The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am doing a full tear down on a Winchester 1894 Carbine Sporting Rifle 32-40, s/n 4052, 26” Octagon Barrel. I have gotten to the point where the Forearm is loose and ready to come off, but the little bracket for the screw threads is in the way of moving the Forearm forward enough to clear. Needs another 1/16 or 1/8 of an inch. Is there a trick to getting that Wooden Forearm off without breaking it?

Next of course is how to remove the Full Magazine as well.

Thank You.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you Helix_FR of Helixgunsmith.com for the very helpful reply. Unfortunately, to my knowledge, I think I have removed everything you have mentioned. The spring was broken inside the Magazine, so it did not go anywhere. I will have to replace it. My assumption at this point is that either I must pull very hard on the Magazine or remove the little pin around the "Ring" bracket holding it to the barrel, but I will not do anything without advice. My Magazine Plug does not have two holes going all the way through to the barrel and a long screw. It has only one hole and a filler screw that does not touch the barrel. It does not utilize Front and Rear Bands either. Instead, it utilizes an end cap over the wooden Forearm held on with two screws and a "Ring" bracket toward the muzzel end to secure the Magazine to the barrel. The "Ring" bracket appears to have a pin going through it near the barrel. Possibly driving that out, loosens the grip of the ring? I will show a couple of pictures:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/I0l1H7ChUvxBcl3s_WKOFKNtpkjlSk34TV1m1--gsQg?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Z11XcCJHnw70r1jhPMg5rqNtpkjlSk34TV1m1--gsQg?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/_eLqswZxzPdI-G7svBFcK6NtpkjlSk34TV1m1--gsQg?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/8mwrjoGQll4kj-JbjXWTXKNtpkjlSk34TV1m1--gsQg?feat=directlink



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you. Any further advice if the Magazine is almost frozen in place. I tapped the muzzel on a piece of redwood 2x4 a number of times and managed to move it forward about 1/4" or so almost flush with the muzzel, but I can not seem to get it to go much further. I am soaking it in penetrating oil, but not sure that is going to do it. It had already been in it a number of days. Any advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated. So close.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you nmckenzie. Great ideas. I will try them this weekend or during the week if I can find the time.
And to Helix_FR, from the view in the Receiver, the Magazine has not yet cleared the Receiver and the opposite end of the Magazine is almost flush with the Muzzel. The Wooden Forearm has only been able to move forward a 1/16 of an inch, if that. Nothing worth mentioning. It does appear to be wedged in the Receiver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again everyone for the very thorough advice. I have been soaking the small gap I created between the Receiver Forearm and the Mag Tube. I will report back once I try these ideas with a good measure of patience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well folks, I wanted to report back with success and thanks to all. I ended up purchasing a 36" x 1/2" Oak Dowel (for push rod) & a short piece of 5/8" Poplar Dowel (Softer for Magazine Plug). I cut a small 5/8" plug for the end of the Magazine and trimmed it to make it slightly smaller so it was a snug fit and drilled a hole in the plug and put a temporary wood screw in place. Then, when I went to put the push rod through the receiver into the Magazine, it would not clear the Upper Tang (long piece that slopes downward off the back of the Receiver). So, I cut the Dowel Push Rod into several 5" pieces. I then loaded them into the Magazine one at a time leaving a 6" piece remaining. I then angled another wood dowel downward to meet the last Push Rod piece and began taping with a hammer. Several medium solid tapes and it began to move. It had to be taped most of the way out.
THE CONCLUSION:
There was a minor bit of surface rust in one small spot, but I think the biggest issue was years of caked on oil, grease and dirt just locked it into place.
My thanks go out to everyone. I hope this helps someone else down the road.
I will say too, it was very handy to find out that the First Model 1894 was built with many of the same parts or more similarly to the 1892.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top