The Firearms Forum banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
post #60 above. those are tuckerds legs and shoes. my target i talked about earlier on this post.
had a great day with Don! we, mostly he, loaded some 45-70 BP and he shot it in that new to him rifle. he will or should tell you all what a nasty trigger it has. he told me several times, maybe a lot of times. that not withstanding he punched a lot of holes in some paper. yes he was smiling.
i am looking at it like a warm up for the Tenn get together. i will say it again, it was a great day.

rick

·
Administrator
15,088 Posts
Yes it was a great day! It was a super visit and Rick taught me some things today. And he is a very generous man!

The trigger on that Buffalo Classic is at least 8 pounds! After a few shooting technique pointers from Rick, I finally got where I could concentrate on the trigger pull. Also, the Williams sight has no business being on that 45-70. About one hundred yards is all that sight can get with BP. I did shoot minute of deer at 100 yards.

After the extra weight added in the stock and the ShockEater recoil pad, my shoulder is not even red after shooting 30 rounds.

Anyhow, it was a great time today!

·
Premium Member
17,175 Posts
Great!! Glad you guys got together.

Yes it was a great day! It was a super visit and Rick taught me some things today. And he is a very generous man!

The trigger on that Buffalo Classic is at least 8 pounds! After a few shooting technique pointers from Rick, I finally got where I could concentrate on the trigger pull. Also, the Williams sight has no business being on that 45-70. About one hundred yards is all that sight can get with BP. I did shoot minute of deer at 100 yards.

After the extra weight added in the stock and the ShockEater recoil pad, my shoulder is not even red after shooting 30 rounds.

Anyhow, it was a great time today!
Some of my most favorite times shooting has been when two, likeminded souls get together to work out things, be that with a rifle or handgun. There's a camaraderie present and a relationship grows in the process. The pondering, running ideas past each other, trying various ideas....whatever the process. It's just satisfying and enjoyable.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Great!! Glad you guys got together.

Some of my most favorite times shooting has been when two, likeminded souls get together to work out things, be that with a rifle or handgun. There's a camaraderie present and a relationship grows in the process. The pondering, running ideas past each other, trying various ideas....whatever the process. It's just satisfying and enjoyable.
wish i was that good with words. well said!

rick

·
Premium Member
17,175 Posts
Well Don, there ain't no 12 step program for it....lol!

I honestly believe that of all the rifles I've worked with, over all the decades, I've had the most fun and satisfaction shooting BP, whether cartridge rifles or muzzleloaders. It just puts a grin on my face I can't wipe off. There's been some frustrations also but, they were definitely part of the fun and learning process.

I will forever credit my first double rifle, a BP cartridge double from the 1870's, for teaching me more about real handloading and internal and external ballistics and, with a cartridge for which any published data for its use in a double rifle was non-existent. I'm not talking about bullet drop tables or ballistic charts, they can be found in most loading manuals and for that rifle and cartridge were next worthless. I'm talking about in the field, at the bench where you had to figure it out....because there wasn't anything to draw information from and no one I knew at the time had a clue as to what I was up against or even talking about. It was immensely frustrating but, when it finally came together, after 6 months or more, it was worth every bit of the frustration, effort, study and application. I wish every handloader could experience that.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Welcome to the addiction! Next thing you know you'll be looking at front stuffing Pennsyltucky long rifles and and half stocked Hawken rifles.... :eek:
Got one of each of those. One of my favorite small game hunts is stalking squirrels with my 32 caliber pennseltucky long rifle. A lot more fun than using a 22. My 50 caliber Hawken is my favorite big game muzzleloader. Had to put it on the back burner for a few years due to trouble seeing the sights but now my eyes have improved to the point I can use open sights again it will be with me this muzzle loading season again. Looking forward to getting reacquainted with the old girl again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
In 2003 I used a custom Marlin 1895GS (SS Guide Gun) handloaded with Nosler 300PP over 55.3 grs. of RL-7 to take 5 plains game in South Africa. I'm not recoil sensitive (5'8"/175 lbs.), but with the 300gr. Nosler @ 2150 fps (muzzle) in was plenty stout out of the Marlins 18" barrel. Fast forward to the present, the same rifle is now in my 35yo son's possession, I'm done with it! ;)

