The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm kind of straying away from the common Ruger and Marlin .22 rifles, looking for something unique and interesting, I came across H&K's MP5 clones. THe same company that makes the legendary MP5 Navy SEAL Sub Machine Gun.

There are two models, both with 16" barrels (including permanently attached compensators), SD clone of the integrated suppressed MP5, the A5 based on the original MP5 with attached suppressor.

http://www.HK22rimfire.com/mp5-sd
SD

A5

Think these would be fun plinkers? I was thinking these .22's just might sound like a suppressed 9mm :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the A5 model and love it. Have around 2000 rounds through it with only a couple of problems feed problems, one of which I caused. The thing eats every type of ammo I have fed to it, even feeds properly with subsonic (not the pistol stuff) ammo. As for how it sounds, I don't think you'd even need to wear hearing protection if you didn't want to but since I have only shot it at public ranges I've never tried. One added bonus is on almost every outing it has sparked conversations with people wanting to know what it is and I've met some pretty interesting folks that I might not otherwise have spoken to.

The only gripe I have heard from family members I have let shoot it is that is pretty heavy, though I don't find it to be so myself.

Haven't tried it out on targets beyond 100 yards but busting soda cans at that range is easy with the ITACH 3X scope I added to mine. Never even tried the iron sights on it so I can't speak to that aspect.

Takedown on the gun is easy, very similar to an AR style weapon. Cleaning it following the manual is a pain but if you are willing to take it down the job is much easier. The compensator isn't permanently attached, it can be removed with the supplied wrench. From what I can tell its main purpose is to hide and protect the pencil profile barrel, not exactly sure what it would be compensating for anyways....

Big down side to it, though not anything with the gun itself, is ammo availability. Things being what they are, affordable .22lr ammo is a bit of chore to track down at reasonable prices.

All in all, my A5 has definitely become my favorite .22 rifle and if for some reason the one I have went kaput I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy a replacement. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask and I will answer if I can :D

My A5 with scope mounted:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts