The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older 12ga double barrel that is a little loose at the breech. I understand this can be corrected by tightening the action. How is this done? Do I need a gunsmith or is it something I can attempt myself. The gun is a wallhanger and has little actual value.

·
Banned
5,425 Posts
If it's simply going to hang on the wall why bother working on the action?

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Depending on the gun and the degree (and cause) of the looseness, the cost of tightening the gun can run from $50 or so into the hundreds. Unless there is something special about the gun, or it is something like a Parker, the work would probably cost more than the gun is worth. And, as noted above, it doesn't matter for a wall hanger.

Jim

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Loose breech, my limited experience was , 1930s, my GFather's 1880s Belgian damascus double 12 ga loose mostly in the latch. Being a resourceful kid with a 'scientific' mind, I carefully dinged the ledge of the latching lug on the bottom of the barrel to upset a bit of material and take up slack. Made it as tight as new. Closing tighter pulled the 'doll's head' deeper into the receiver, good job all around.

The gun, GFather bought used in 1886, in So. Texas, accounted for quite few deer in black powder days. Me, smokeless, fired it hundreds of rounds, jack rabbits, cottontails, ducks, snakes, whatever crawled, ran or flew.

As above suggested, now a wall hanger for my Son-in-law.

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
A lot of times looseness is caused by a worn hinge pin. You can replace it or for just a wall hanger you can probably extrude it enough by tightly locking a pair of vice grips on it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why do I want to repair it? There is a huge market in this area for old doubles with hammers. Folks advertise in the paper looking to buy them. The gun would be more salable if it didn't wiggle and there is the potential I might make a few bucks. YEEHAW.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.