Thoughts on .32 S&W Long

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Mr_Flintstone, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Mr_Flintstone

Mr_Flintstone Active Member

Does anyone have thoughts on the effectiveness of .32 SWL for self defense? Is there an ammo option that will make one a legitimate option for self defense? I know all the "better than a sharp stick" comments that may come, but I'm seriously interested in your comments. I don't carry one, I carry a 9mm or .38 Special, but I would like to know whether or not something this small can be counted on if the need arises.

Suicide*Ride and jim brady like this.
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

I don't know the answer to your question but I reload .32 ACP and I do know that hollow point bullets are produced for .32s. I would not feel under protected with a .32 but would feel a little better if it had HP ammo.

3. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

I don't carry a .32 ACP (7.65 Browning) for self defense, but if you go back in history, European military and police have used it quite effectively. The .32 S&W Long is more powerful than the .32 ACP, so logic tells me that it would work as a personal defense caliber.

4. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

If you hit something that counts and it penetrates deep enough it might do. No handgun round is the hammer of Thor. If I was depending on the 32 long I would shoot wad cutters. Practice with Fiocchi and load Buffalo Bore hard cast for carry. The BB is warm but still within SAIMI pressures. Generally the 32 long Wad cutters are very accurate. Being soft shooting doesn't hurt marksmanship either.

Suicide*Ride and jim brady like this.
  5. Mr_Flintstone

Mr_Flintstone Active Member

I found this from Lucky Gunner. I know wadcutter handloads for this round can be pushed a lot faster, so penetration shouldn't be a problem for that round. No expansion though.

[​IMG]

6. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporting Member

jim brady likes this.
  7. Designer

Designer Well-Known Member

I have a Ruger Single Six chambered in .32 H&R magnum. Not much recoil, but i would sure hate to get shot with it.

jim brady likes this.
  8. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

agreed. When out biking or when I need super discreet cary I have a keltec p32 in 32 acp. I wouldn't mind having more, but I certainly don't feel unarmed either. As said, 32 long is even better. I just started reloading 32 long and 32h&r magnum. I'm making some nice lrnfp projectiles for them. I have charter arms "The Professional" in 32hrmag. I primarily shoot 32 longs in it..feels good, even in that cartridge, easier to stay on target than with 38/357, and you get 7 rounds. Not bad. I also have a breaktop h&r in 32, fun to shoot, and still viable as a discreet carry.

good sectional density with a 32 as well.

jim brady likes this.
  9. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

Yes it is. When you depend on a mouse for security it needs to be well fed....:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    Suicide*Ride likes this.