The Firearms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
My gunsmith had a Siamese Mauser loaded with really hot 45-70's. I'm not recoil sensitive but three rounds of that was all I wanted. Factory 45-70 doesn't bother me a bit.

·
GUNZILLA
8,401 Posts
I bought 40 rounds of 500 gr and 535 gr postell bullets from Buffalo Arms that I have yet to shoot as I have yet to make it to west Texas where I want to try my sharps at 800 and 1000 yards. I do shoot 405 reloads and factory on it and it kicks my butt and the max I shoot here is 300 yards. After 5 shots I roll up a towel and place it in the middle of the crescent shape butt plate. I need to take my 94 30-30 and shoot it, it has been a couple of years.

Reactions: Gudaki and Grizzly2

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
A friend of mine who recently purchased a Henry Big Boy brass receiver chambered in 45/70 that I’m taking a break to write this from loading 100 cartridges for his rifle. I’m using his supplied Hornady XTP 300 gr. with virgin Starline brass, CCI-LgR primer and IMR 4895. I’m loading using Hodgdon’s Lever gun load data to a mid range load. I know that rifle which only weighs 8 pounds with a curved brass butt plate is going to be a shoulder bruiser.

I had a 14” T/C Contender barrel chambered in 45/70 that I’ve talked about in the past here several times. I shot less then 100 rounds through before I sold it to someone else who probably regretted paying it. Brutal and painful recoil in a handgun.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I, have a Henry in 45-70. When I bought this, I also bought a Limbsaver recoil pad, to use when I went to the range. Shot a whole box of factory ammo, my shoulder did not hurt or bother me. I, only use it at the range. When I hunt, I usally have on a thick coat. Not only that, I can handle one shot.

·
Premium Member
16,012 Posts
Griz is right and I wouldn't argue correct placement of rifles with crescent buttplates for a second. Out on your upper arm where they belong they aren't bad. What I didn't say and should have is I was talking about benched and bagged. That and the 45-100 is quite a bit more than any of my 45-70's were.

As others have mentioned, I never noticed the recoil of any while hunting.

·
Deer Stalker
6,571 Posts
Both my Springfield Trapdoor and Shiloh sharps are heavy. The thump ain't there like the pair of Ruger .44 mag carbines!
I gotta use a slip on cover for the short lightweight Ruger 44's.

·
Registered
12,070 Posts
On those crescent butt plates you don't hold them on your shoulder like a shotgun butt. You hold them out on the ball of you shoulder with the top of the crescent over you shoulder and the bottom under you arm pit. Elbow up and upper arm at 90°to your body. Raising or lowering your elbow adjusts the tilt of the rifle.

·
Registered
12,070 Posts
Perzackly!!!
I'm stealin' that word Vic. Back in the old days as rifles were transitioning from front stuffer to cartridge you could get a rifle with a rifle (crescent) butt plate or a shotgun (flat) butt plate. The 1877 Sharps could be had with both styles, I think Sharps,( the company, not our Vic) referred to them as English or American styles. Those late Vincent Ohio style rifles will teach you how to hold a front stuffer correctly in short order. Good thing they were small caliber rifles or their exaggerated crescent butt plates would puncture you in two places if you held them like a shotgun stocked rifle.

• Haha
Reactions: sharps4590

·
Registered
12,070 Posts
For your viewing pleasure, an original John Vincent full stocked percussion Ohio rifle. Caleb Vincent's half stocked rifles had an even worse "evil" pitchforked crescent butt plate. :)
Rectangle Wood Slope Parallel Font

Caleb's butt plates were about an inch longer on the top of the crescent.

·
Registered
144 Posts
CZ 550 American Safari in .416 Rigby

Air gun Wood Shotgun Hardwood Gun accessory

Custom rifle built on a Mauser action in Weatherby 460 Magnum.

Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Gun barrel

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I once had a very strong urge for a Winchester Safari Grade .458 but told myself that the buffalo weren't coming back to Illinois and I knew I'd probably never go to Africa. But, it pointed so nicely it was so hard to resist. I wonder how many of us have actually used one of these thumpers on anything big enough to need one.

·
Registered
12,070 Posts
Me and my .45-70 "thumper" after it's first round downrange, it's still in the white at this point of the build and you can tell by the grin on my face that the "thump" or the evil crescent butt plate didn't bother me too badly.
Plant Plant community Ecoregion Hat Sky

·
Premium Member
16,012 Posts
Gemmer anything's are just COOL!!!!

I haven't G-2 but, I've just about always had something dangerous game suitable. I never harbored any serious dreams of Africa, I did that vicariously through several friends. I just like the rifles...uhhh...the OLD rifles, doubles, old Mausers, Mannlichers and the like. None of the newer stuff, say post 1950, hold any appeal for me at all EXCEPT for the Ruger #1 and I'd rather it was an Alex Henry but, they're cost prohibitive for me.

Alexander Henry, Edinburgh --- Hammer Underlever Falling Block Single Shot Stalking Rifle --- .450 3 1/4" BPE for sale (gunsinternational.com)

That's the only single Henry I could find quickly...they're sumthin'

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
all this interest in "thumper" so i went and loaded ten rounds with BP. same 350gr bullet as smokeless. 60gr BP an over powder card. no drop tube so used the vibrator cleaner to settle the powder [FFg]. what a difference! there is definitely a push, not a whack to the shoulder. crescent butt plate was not an issue.
average vol. 1225fps at 50yards 1 1/2 with one flyer opening it to 2". this is about as good as it gets for this old man. i did a wipe after each shot with 50/50 water ethylene glycol. tip by Paul Matthews. cleanup was a snap. a very good day for rick.
i liked it so much i cast a small pile of more 350gr 45-70 bullets and prepared a bunch of cases. tomorrow, tomorrow, more fun tomorrow.
what did you'all do?

rick

·
Registered
12,070 Posts
Gemmer anything's are just COOL!!!!

I haven't G-2 but, I've just about always had something dangerous game suitable. I never harbored any serious dreams of Africa, I did that vicariously through several friends. I just like the rifles...uhhh...the OLD rifles, doubles, old Mausers, Mannlichers and the like. None of the newer stuff, say post 1950, hold any appeal for me at all EXCEPT for the Ruger #1 and I'd rather it was an Alex Henry but, they're cost prohibitive for me.

Alexander Henry, Edinburgh --- Hammer Underlever Falling Block Single Shot Stalking Rifle --- .450 3 1/4" BPE for sale (gunsinternational.com)

That's the only single Henry I could find quickly...they're sumthin'
Before I built that Gemmer styled Sharps I was tempted to buy a modern made copy of the Frank Wesson number one long range action and build on one of them. Alexander Henry sued Wesson for patent infringement on the lever release on that action and won even though Wesson built them before Henry filed for the patent on it's release mechanism. It's still up in the air who came up with it first or if they both came up with it independently, Henry filed for the patent first and Wesson had to stop making them.

·
Administrator
14,416 Posts
all this interest in "thumper" so i went and loaded ten rounds with BP. same 350gr bullet as smokeless. 60gr BP an over powder card. no drop tube so used the vibrator cleaner to settle the powder [FFg]. what a difference! there is definitely a push, not a whack to the shoulder. crescent butt plate was not an issue.
average vol. 1225fps at 50yards 1 1/2 with one flyer opening it to 2". this is about as good as it gets for this old man. i did a wipe after each shot with 50/50 water ethylene glycol. tip by Paul Matthews. cleanup was a snap. a very good day for rick.
i liked it so much i cast a small pile of more 350gr 45-70 bullets and prepared a bunch of cases. tomorrow, tomorrow, more fun tomorrow.
what did you'all do?

rick
I gotta get down there Wednesday!

·
Registered
12,070 Posts
what did you'all do?
You'll have to try 405 grain bullets in it, you might get the group to close up a bit. what did we all do, why, I read about you thumping some bp rounds and wish I could still get up in the hills and thump my shoulder with one of them.

Reactions: sharps4590

·
GUNZILLA
8,401 Posts
On those crescent butt plates you don't hold them on your shoulder like a shotgun butt. You hold them out on the ball of you shoulder with the top of the crescent over you shoulder and the bottom under you arm pit. Elbow up and upper arm at 90°to your body. Raising or lowering your elbow adjusts the tilt of the rifle.
Thanks, did not know this. I'm gonna try this now, luckily I am a lefty and would have been hesitant to shoot it that way if I were right handed since I dislocated and broke my right shoulder.

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
You'll have to try 405 grain bullets in it, you might get the group to close up a bit. what did we all do, why, I read about you thumping some bp rounds and wish I could still get up in the hills and thump my shoulder with one of them.
i have 405's just a weenie, "bigger bullets mean bigger bump".
i will most likely have a go with them, just going slow what with Tenn coming up fast. lots to do before then.

rick

21 - 40 of 71 Posts