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
My biggest "thumper" was a converted Model of 1917 Remington re-barreled (20") to .458 Win Mag. Tested it out with 500 grain full power factories. Not a whole barrel of monkeys. First test fire shot was from the hip firmly holding the rifle away to make sure everything held together. The safari style sight on the barrel came back and laid a gash on my left hand. Next shot was shoulder fired. The whole world turned 'white' for a brief moment from the recoil and muzzle blast.

Like I said, not bunches of giggles to shoot. I went to 385 grain cast bullets after that. Much more shootable - more like full power .30-06 with 180s. I'd bought the rifle for bear protection (they used to turn capture/problem bears loose on my place near Pike's Peak). After 2 steel plates in my spine I had to give up MC riding and the .458.

·
Premium Member
17,175 Posts
A good friend and former customer has hunted Africa on several occasions. He has a Searcy, 450 NE double and let me bring it home to play with it. It's about the same as the 458 Win. Mag. and definitely not a plinker with full house loads. I didn't play with it much. As MS said, you didn't wonder if it went off.

As of now my upper limit is my 450/400 with full house loads and about 4 of them is enough fun.

Reactions: tuckerd1

·
Registered
161 Posts
My best friend and I went to a gun shop in London where he bought a Boss 470 nitro express double rifle and a box of shells ( 10 rounds of Kynoch). He shot one round I shot 1 round and we shamed a cowboy from Lubbock Texas to shoot 1 round ( which set him on his posterior). He still has the rifle and 7 rounds of Kynoch shells. It was about the same as a 12 gauge 3 1/2” slug recoil. I could not imagine hunting on a regular basis with such a behemoth. A man has got to know his limitations.

·
Premium Member
17,175 Posts
Ya know, one has to admit those big bores, those rifles chambered in cartridges effective on dangerous game, are great deterrents. I haven't had any Cape Buffalo or pachyderm difficulties in our gardens as long as I own one. Wish I could find a rifle/cartridge combination that was as effective, merely by its presence, against deer and squirrels..... :whistle:

Reactions: MS 9x56

·
Registered
161 Posts
Ya know, one has to admit those big bores, those rifles chambered in cartridges effective on dangerous game, are great deterrents. I haven't had any Cape Buffalo or pachyderm difficulties in our gardens as long as I own one. Wish I could find a rifle/cartridge combination that was as effective, merely by its presence, against deer and squirrels..... :whistle:
Problem with deer and squirrels is they don’t have sense enough for a gun to scare them. A dog is a much better deterrent but only as long as you can keep the dog interested;)

·
Premium Member
17,175 Posts
Steele stays interested but, being a Husky, he might stay interested clear into the next county!!!

Reactions: MS 9x56

·
Registered
161 Posts
Steele stays interested but, being a Husky, he might stay interested clear into the next county!!!
Had that problem with a beagle named bandit who once got on a fox track and didn’t swing back around for an hour and a half. I went back to the house made breakfast ate it had 2 cups of coffee. Then stuck my head out the door and very faintly heard him baying his way back up the mountain. Grabbed my shotgun and headed back into the woods across the road fully intending to beat him silly after that deer ran by me when lo and behold 15 minutes later this red fox comes running towards me with his tongue dragging the snow. I shot him at 15 yards putting him out of his misery. 10 minutes later here comes bandit trailing up to the now dead fox gives it a sniff and collapses. I had to pick him up and carry him home. He slept till the next morning and appeared none the worse for the wear. Wasn’t no quit in that dog and I miss him terribly.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts