The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
14,416 Posts
I'm anticipating the first few shots with my new to me 45-70. Hopefully I'll enjoy shooting it.

Rick, I assume you were shooting smokeless reloads. I'm looking forward to shooting some BP loads.

Maybe next week when I have this dumpster full. I've got a crew coming tomorrow and Sunday to get the place cleaned up.

·
Administrator
14,416 Posts
Dave, I'm thinking about putting lead shot in the stock bolt hole or pour a cylinder shape for some extra weight. It is about an inch in diameter and over 6 inches long. Probably could get at least 2 pounds in there. That would make it about 10 pounds.

·
Administrator
14,416 Posts
all this interest in "thumper" so i went and loaded ten rounds with BP. same 350gr bullet as smokeless. 60gr BP an over powder card. no drop tube so used the vibrator cleaner to settle the powder [FFg]. what a difference! there is definitely a push, not a whack to the shoulder. crescent butt plate was not an issue.
average vol. 1225fps at 50yards 1 1/2 with one flyer opening it to 2". this is about as good as it gets for this old man. i did a wipe after each shot with 50/50 water ethylene glycol. tip by Paul Matthews. cleanup was a snap. a very good day for rick.
i liked it so much i cast a small pile of more 350gr 45-70 bullets and prepared a bunch of cases. tomorrow, tomorrow, more fun tomorrow.
what did you'all do?

rick
I gotta get down there Wednesday!

·
Administrator
14,416 Posts
I added 1# 3oz of lead to the stock of my 1871 today. Rifle weighs almost 9# now.

Also added a ShockEater slip on butt pad. Sort of period correct looking. I was pleasantly surprised that emblazoned "ShockEater" did not show up as boldly as it does in this photo. I almost didn't buy it because of that.

Brown Bag Rectangle Tints and shades Font

Rick and I are going to run some BP cartridges thru this rifle tomorrow. It is supposed to rain all day, but that is not stopping us.

·
Administrator
14,416 Posts
Yes it was a great day! It was a super visit and Rick taught me some things today. And he is a very generous man!

The trigger on that Buffalo Classic is at least 8 pounds! After a few shooting technique pointers from Rick, I finally got where I could concentrate on the trigger pull. Also, the Williams sight has no business being on that 45-70. About one hundred yards is all that sight can get with BP. I did shoot minute of deer at 100 yards.

After the extra weight added in the stock and the ShockEater recoil pad, my shoulder is not even red after shooting 30 rounds.

Anyhow, it was a great time today!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts