Titanium Nitride finish for AK 47

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by The Count, Aug 11, 2010.

1. The Count

The Count New Member

i just saw a couple pics of a pistol with a titanium nitride finish. looks awesome, kinda goldish-green or so. anybody know who does this and what the cost might be? am thinking about giving my yugo ak47 underfolder a eye catching finish. any suggestions? (but not hard chrome, too common :)

2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

if you can electrolysis coat you can nitride coat

its a cross between electro plating and parkerising and i've seen some very good work done buy a guy on another forum , its about time i went over and sent him a invite here to show you his work i have some pic's but swiped em off there so i'll ask before posting ..

he's done a number of items for folks too and i think he's in delaware if that helps

i'll invite him over and we'll see

cheers

3. The Count

The Count New Member

thanks, cant wait to see some pics and get pricing.

4. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

TiNi is applied in an industrial setting. It is prohibitively expensive to set up at home or in a small business. It is probably the most durable finish available.

5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i hope to surprise you all , i thought the same on anodizing aluminium parts but now do it at home too , awaiting a responce

but yes if done indoors the air extractors will send you broke but if you have a outdoors setting saves a lot of money

6. Bill DeShivs

Anodizing, plating, bluing, browning, and Parkerizing can be done simply.
    Nitriding is an industrial process that requires some very specialized and expensive machinery-so much so that there are very few places that do it. I would love to be surprised and proven wrong. If it can be done at home, I'll be all over it!

7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

shocked me too Bill , the guys either conned a few of us or has taken it down to the basic's , i read up on it afterward and yeah its a big deal but from what i have seen he gets it done , all i can honestly say .. its on a forum so... i asked question and grabbed a pic , but thats all i have seen , i've sent the invite , so i guess we'll see

i think the guy is on the up and up .. but i'm a simple soul and like to take folks at their word

the acids and such are not cheap ( what is now?) but it dont take that much to do a receiver or slide , other than that i gotta wait and see too

cheers

8. Bill DeShivs

Jack,
    Nitriding is done in a vacuum chamber, and the process is similar to sputter welding.

9. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

thats what i read too eh , but .. i guess we'll see ,, dont want to argue with you as i was awful skeptical myself.. but he say's he can do it chemically(in a fluid to exclud oxygen if i remember , dont quote me though) , not as fine a finish , but durable and thats i want for my use, again i guess we'll see , just hope i dont end up looking like a goose (again ;) ) i'm no expert and have asked the man himself ..

10. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Bill i'm only going off some posts on a forum, if i'm wrong call me anything you wish , but i like to beleive folks, some of the things i've been told are impossible i do myself now , so i try to beleive , but i'm often wrong that way , again i have not done it nor understand it all ( above my head ) but i try, so i hope he'll respond .. if not .. licence to say and call me anything you wish is open ...

11. Bill DeShivs

The only thing I would call you is "trusting."
    I hope there is a method for doing nitriding economically, as I want to do it.
    But, my bet is the guy is painting his guns with Duracoat, and telling people otherwise.