The Firearms Forum banner
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
post #60 above. those are tuckerds legs and shoes. my target i talked about earlier on this post.
had a great day with Don! we, mostly he, loaded some 45-70 BP and he shot it in that new to him rifle. he will or should tell you all what a nasty trigger it has. he told me several times, maybe a lot of times. that not withstanding he punched a lot of holes in some paper. yes he was smiling.
i am looking at it like a warm up for the Tenn get together. i will say it again, it was a great day.

rick

·
Administrator
13,856 Posts
Yes it was a great day! It was a super visit and Rick taught me some things today. And he is a very generous man!

The trigger on that Buffalo Classic is at least 8 pounds! After a few shooting technique pointers from Rick, I finally got where I could concentrate on the trigger pull. Also, the Williams sight has no business being on that 45-70. About one hundred yards is all that sight can get with BP. I did shoot minute of deer at 100 yards.

After the extra weight added in the stock and the ShockEater recoil pad, my shoulder is not even red after shooting 30 rounds.

Anyhow, it was a great time today!

·
Premium Member
15,389 Posts
Great!! Glad you guys got together.

Yes it was a great day! It was a super visit and Rick taught me some things today. And he is a very generous man!

The trigger on that Buffalo Classic is at least 8 pounds! After a few shooting technique pointers from Rick, I finally got where I could concentrate on the trigger pull. Also, the Williams sight has no business being on that 45-70. About one hundred yards is all that sight can get with BP. I did shoot minute of deer at 100 yards.

After the extra weight added in the stock and the ShockEater recoil pad, my shoulder is not even red after shooting 30 rounds.

Anyhow, it was a great time today!
Some of my most favorite times shooting has been when two, likeminded souls get together to work out things, be that with a rifle or handgun. There's a camaraderie present and a relationship grows in the process. The pondering, running ideas past each other, trying various ideas....whatever the process. It's just satisfying and enjoyable.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Great!! Glad you guys got together.

Some of my most favorite times shooting has been when two, likeminded souls get together to work out things, be that with a rifle or handgun. There's a camaraderie present and a relationship grows in the process. The pondering, running ideas past each other, trying various ideas....whatever the process. It's just satisfying and enjoyable.
wish i was that good with words. well said!

rick

·
Premium Member
15,389 Posts
Well Don, there ain't no 12 step program for it....lol!

I honestly believe that of all the rifles I've worked with, over all the decades, I've had the most fun and satisfaction shooting BP, whether cartridge rifles or muzzleloaders. It just puts a grin on my face I can't wipe off. There's been some frustrations also but, they were definitely part of the fun and learning process.

I will forever credit my first double rifle, a BP cartridge double from the 1870's, for teaching me more about real handloading and internal and external ballistics and, with a cartridge for which any published data for its use in a double rifle was non-existent. I'm not talking about bullet drop tables or ballistic charts, they can be found in most loading manuals and for that rifle and cartridge were next worthless. I'm talking about in the field, at the bench where you had to figure it out....because there wasn't anything to draw information from and no one I knew at the time had a clue as to what I was up against or even talking about. It was immensely frustrating but, when it finally came together, after 6 months or more, it was worth every bit of the frustration, effort, study and application. I wish every handloader could experience that.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Welcome to the addiction! Next thing you know you'll be looking at front stuffing Pennsyltucky long rifles and and half stocked Hawken rifles.... :eek:
Got one of each of those. One of my favorite small game hunts is stalking squirrels with my 32 caliber pennseltucky long rifle. A lot more fun than using a 22. My 50 caliber Hawken is my favorite big game muzzleloader. Had to put it on the back burner for a few years due to trouble seeing the sights but now my eyes have improved to the point I can use open sights again it will be with me this muzzle loading season again. Looking forward to getting reacquainted with the old girl again.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts