Thought I'd drop this ol' bone off here...

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by Crpdeth, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Well-Known Member

This knife has been in my possession for about ten years and for sentimental reasons it will only leave that place, to go to the original owners son, who knows nothing about it, if he ever settles down in life to the point that I believe he'll treasure it instead of throwing it away.

It's well used and I like that, the man was said to have carried it in his boot every day, which to me... Well, I've tried to carry knives in my boot without a clip and I just don't see that as being possible with this setup.

Anyway, I've done a fair share of research on it and I think it has stag handles. I've seen it called everything from an Alfred Williams cutlery knife, to fighting, hunting, Bowie, Cowboy, Military... It has Manhattan Cutlery Company Sheffield stamped on the tang. I've seen them list for everywhere between 100.00 up to 600.00.

Thought you guys might like to see it...

Sheffield.jpg

Hawg, howlnmad, carver and 4 others like this.
  2. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

It's a post 1900 "Bowie hunter" pattern. Handles are stag.
    Has nothing to do with military or fighting. Just a hunting knife vaguely shaped like a Bowie knife.

Hawg, joe45c, BlackEagle and 2 others like this.

3. Old Guns

Old Guns Well-Known Member

These knives are actually quite common. They are usually made in England by many manufactures. Blade length has a lot to do with the price. If I remember correctly 5 inch is the most often seen and then six. Anything over 6 inches is worth a bit more. Of course like anything else condition is everything. Many show use like yours. Many of them had acid etched panels on the side.

joe45c likes this.
  4. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff* Supporting Member

There was the movie THE IRON MISTRESS way back in the early 50's.....I have
    never forgotten the story though the movie won no accolades or awards...The
    story was molding a star fragment into the steel to make the blade...Chief

Images for ALAN LADD IN THE MOVIE ABOUT A KNIFE

More images for ALAN LADD IN THE MOVIE ABOUT A KNIFEReport images
    [paste:font size="4"]Bowie Knife Fights, Fighters & Fighting Techniques. . .: Alan Ladd as ...
    Oct 20, 2010 - Alan Ladd is credited as author of a newspaper article about his experience playing Bowie, which I reprint below. I would guess it's not Ladd's work but that of some press flack, but it does provide some background to the movie. I like to make action pictures and I like them to have plenty of action. As a result ...

5. Crpdeth

Thanks guys, it's nice to separate facts from bs and I know that Bill knows his stuff, as do others here... Not being a huge knife guy myself (I love them, but I don't have a lot of knowledge about them) it'll be nice to tell the young man a few facts about it when I hand it over.

joe45c and carver like this.
  6. The_Doctor

The_Doctor Active Member

Very cool knife, Crpdeth! Made me dig out my late Father's handy scabbard knife and

clean it up a little. I think they both may have a common background, as I "believe"

Dad brought this back from Europe in WWll. (RIP, Dad)

DSC06952.JPG DSC06953.JPG DSC06954.JPG DSC06955.JPG

The_Doctor

Hawg, joe45c and Crpdeth like this.
  7. Crpdeth

Doc

Thanks for digging that out, man... I need to clean mine up as well, I wouldn't be surprised if it's never been oiled.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

joe45c and The_Doctor like this.
  8. The_Doctor

The_Doctor Active Member

Thanks, Crpdeth. Yeah, Dad's old knife was left in a toolbox for far too long and

forgotten. When I came across it, the sheath was suffering from white mold, and took

a bit of time to bring back. I just wiped down and lightly oiled the blade.

Thanks to @Old Guns for explaining where these treasures came from!

The_Doctor

Crpdeth likes this.
  9. Old Guns

Old Guns Well-Known Member

I would advise against cleaning it. Cleaning an old knife is a sin in the collecting world. Your knife has a nice brown patina and shows use as you can easily see the blade has been sharpened more then once. I have cleaned up a lot of old leather with the white mold or mildew. I use Windex. It will clean away all the dirt and mold. It leaves the leather a bit dull at first as it will be wet for a short time but once it dries which does not take long you can buff it back to it's original state with a soft cloth.

Hawg, Crpdeth and The_Doctor like this.
  10. Crpdeth

Hmmm, well, I did hit the stag and the blade with a little CLP, but I'd never go scrubbing on it. I wondered about the mold and how to go after it, but I didn't want to take away from it's natural look either, so thanks for the Windex tip, I may try that.

From the looks of things it'll be many more years before I pass it down, I've even given my wife instruction for where it should go if I pass.

Thanks guys, I'm enjoying the conversation.