The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to redo my smith 1911.
The first thing I want to replace is the trigger. I want a adjustable so there is no slack.
Any suggestions on a good trigger?.
Then I am going to polish the sear/hammer and maybe try to lighten the trigger.
Any thoughts?.
I have already tightened the slide. And have done a few other things but I am always looking for ideas.

·
Premium Member
9,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't be of much help as I would ask you about this.
Oh I do know what to do but have gotten different opinions on brands of triggers and brands of spring kits and so on but want to know your thoughts and experience with what brands of replacement parts. I am sure some of you have gotten parts and then said WHY?. because they fail or do not do there job right.

·
GUNZILLA
6,478 Posts
Sorry goofy, can't help. I polished the sear/hammer on my 1911's but I can't remember the kit I used, I know it was a tactical at 4 pounds, and a super at 3 pounds on the others for plinking. The tactical is the one I carried. Don't even know if Brownells still carries it.

·
Premium Member
9,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used to use the Wolf spring kits.
I don't care much for the modern style of hammers , What I do like is the old "beaver tail " hammer with very sharp checkering.
Yes I am going with wolf springs. I have used them before and like them.

·
Administrator
32,192 Posts
I have used hammers from Kings, Wilson and Les Baer.
I liked them all. I usually use an extra long trigger and an arched mainspring housing
to fill my hand. Wolf Springs with a 16# variable power recoil spring.
Add a couple of Metalform mags to the mix and you will be good to go ..
………...………… until you decide to add something else. LOL
I do prefer a slight amount of slack for take up then the trigger breaks like a glass rod.
I usually have very light triggers in my 1911's for target work and about 3 - 3.5 # in my carrry
pistol.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Along with a tight slide, have you thought about changing the barrel link for perfict barrel lockup. I did it to my 1911 and it made a big difference.

·
Super Moderator
26,948 Posts
How about stoning the trigger track?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am going to redo my smith 1911.
The first thing I want to replace is the trigger. I want a adjustable so there is no slack.
Any suggestions on a good trigger?.
Then I am going to polish the sear/hammer and maybe try to lighten the trigger.
Any thoughts?.
I have already tightened the slide. And have done a few other things but I am always looking for ideas.
Sorry, I dont know where to find those parts.

Good luck with your mods.

·
Premium Member
9,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
OK most of you here know I am a gunsmith and know what to do. And how to do it.
I was looking for and asking for the names of the co. of the parts you have used and what are your thoughts on them.
@Old School or Nothing I was not looking for a lesson on who made the first 1911 This gun is NOT a collector like my Ithaca 1911 but a carry gun. I know all about fitting parts (I do it all the time as a living).
Again has ANYBODY used things like a titateum firing pin and are they worth the price or a A&B High performance spring kit or a Howlan trigger kit and so on?.
Answers like what @grcast or @Shooter45 (Thank you both) is what I am looking for.
Barrel link WHO'S, Nighthawk or Wilson or Ed brown, EGW and so on.
Trigger WHO'S- STI, Wilson, Ed brown, and so on.
I know about and will be polishing the sear/Trigger but WHO'S sear or Trigger.
Do I just work with what I have or change the parts to better made and better working parts and.
WHO'S PARTS?.
That is what I am asking for. I can see all the triggers (And so on) in Brownells and read there reviews but who can trust what is said on the internet?. I am looking for reviews from my friends here on TFF.
You know the people I trust what they say.
This is NOT a collectors gun it is used EVERY day as a carry gun. A gun that gets shot EVERY weekend. It does not have to hit dead center at 50 yards but have a quick response, Light trigger, Good recoil and so on.
A self defense gun.

·
Administrator
32,192 Posts
The Colt Combat Commander in my avatar is my daily carry pistol.
It was worked by Armond Swenson, Ken Hallock and myself.
It's reliable and will hold a sub 1" group.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
I have used the one piece Bo-Mar rib sight /and Aristocrat one piece sights. Expencive but well worth it.
Makes your 1911 a real head turner.

Never mind , I just realized you said "carry "

" titateum firing pin ". Don't , waste of money for no noticable gain.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I was looking for and asking for the names of the co. of the parts you have used and what are your thoughts on them.
@Old School or Nothing I was not looking for a lesson on who made the first 1911 This gun is NOT a collector like my Ithaca 1911 but a carry gun. I know all about fitting parts (I do it all the time as a living).
Again has ANYBODY used things like a titateum firing pin and are they worth the price or a A&B High performance spring kit or a Howlan trigger kit and so on?.
Answers like what @grcast or @Shooter45 (Thank you both) is what I am looking for.
Do I just work with what I have or change the parts to better made and better working parts and.
WHO'S PARTS?.
That is what I am asking for. I can see all the triggers (And so on) in Brownells and read there reviews but who can trust what is said on the internet?. I am looking for reviews from my friends here on TFF.
This is NOT a collectors gun it is used EVERY day as a carry gun. A gun that gets shot EVERY weekend. It does not have to hit dead center at 50 yards but have a quick response, Light trigger, Good recoil and so on.
A self defense gun.
Wilson Combat has lots of goodies. Here's their 911 trigger order page.

Since your a smith you probably know that a light trigger with an overtravel screw is not a trigger job.

Brownells has the rest of the stuff you may need. Like others also stated you still have to tweek the springs to get what you want. These are in stock.

Since I do my own smithing I dont buy drop in parts. Giving a little TLC to existing parts will get you the same results and you can keep the $200 in your pocket. But hey, thats just me.

P.S. If your pistol has a std type hammer spur you may also have to replace the grip safety with a deep cut or beaver tail type because the hammer in the Nowlen kit is shaped differant. Or, reuse your current hammer.

·
Super Moderator
26,948 Posts
WHO'S PARTS?.
A self defense gun.
Well why didn't you say so to begin with? :D

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
I've built so many 1911's I lost count. I could type pages of tricks and mods I've done and tried. Aftermarket parts now, are a lot of things we made our self before you could buy them, and rival the aftermarket for 10/22 parts. I can tell you, if Wilson makes/sells it, you can't go wrong. Polish and clearance all the internals. Function and accuracy is what you are after.
Figure out what your personal preference is, beavertail, extended safety, slide release, mag release,etc, and go from there. A couple of things I can recommend. Shooter mention the Wolff variable power recoil spring. I tried em all, and that's all I will use now. Full length guide rods are akin the the 9mm vs .45acp discussions. I've seen good and bad results from using one. The huge exception is the Wilson Group Gripper. If it doesn't improve your group, I'll buy it from you!

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Mike, I would hazard a "yes guess" not knowing if S&W did any internal design changes to JMB's design. Call Wilson and ask them, great people to deal with.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts