sitting there in camp chairs plinking, and we all see this pine grub come down on his silk, about 15ft in front me. I pointed at it and popped off a .22 Short, missing it. That got WhiteClouder and CritterGetter to razing me that I'd never hit it. I bet Crit his 5th of Yukon Jack, and one of his Cuban cigars, that I could get it in 3 shots.
    Came close enough with the 1st shot, to make him start climbing back up. Then a breeze started him swinging. I followed his swing with the sights and squeezed one off, and he disappeared.
    That night around the campfire, I enjoyed a $75 Cuban, and a bottle of Yukon.:D

armoredman, PRR1957, joe45c and 2 others like this.
  5. Kvasir

Kvasir Well-Known Member

I've made my share of impressive shots with firearms, and have "Robbin Hood" arrows (split them) several times. But this is one that I never would have expected.
    Many years ago I was a framing carpenter. While building a new house out in the country the job site was invaded by wild turkeys. Dozens of them coming within twenty feet of us every day. One of the guys said he wanted to bring a 12 gauge, and take one for dinner. So just messing around I hold my framing hammer out at arms length sighting through the claws. I throw the hammer as a joke expecting it to fall far short. But it hits the turkey right in the head, killing it instantly.
    While inside I couldn't believe that happened, I acted like I do that every day. Went and got my Hammer back and retrieved the bird. Handed to the guy that wanted it, and went back to work like nothing happened.
    After that I could end disputes on the job just by putting my hand on my hammer without saying a word.

gvw3, armoredman, PRR1957 and 5 others like this.
  6. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Wow a friend and I were just talking about this.
    This is a true story. One shot I will never forget.
    I was in my early teens and a hunting buddy and me were out walking thru the woods looking for small game he had a shotgun and I had my single shot rem. .22.
    We had a few squirrels and 1 rabbit.
    Then out about 100 yards there was a pheasant it was walking across a opening and I told Steve I need to use his shoulder as a rest and he said sure go for it so I rested my gun and aimed and took a shot the bird started to flop around and we went up to it to find I had shot it right thru the head. He still brings up that shot when we talk.
    It was the best shot I ever took.
    But we all know that as good as I think I was with that old .22 that it was a.
    LUCKY SHOT.....
    Maybe with a little bit of good shooting on my part.
    But lucky or not it still was the best shot I have ever made.
    Mike

7. Screener

Screener Well-Known Member

I'd sighted my 6.5 creedmoor at 200 yards when the range safety officer set up a 12g husk at 300 yards and challenged us shooters to hit it. My first shot struck dead center. Last shot of the day, I wasn't going to beat that one

gvw3, sharps4590, PRR1957 and 5 others like this.
  8. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Luckiest shot, ever. The crow at 480 yards wasn't luck, it was just about set piece. My absolute luckiest shot ever also involved Jason. There is a particular bird of fair size, if skinny as a rail, that I would not allow on our ponds. One pond was 200 yards on the money from the ridge fence row to the dam. One of our gardens was along that fence row. I saw one of these birds land in the cat tails and immediately headed for the house to get my 788 Rem. in 222. Got back to the fence row and asked Jason, who was working in the garden and had watched everything, if it was still there. He replied it was still in the cat tails. I couldn't find the darn thing thru the scope so took a couple steps to one side....with Jason at my elbow. Said bird must have thought something was up because it took off, dead away from us. The critter stayed low, not yet seeking altitude and was directly in line with my woods so I took a snap shot at what had to be about 225 yards. Said critter tumbled to the ground, deader than Kva's hammer. Jason yelled, "That was a good shot!!" I corrected him and said, "no, that was a LUCKY shot", the crow was a good shot.

9. flintlock

flintlock Well-Known Member

A memorable shot, ok, the dumbest lucky shot I ever made, was hitting an arrow that was stuck in the ground that we'd had a clay bird on at 50 yards distance with my Single Six. And I called the shot.
    There were a couple of the local troopers there shooting when we walked in, making lot of noise and I guess shooting pretty well. Well, the arrow was out on the line so I said to my friend Dave "I'll just shoot at the arrow." And I did, and I hit it, then Dave shot, and he hit it! The look on the faces of the other guys was great, they couldn't believe we did that. Next Sunday we had to find another old arrow to hold targets, but it was sure a good day!

10. Wild Turkey Cogburn

Wild Turkey Cogburn Well-Known Member

My son had brought a FREE donkey home. I caught the jack kicking my cows off of the hay bale and not letting them eat.

I told son to get rid of d*** jackass or I was going to shoot it.

A week later, we are working on the gate to the pasture and I hear this blood curdling scream. Look up and the jack ass about 75 yrds away, has my 9 month old colt by the back of the neck and slammed to the ground.
    I yell and start running towards them. Son says, I'll get the rifle and heads to the truck.

I have a Ruger SP101 hammerless DAO 2" .357 on my hip. I am pulling the gun, out of shape, 60 yo, fat man in boots, running up hill.
    The jackass let's my Colt loose and runs . About 150 yards out, he looks back. Both of running, I aim over his head and pop a shot off.
    He flips over and hits the ground. Son hollers, I dont believe it, you hit him
    I look at him and say, I told you I was going to shoot him.
    We walked out to look. I hit him dead between the eyes. Never knew what hit him.
    Never admitted that it wasn't exactly what I was trying to do.

11. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Well cogburn, you also relieved yourself of having a pet democrat. It even acted like one.

12. zant

zant Well-Known Member

After a 12hr day,we were breaking down the range,I decided to hang 4 -4" steel at 100yds,back with the guys they're all complaining it was stupid to put them at 100yds not 50.I grabbed my favorite rifle-Betty Jean-spun around and hit them all,put the rifle down,popped a beer and told them all they were little girls.......Afterwards my buddy slides over and says-That was the luckiest shooting I've seen all week,I smiled and said-Why do you think I put that rifle down so fast and grabbed a beer,I could'nt do that again if your life depending on it.

armoredman, PRR1957 and Empty_Holster like this.
  13. AZ2VET

AZ2VET Well-Known Member

A couple years ago a friend came to the house to do a bit of shooting with his G43. After a while he asked the distance to a plate I had set up further back. I told him, 75 yards. After about 15 misses he hands me the gun and says for me to try. I told him I'm not good with Glocks but would try. Got a good grip on it and aimed and elevated a touch and fired. PING. Handed it back to him and said well it ain't the gun. He asked me how I did it.

PRR1957 likes this.
  14. bluesea112

bluesea112 Well-Known Member

I was deer hunting with a .243 on the river a few years back. The wind was blowing a constant 20 mph with much stronger gusts, and it was swirling as it came into the river between the cliffs. I saw a nice 8 point come down to the river 600 yards down stream. I had a ballistic calculator app on my phone. I punched all the numbers into the ballistic calculator, and it told me to dope the scope a rediculous number of turns for elevation and windage. I thought there was no way it was correct, but i did what it said. The deer started walking very fast upstream from left to right, so i put the crosshairs on his nose and pulled the trigger. The bullet hit him at the base of the neck just above and slightly in front of his shoulder, and dropped him dead. It may not sound like a miraculous shot, but if you had been there to see that swirling wind you would understand why I am so proud of that shot.

15. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Garandaholic Supporting Member

The wife and I were shooting "stuff" off what I call the table. a 2x12 laying flat about 18" off the ground. We shoot garden stuff (overripe tomatoes, zucchini that got to big, melons that didn't ripen etc.) It's fun, it's good practice and gives a use to stuff that otherwise wouldn't have one.
    Standing at about 25 feet, I nail a peach, (pitted fruit are great, they EXPLODE). A tiny field mouse runs up the leg and is tearing down the table, without thinking, I just take the shot. Nailed him, and he was really moving!
    Handed the gun (10/22) to the wife and went inside. I wasn't making a better shot than that!

gvw3, sharps4590, PRR1957 and 3 others like this.