The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there has been a few posts lately by learned members about 45-70 guns. so my mind said to me "you have not shot that rifle in some time, why?"
so pulled it out, grabbed some ammo and went to the shooting bench. ten rounds later and i have a REnewed respect for anyone that can deal with recoil. the rifle still shoots well. it does amaze me that all my reloads are on the bottom of load data and still punish me so. cleaned her up and back in the safe. wait i have not shot that gun in a long time, so out comes my 25-35 savage 99. oh so sweet! she has the recoil of a pop gun. what a difference.
"what's in your safe?"

rick

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I have a 30-30 26" oct barrel Canadian Centennial that Winchester made in 1967. I put a peep sight on it and love shooting that rifle. Years ago I would go to what they called a "Steel Buffalo shoot". They used the old silhouette targets along with a few hand made steel buffalo targets that were larger and heavier and only rimmed cartridges were allowed. The only rimmed cart rifle that I had was this one and so I took it. All shots were from 200 yards and were divided between standing, kneeling, maybe sitting also iirr and a bench. My favorite shot was the 200 yard chicken target from the standing position. I always loved hitting that and many would miss it. But that BUFFALO! He was nearly impossible for my rifle to topple. I tried everything to make it go over. 165 gr spitzers loaded very hot, 170s, 150, hitting it high on the hump but only one time that I can remember did it go over. I'd come to the range early to practice a bit with another load. I took out the chicken which was good along with the turkey, the pig and the ram. Then came the buff. I aimed high on the hump and it went over and I nearly jumped for joy and looked around the range to see a group way off to my right holding their bellies in laughter. Yup, they had waited until I shot and someone in the group with a 45-70 had fired at my buff at the same time I did. Yes, that 45-70 does have quite a wallop.

·
Administrator
13,929 Posts
I'm anticipating the first few shots with my new to me 45-70. Hopefully I'll enjoy shooting it.

Rick, I assume you were shooting smokeless reloads. I'm looking forward to shooting some BP loads.

Maybe next week when I have this dumpster full. I've got a crew coming tomorrow and Sunday to get the place cleaned up.

·
Super Moderator
44,168 Posts
I took one of my "thumpers" to the range earlier this week so I could empty some 45-70 brass for Don. I think I shot 4 rounds and that was enough for me, I let my grandson shoot the other 14 rounds. That was the HEAVY one that we shot, don't want to think about what my H&R would feel like.

·
Registered
11,736 Posts
Don, I have a feeling that new to you .45-70 is going to thump pretty good, those things don't weigh a whole heck of a lot. I figured my Sharps would put a thump on me the first time I shot it but at a touch over 10 pounds it wasn't bad with black powder loads. Far more pleasant than my friends Marlin in .45-70, those things thump pretty good :)

·
Administrator
13,929 Posts
Dave, I'm thinking about putting lead shot in the stock bolt hole or pour a cylinder shape for some extra weight. It is about an inch in diameter and over 6 inches long. Probably could get at least 2 pounds in there. That would make it about 10 pounds.

·
Registered
11,736 Posts
With black powder they might not be too bad, the one that put a hurt on my shoulder was a Marlin guide gun and factory ammo and it wasn't the trapdoor safe ammo, lol.

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm anticipating the first few shots with my new to me 45-70. Hopefully I'll enjoy shooting it.

Rick, I assume you were shooting smokeless reloads. I'm looking forward to shooting some BP loads.

Maybe next week when I have this dumpster full. I've got a crew coming tomorrow and Sunday to get the place cleaned up.
"crew"??? you have had all week. must have been goofing off with that 45-70. smart move!

rick

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I stopped by my favorite gunsmith's place years ago and he told me I had to try this. He pulled out a 45-70 revolver. I backed away knowing how much that would hurt. I'd shot my 14" 30-30 Contender years ago one handed at 100 yards and actually hit the pistol target I had out there. Not sure if it was a fluke or not, I had to do it one more time and hit it again. I said, "never again" as my wrist knew that was a stupid thing to do. So when I saw that 45-70 revolver I wanted nothing to do with it. Well he convinced me to try it and I was surprised how tame it was. Not sure what it weighted, but for a novelty handgun, it was kind of neat.

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well now you guys have me wondering about my desire to have a 45-70. Don't know which one I may choose but do want one. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
i have a 1885 winchester reproduction by uberti. it is heavy and still will punish you. getting old is not fun with regarding recoil. i used to shoot 12 gauge 3" a lot and not even notice. 30-06 180 gr full load, same. i just adjust and move on. that 45-70 with BP is different and i think a softer push. a bit more work loading and cleaning. "a man has to do what a man has to do"
i may give up on smokeless with the big bore, so i can enjoy the firearm more. my interest in single shot rifles this last few years seems to be insatiable. "life is good"!
to answer your question; try to shoot someone else's to get an idea. after i shot George Moody's 45-70 i had to have one and did. you are not far from me so........,
rick

·
Premium Member
15,480 Posts
The 38-55 had trouble knocking over the buffalo and that with a 255-280 gr. bullet.

The Marlin is a bit light for the 45-70. I had one back in the late 70's or early 80's and it didn't bother me but, I was in my late 20's and early 30's so I was still 10 feet tall and bullet proof....I thought.... :whistle: I probably wouldn't like it now.

How much felt recoil the 45-70 is going to deliver is largely going to be effected by bullet weight. Shooting BP, to me an increase in bullet weight always seemed to have a greater effect than powder charge. BP does have a completely different recoil impulse than smokeless. Many others have described it as a "big push" and, I'd agree with that. However, when bullet weight reaches 480 grains up to 520, over 60+ grains of BP, it becomes a pretty good push in a light rifle.

Powder charge weight is also a factor in the recoil calculation.

My 45-90 shooting the 480 Gr. NEI bullet over 80 grs. of BP pushes pretty good in a 10 1/2 lb. rifle. My 45-100 with the Lyman 457125, 520 gr. bullet over 90 grs. of BP is.....brutal BUT, that is much more a function of the crescent buttplate of the Ballard 1 1/2 Hunter rifle. That thing is like shooting a rifle with a pitch fork for a butt.

If I want to really feel macho, the 450/400 NE with full house loads is an attention getter or I can always borrow my buddies 450 NE. I never feel macho very long....

And all this rifle talk reminds me I need some trigger time...

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The 38-55 had trouble knocking over the buffalo and that with a 255-280 gr. bullet.

The Marlin is a bit light for the 45-70. I had one back in the late 70's or early 80's and it didn't bother me but, I was in my late 20's and early 30's so I was still 10 feet tall and bullet proof....I thought.... :whistle: I probably wouldn't like it now.

How much felt recoil the 45-70 is going to deliver is largely going to be effected by bullet weight. Shooting BP, to me an increase in bullet weight always seemed to have a greater effect than powder charge. BP does have a completely different recoil impulse than smokeless. Many others have described it as a "big push" and, I'd agree with that. However, when bullet weight reaches 480 grains up to 520, over 60+ grains of BP, it becomes a pretty good push in a light rifle.

Powder charge weight is also a factor in the recoil calculation.

My 45-90 shooting the 480 Gr. NEI bullet over 80 grs. of BP pushes pretty good in a 10 1/2 lb. rifle. My 45-100 with the Lyman 457125, 520 gr. bullet over 90 grs. of BP is.....brutal BUT, that is much more a function of the crescent buttplate of the Ballard 1 1/2 Hunter rifle. That thing is like shooting a rifle with a pitch fork for a butt.

If I want to really feel macho, the 450/400 NE with full house loads is an attention getter or I can always borrow my buddies 450 NE. I never feel macho very long....

And all this rifle talk reminds me I need some trigger time...
oh ya! that crescent buttplate!!! the inventor of that evil device was a monster! if i could i would mount a recoil pad to mine. a good one. might look like crap, so what. i have to have glass and there is not any more eye relief for a pad. i will not cut a stock on any rifle that is that new and pretty.

rick

·
Premium Member
20,796 Posts
I don't have any rifles over my 308. Recoil is not bad in my 308. But I do own a lot of shotguns. My Mossburg 535 magnum is a real punisher with the 3 1/2 turkey loads. I bought a box of 5 shells just to see what they were like. I shot one and my son shot one. I told my son he could have them if he wanted but he didn't. I ended up tossing them out. I will never try that again. My shoulder hurt for a week.

Reactions: tuckerd1

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
^^^

You should try one of those 3 1/2" turkey loads in one of those 5 1/2# NEI single shots. They would back me up 3 paces. Sort of fun when I was younger and even more fun watching someone who thinks it won't do that to him get pushed back the same 3 steps. I took it to my gunsmith wondering if he could do anything to it to tame the recoil a bit. He said sure, just tape a brick to the end of the barrel. :eek: It got traded off soon afterwards. They were not bad with field loads or even std high brass, but even 2 3/4" turkey loads started getting painful. I bought it because it came with iron sights installed but they are just too light.

Oh, the friend who offered the 3 1/2" turkey loads also had them for his Mossberg 535 Magnum.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't shoot much anymore except upstairs where I smith to test repaired firearms. I have a Ruger No 1 in .458 Win mag that I reload for. 350 gr at 2000 fps. Its a pretty good thump but doesn't hurt. The last shotgun I shot at work was chambered for 3 1/2 and fired a turkey load. It almost knocked me down. Way more punishing than my .458.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts